Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion - January 12th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

He should have been more careful!

Mrs Plum was stuck on top of Reigate hill just past lower kingswood for about 5 hours... I would have gone up there but I had a sleeping toddler. She had nearly ran out of petrol and had no food!

Actually it's a reminder that despite being very scenic, snow causes chaos and worry

Posted

GFS very disappointing with the latest run. A few days ago, today seemed hopeful for snow. Then it was Monday night, now thats getting away from us again. That is two runs where things have been downgraded. I don't want to sound downbeat, but i'm not particularly hopeful now.

There's still time for things to upgrade again, but this always seems to happen.

Hi, i am unable to access the charts at the moment.

In what way has the 18z downgraded?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: love snow and frosty mornings

Croydon Council will send out gritting teams in a few hours time, but it is difficult when raining due to grit being washed away. It's still game on for heavy snow from Monday biggrin.pngcold.gifclap.gif

Yay,thankyou,fingers,toes,everything crossed

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T/Storms, Snow, Extreme Rain, Anything out of the ordinary!

ok, there are lots of "will it snow here?" or "its showing rain" posts, regarding monday. as it stands now, we are looking at possibly 3 scenarios.

1) from about midnight sunday, it will snow pretty much everywhere in our region.

through the middle part of the day, it turns to rain or sleet as the "warm sector" moves through, then back to snow by late afternoon or evening.

2) as above but with sleet/ wet snow to the south west of the region for a time, the "warm sector" being mixed out and having less effect.

3) the "warm sector" takes a more southerly track as the front occludes more quickly, thereby missing us completely resulting in all snow

in conclusion, it will snow everywhere but how long for and exact amounts are yet to be decided. keep watching the forecasts, the radars and the lamp-posts. everyone will see some snow and with a bit of luck, scenario 3 will be the result.

20kd76h.jpg

Love the picture!!! rofl.gifrofl.gif

Posted

GFS very disappointing with the latest run. A few days ago, today seemed hopeful for snow. Then it was Monday night, now thats getting away from us again. That is two runs where things have been downgraded. I don't want to sound downbeat, but i'm not particularly hopeful now.

There's still time for things to upgrade again, but this always seems to happen.

I disagree Chris. GFS looks very snowy from midnight sunday through to the early hours of Tues morning smile.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Sorry, but what are you talking about ?

I must be looking at a different set of charts.

Posted

Don't be down beat, we are an island and as such our weather is so changeable like this, that is what the attraction and fun is. The reality is we are dealing in this case with so many factors including a warmer sea than normal which effects things too, so be patient, and things will happen. I do agree though it does always seem to happen a big build up then "puff!" but that is only if you follow tv forecasts etc... when they are too far out. The data tomorrow will give us much better idea.

sorry.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow or stormy...colder the better

GFS 18z has snow over the majority of Norfolk for most of Tuesday as well :)

Posted

Hi, i am unable to access the charts at the moment.

In what way has the 18z downgraded?

The low has moved further east, therefore the warm sector has shifted further east.

Plus the PPN passes through much quicker.

I've only looked at the latest GFS run. Fingers crossed it all changes again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow or stormy...colder the better

I disagree Chris. GFS looks very snowy from midnight sunday through to the early hours of Tues morning smile.png

with this forum section covering such a large area I think it depends where you live to how good / bad this run is :)

Posted

Well my area looking v, good for precip, in the form of snow,(12 miles north west of london)...happy days.

Hope so, want my son's school in Hillingdon closed and also the uni where I work. Nothing worse than snow down here in Kingston and trying to convince work and school in Uxbridge that really we can't get there!

Posted

Sorry, my post was a biased opinion for much of Kent! Fingers crossed for the rest of the South East though. good.gif

Posted

Hi folks, kilted visitor with a question if I may?

My good lady wife is due to fly to Gatwick then train to Polegate on Tuesday then return on Friday for her Grandad's funeral in Hailsham on Thursday. What are your thoughts on transport disruption for this period?

Flying to/from Edinburgh but can't see any major issues this end.

Cheers,

Andy.

Hi Andy, Tuesday could be tricky... Overnight we could be getting 10cm or so... Having said that, Gatwick is probably the best London airport to cope with snow... The railways will probably have delays though!

Posted

Latest GFS potential snowfall up to 54hrs

Kent will do well rolleyes.gif

I hope so, but the warm sector seems to have made a further movement to the East, so that isn't a good thing.

Edited by Chris_19

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

NAE for Monday midnight to 6am, PPN is now further south and west but is fading earlier for Yorkshire and the north.

13011406_1218.gif

EDIT: Comparing with the 12z it looks as though they are bringing in the next system much earlier, it's already hitting the Scottish westcoast and wasn't earlier.

Edited by ukpaul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Kent will do well rolleyes.gif

I wouldn't bet on it.

The 18z keeps the marginal conditions over us until the back end of the front now, the front moves through MUCH faster too. 1-5cm for lucky spots, massive downgrade, it seems the NMM might have actually been on the mark should these runs continue through into tomorrow..

Posted

Actually it's a reminder that despite being very scenic, snow causes chaos and worry

Yes, that's very true. I always try and minimise the chaos that it can cause us... Luckily, I work in Reigate, my wife's job is now in redhill and as luck would have it, I'm off Thursday for toboggan practice (oh, and to look after the kids as well!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep untouched powdery snow and red hot beaches sipping cocktails

Hee Hee I clicked on 3-7 day and chelle loves the way the orange swirls and stalls all over the top of us :)

Posted

I wouldn't bet on it.

The 18z keeps the marginal conditions over us until the back end of the front now, the front moves through MUCH faster too. 1-5cm for lucky spots, massive downgrade, it seems the NMM might have actually been on the mark should these runs continue through into tomorrow..

I agree.

Posted

GFS high res ppn charts are shocking. The mild sector has grown and puts most of us in a wintry mix category.

Posted

I wouldn't bet on it.

Thanks Dan, bloody typical. No stalling of that front then?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

GFS high res ppn charts are shocking. The mild sector has grown and puts most of us in a wintry mix category.

Would need to be over 250m for snow on this run. Time for change (I hope)!