Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - January 12th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Cool and damp here in Aberdeen with no real hints of wintriness. Things looks so messy that it is hard to know what to expect even later - sleet would probably be a good bet. Based on the FAX charts, things are looking very decent for much of Scotland over the next few days with at least a couple of bands of frontal snow crossing the country.

From a personal perspective being on the E coast and in the shelter of the mountains will either be good or bad news in terms if snow risk. My worry at the moment is the "rain shadow" and "warmish sea" effects are going to ruin what could be great and indeed most likely will be elsewhere in the country (which is good news!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Will be interesting to see how far the Scandi ridge nudges west, nae doubt West Lothain will get blootered by a stalling front whilst I am in Bonnie Aberdeenshire in the freezing rain !!!

Heading back sunday though ( see SS Winter Tyres action post).

Posted

I think the usual "Newmachar" rule may apply (snow to the west/ sleet or rain to the east)... Hoping for something today here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

From what I can make the GFS 00z was a good run but the ECM has decided to go it alone :( Such a shame as we had model agreement, hope rejoins the GFS/UKMT soon.

It was also a few people talked a out Sunday/Monday snow is downgraded but is that down south, sorry to ask all these questions is diffcult to weed out the rubbish in the MT :)

I think that's more for the southwest of England, warm sector still looks to affect them but most of mainland Scotland should probably get away with it as currently modelled (latest UKMO update had no mention of anything other than snow for here from tomorrow onwards).

I wouldn't worry overly about dew points today, as long as the DP is below 1C you can often get away with a less than favourable dewpoint from an easterly provided the air mass and temperature are cold enough.

Posted

LOL, can I blame you then Lorenzo? If you're a little inland I think you should see at very least, something wintry falling.

If it loads, the animation on www.sat24.com is very good (along with the radar) at watching the clouds/air masses/precipitation head in.

Simon, you are not allowed to hog all the snow if arrives.

Edited by doctormog

Posted

In fact, hint of sleetiness now!

Aye just seen tap o' Bennachie is white, not really any good at estimating snow line but mebbee 400m+?

so perhaps not too far away if you're also getting the sleetiness Howham.. GL everyone :)

- our Footie is in Aberdeen tomorrow so still might get it played before the fun starts

Posted

Morning all, cloudy and +4.1c here currently. The downgrade of the -10c 850s progged earlier in the week (to -7c/-8c) for today/tonight has effectively removed any chance of snow falling and accumulating here on the coast (as the forecasts reflect).

Good luck to all with snow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Having seen the latest NAE, clearly a risk of sleepiness tomorrow evening for central areas. Fortunately precipitation doesn't look too substantial and the 6Z GFS has moved things further west, which is a trend that, for now, would be helpful.

Today's showers should start to move inland south of Dundee in an hour or two I reckon.

Posted

Unless I'm mistaken - isn't tomorrow's setup, roughly the same as a couple of years ago, when the central belt ground to a halt ? Black Monday IIRC...

Posted

Having seen the latest NAE, clearly a risk of sleepiness tomorrow evening for central areas.

Due to too much late night lampost watching? ;-)

Edited by Hawesy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

I think that's more for the southwest of England, warm sector still looks to affect them but most of mainland Scotland should probably get away with it as currently modelled (latest UKMO update had no mention of anything other than snow for here from tomorrow onwards).

I wouldn't worry overly about dew points today, as long as the DP is below 1C you can often get away with a less than favourable dewpoint from an easterly provided the air mass and temperature are cold enough.

Thanks LS, temp has started to drop a bit & DP is now -0.3 so heading in the right direction :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Unless I'm mistaken - isn't tomorrow's setup, roughly the same as a couple of years ago, when the central belt ground to a halt ? Black Monday IIRC...

I could find this chart for Moday 6th December - was that the one?

Rrea00120101206.gif

Posted

OTR - that's the one...the one that Stewart Stevenson probably still has nightmares about.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

OTR - that's the one...the one that Stewart Stevenson probably still has nightmares about.

without doubt! Still a fab looking chart and brings back good memories (unless you were on the mate at the time!).

edit - why does it always do that lol M - 8

Edited by over_the_rainbow

Posted

I could find this chart for Moday 6th December - was that the one?

Rrea00120101206.gif

Oh yes, that classic, slightly different setup with less complication regarding multiple fronts and warm sectors but it wasn't all that emphatic uppers wise. The best snowfalls are usually quite marginal and I think if we get initial cover then anything with intensity should be snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

I remember that day for the sheer chaos! The snow accumulated very quickly (very exciting!) and by late morning Barrhead (where I was working that day) was in full evacuation mode. I tried several routes out of town but despite being able to whizz around in my new winter tyres, kept being stopped by the gridlocks of those who didn't have them. Eventually decided to give up, park the car and walk back to Clarkston. Every road was blocked with traffic jams. Gritters stuck with nowhere to go. Have never seen chaos like it. Although it took me a long time to get to my flat, I heard from colleagues who stayed with their cars that it took up to 11 hours to drive a few miles.

We did get an amazing amount of snow though...... *sighs in hope*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer

snow on the the high parts of aberdeen now still a rain/snow mix in the city itself

Posted

Having seen the latest NAE, clearly a risk of sleepiness tomorrow evening for central areas. Fortunately precipitation doesn't look too substantial and the 6Z GFS has moved things further west, which is a trend that, for now, would be helpful.

Today's showers should start to move inland south of Dundee in an hour or two I reckon.

So likely that the first belt may be sleet ??

Watching the bbc forecast just there, looks to a reasonable second band through the night Sunday that may still be around Monday? Prep type at this point unknown I guess