Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion - January 12th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

You can zoom to postcode on the NW radar too?

Hi Paul, any update on the radar image for the S/E section

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Snow & Snow.

I can't believe you are all missing the heavy snow that's started falling outside :)

Just kidding but wouldn't it be nice if it was..

Hopefully sometime in the next week we will see the white fluffy stuff start to fall. I keep peeping out the curtains to lamp post watch :)

Posted

Interesting

Last few years some of the Snow events from frontal snows we have had in the SE Has been all snow at -3 850hpa, Frontal snow afaik does not need as low uppers as Convective Snow Showers.

Must say I am surprised at the -5c being rain but you learn something new every day as they say!

It's was what I read a few years ago, it said of course there were other factors to consider. Just shows what you learn first tends to stick in your head wether it's complete balony or not ..... d'oh fool.gif

I repect your knowledge so will go with what you say. Damn misleading c88p you read online :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot summers

Hi all I have been reading the forums for a few months but really wanted to read regional so I signed up today I have always loved watching weather but tbh I am clueless on forecast, charts etc so will just read your posts with interest , thanks all

Posted

Well apparently you can have snow at 0 850s...

Snow is likely to occur where the 850 temps are below freezing (zero and below), while liquid precipitation is found at warmer temperatures.

This is possible yes, but with those uppers, the snow would most likely come from a convective showing due to evaporative cooling (the shower bring down the 0c uppers to the surface).

As for frontal snow from a front for example, -5c and below is easily achieved with wet bulb/dew point temps also being favourable along with the strength of the precipitation.

Has happened at -2/-3c uppers, January 2010 channel low was a good example of this... But that had a few hours of very heavy rain that slowly brought down the colder uppers (evaporative cooling) first, before the change over to snow.

SM

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

hi everyone new to the forums but been reading them for a while. how's Hertfordshire looking for snow Monday at the moment seems to be mixed reviews?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: love snow and frosty mornings

hi everyone new to the forums but been reading them for a while. how's Hertfordshire looking for snow Monday at the moment seems to be mixed reviews?

Hi welcome to the madhouse but not as mad as the mod thread rofl.gif

Still very dry here,not a sign of frost,rain,sleet and dare i say the s word

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers and cold snowy winters

I can't believe you are all missing the heavy snow that's started falling outside :)

You had me going there for a second... Yes, I'm on lamppost watch too, am up and down like a bride's nightie (to quote the great John Shuttleworth) - problem is I don't have a nearby lamppost so have to go right out into the garden where we have an outside light...Much to our neighbours' amusement, no doubt. It doesn' t feel cold enough here for snow yet though but I reckon we could see some tomorrow - we had a tiny bit this morning when it was supposed to be rain.

Just kidding but wouldn't it be nice if it was..

Hopefully sometime in the next week we will see the white fluffy stuff start to fall. I keep peeping out the curtains to lamp post watch :)

Posted

Okay so I've done some more digging. More confused now than ever about 850 temps and snowfall.

Though I did grab this off this very site.

questionmark.png Snow forecast information

You may not be familiar with a couple of the items within the snow forecast, the first one 850hpa temps is the temperature at approximately 1.5km above the ground. Generally this temperature needs to be at -5°c or below for snow to be likely. The other term is 500-1000hpa, this is a measure of the height or 'thickness' between these two points in the atmosphere (HPA is a measure of air pressure, so these points move up and down dependant on conditions). In general for snow to be likely, this value needs to be showing 528dam or less.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

Evening :-)

Awaiting the new NAE, doubt the situation will be any clearer for Monday morning/afternoon. Even this time tomorrow there will still be changes I feel. All part of the fun of model watching.

Temporary warm-up next weekend becoming evident on the global models and even the MOGREPS a tad higher on the 12Z. Beyond that a sharp track downwards again. Thankfully, all of us here in the SE retain the coldest air longest and also have a fair chance of snow in the form of showers mid and late week.

Interesting times!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: love snow and frosty mornings

Okay so I've done some more digging. More confused now than ever about 850 temps and snowfall.

Though I did grab this off this very site.

Eh what,didnt understand a word of that lol,its not you,its me wacko.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

Latest from London Heathrow!

The current plan is to continue as normal operations at the moment, the snow stuff is already and prepared this year. Monday is apparently supposed to be the big day of weather for them. This weekend they are taking everything into account for Monday. So no upgrades from Green (Normal Operations) to anything significant yet...

Some of the cargo tugs have been fitted with snow ploughs if needed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Snow & Snow.

Hi Kate1, up and down like a brides nightie , that made me chuckle. :)

I think it's now snowing in tunbridge wells, quick nip out in the garden again lol :)

Lets hope Monday we get lucky .

Posted

Latest from London Heathrow!

The current plan is to continue as normal operations at the moment, the snow stuff is already and prepared this year. Monday is apparently supposed to be the big day of weather for them. This weekend they are taking everything into account for Monday. So no upgrades from Green (Normal Operations) to anything significant yet...

Some of the cargo tugs have been fitted with snow ploughs if needed.

we all know what happened last year got closed for 2 days!!!

Posted

Essexweathercentre on twitter 2hrs ago for Monday:

"Somewhere in the region will be buried under a lot of snow"

I've followed these guys since last winter. Through out the year they have been pretty much sweet spot on with their forecasts.

Can't complain with that :-)

Edited by Dexter29

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Just quickly made this on my mac, very rough circle but perhaps within this zone for snow. Must stress very quickly wittled together smile.png and the zone to the north can certainly expect snow, just couldn't include it in a circle

post-9962-0-08139500-1358017706_thumb.jp

Would you mind extending that circle a few more wiles west!! Looks like my area could weel see the snow melt/ turn to sleet. But I would just like to say in advance, even if my area does get the warm sector playing up with my snow, that all other areas I hope get a dumping!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Eh what,didnt understand a word of that lol,its not you,its me wacko.png

I think it's basically saying you need -5 and above uppers and a maximum of 528dam line.

Edited by Alpine glow

Posted

I have to go on a journey from the road I live in to the road 20 metres away on Monday. I'm wondering if the extreme weather might hinder my journey. This will be from North Lowestoft, to another road in North Lowestoft. I will obviously pack the essentials for the trip: Ice pick, Shovel, Sleeping Bag, Scotch, Extra Cigarettes. Do any of the more knowledgeable weather enthusiasts think I should not attempt such a perilous undertaking?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers and cold snowy winters

I have to go on a journey from the road I live in to the road 20 metres away on Monday. I'm wondering if the extreme weather might hinder my journey. This will be from North Lowestoft, to another road in North Lowestoft. I will obviously pack the essentials for the trip: Ice pick, Shovel, Sleeping Bag, Scotch, Extra Cigarettes. Do any of the more knowledgeable weather enthusiasts think I should not attempt such a perilous undertaking?

I find the male interpretation of 'essentials' most amusing...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

hi yea that is a mad forum lol. where bouts are you? are we still looking good for snow Monday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

http://modeles.meteo...s-0-2-54.png?12

This is from GEFS for Monday. We have -4 uppers. Too warm for it to fall as snow.

I hope this changes!

* Edit : IMBY! Not the whole of the South East :D

Edited by Alpine glow