Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional - Cold Spell Discussion 13/01/13--->

Isolated Frost

Posted

I think the band could hang on if see further PPN building on the backedge and we have seen that to some extent if albeit the intensity is mainly light.

Flakes are smaler than around 10-15mins ago but the intensity is decent enough and at least we got a light covering, so better than nothing, I think we may have to make the most of it though incase it does clear out into the North Sea.

I think the front will hang around for most of the day, projections by the GFS and UKMO send the front just off the coast before sending it back inland, before dissipating as the low to our south pulls away. Even at 9pm this eve we should still be seeing some snowfall, then its a case of sunshine and snow showers i feel tomorrow!

post-4252-0-62513100-1358162952_thumb.pn

I think we have to potential to atleast get 5cm out of this. Lets face it, some of us werent even convinced we'd even get snow to begin with, especially after the dissapointment of last nights weather front. So i for one am rather please to see moderate snow falling outside my window in jesmond right now.

:)

Posted

Going by Net weather radar it would appear to be clearing here very soon although I would think those nearer the coast will have to wait a while for a clearance.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

If I was told yesterday that there would be just shy of an inch on the grass with no slushiness I think I'd have said 'bank'!

Posted

I think once the onshore wind comes, any precipitation is going to intensify as it always does when we have moist winds of the North Sea. Whenever we get a front that pushes that starts to push the precipitation off the sea we always end up getting as much as the west normally gets off the Atlantic, its the same effect. But i am worried about the push of warmer surface temperatures off the sea. Could be a close one, right now its still snowing moderately, with smaller flakes.

Posted

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/observations/#?tab=map&map=Rainfall&fcTime=1358119923&zoom=9&lon=-1.66&lat=54.94

The metoffice new radar only has us just over half way through the highest intensity here in Newcastle. The projections to seem for the front to head out to sea, by maybe 1pm then head back in just after 3pm. Thats my take on things anyway.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

I keep looking at the radar and I still can't decide whether the PPN will hold on or not, I think Yorkshire/Teesside looks more favourable to hang onto the PPN before it heads back inland again. The only problem once it does head back inland again, wind strength will pick up and its coming from the North Sea and that is when I think things could become a little too marginal for some lower levels

Intensity has decreased a little here but its still not too bad though, just typical it took so long to actually get going though.

Not so sure about that GS, the 850hpa temps are progged to be lower than they are presently to be around -6 to -8 so any marginality will be most likely right on the coast but its all going to come down to nowcasting.

Posted

If the look north graphics are to be believed everywhere east of the a68 should keep this band of snow till late. West of a68 looked dry from around now.

Posted

Most of our region is now out of the amber zone... looks like we'll miss out on the stall . :( that's a bit of a kick in the nads.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe gales, heavy rain and alpine climates

Easing right off in Durham now.....will be interesting though, the band has certainly broadened and slowed as it has reached the coast....

Posted

I think the front will hang around for most of the day, projections by the GFS and UKMO send the front just off the coast before sending it back inland, before dissipating as the low to our south pulls away. Even at 9pm this eve we should still be seeing some snowfall, then its a case of sunshine and snow showers i feel tomorrow!

post-4252-0-62513100-1358162952_thumb.pn

I hope so SM06, the front is showing signs of stalling in the far NE of Scotland and one would imagine this should continue down the weather front once the low heads Southwards, it will be interesting looking at the radar this afternoon to see this process and then the process of it heading back westwards, whether it will keep the intensity or not is another matter though.

Still nicely snowing moderately, still the smaller flakes which may suggest we are quite comfortable in terms of being on the right side of marginal whilst the winds stay off shore and this should remain the case now as the mild sector dissapears.

Posted

Well it has virtually stopped snowing now,I would guesrr at maybe 5cm-better than nothing-it will be interesting to see how much thaw there is prior to it freezing later-as to the band of snow-will it return as far as my location? somehow I doubt it but I now firmly believe that this is but the horse'd'ouvres for what is to come during the rest of the winter.

Posted

Hey boys and girls, add this to your bookmarks to add to your enjoyment, it is excellent!

Snow on and off throughout the day, the front will grind to a halt and build back behind itself rather than curl round. This should give us a good few hours latre on, into dark, could be a fun rush hour lol.

Showers tomorrow off the sea, at any time we could get a developing trough to spice things up!

A bit quieter? on Weds, then anything could happen. I have a feeling in my bones that we could get somnething special over the weekend, and I don't mean a couple of beers and a kebeb on Friday night !!

Cheer,

Karl https://online.gateshead.gov.uk/RegionalTrafficCameras/Overview.aspx ENJOY!!

Posted

Just been down to timber merchants in prudhoe next to the river and no snow at all but on the drive uphill home the snow gets deeper quickly. Probs about 2 inches or so here but dry now. Hope that wasn't it for the day.

Posted

Still snowing albeit intensity showing signs of easing, can see the clouds bases a bit more now which suggests the front is nearing the end now unfortunately.

Not sure what will happen later although I do feel the convective shower window will be fairly short lived but I think by then, the air should be cold enough for snow, its just a question how far any showers head inland but the winds should be slack so sea moderation should not be much of a problem and any showeers coule be prolonged.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

A good covering in darlington right now look so pretty .a few have said it will turn to rain then thaw is this true.if not how long is it expected to keep snowing here.

I don't know who's told you it will melt but with maximum temperatures of 1c and further snow tomorrow its unlikely to melt for a while yet - http://www.metoffice...Time=1358208000

Edited by Gavin.

Posted

Snow seems to have stopped here.

There seems to be about a real 3cm down, which is the equivalent of 8 feet of snow according to your average forum poster.

Bummer.

Posted

With the snow now all but stopping around here, now we wait around 6-8 hours before we see the front trying to come back inland again, still think we got more risk of things being marginal but as NL says, colder air will try and dig in so it would try and counter act against any temp rises from the North Sea.

The only problem with set ups like this one, I think the front will be much weaker by the time it curls back inland, could be some heavier bursts but the models do seem to indicate it will be weaker. Then around 3AM onwards, I imagine we will see the convective showers coming into play and they should last until the end of daylight which by that time the showers will die back towards the coast as the easterly flow sadly gets cut off.

Those are my thoughts

Posted

What are the chances of it building back/curling round?

Are you talking about the weather or having a dump?