Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - January 14th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

Not so much for us Ally. It's showing a good hit all along the west coast of the UK and certainly effecting into the central belt but looking like very light showers for us at best. At the moment though - it could go more in our favour before then. good.gif

cray.gif awww hope it pushes a little further east

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Minimum Temp. last night -4.5C at 08.06. Cloud has rolled in from the NW. Temp. currently -3.4C (+0.7C/hour).

BBC Weather suggesting Scotland wide snowfall Friday into Saturday. Whoever is on the eastern side of that stalling front is in for a good one!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

BBC Weather suggesting Scotland wide snowfall Friday into Saturday. Whoever is on the eastern side of that stalling front is in for a good one!

Funnily enough, that is exactly what the NW precipitation charts are showing on the 06z. Just a pity that you can't trust them! If they were to verify, that is some serious amount of snow (24hrs ish) all the way across the country. (As you say tho' HC, poor for your neck of the woods so far.) Devon and Cornwall dip out at other end too. Fun reading, but that's all it is at this stage!smile.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Would not be shocked to see this go right down to nowcasting.

Uppers on the UKMO show a stealthy advance from the east hence the snow chances, regarding the front approaching have watched the cold block ebb west / east so as noted how extensive the impact is nigh on impossible to tell.

One certainty is that this won't be the only incursion, ECM mean is Baltic.

Fax charts , UKMO and any NAE modifications the way to go for now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

whistling.gif

Just 2-3 sleeps away...

13011806_1606.gif

Could we have a pic please - and mind and pick a colour that sets off yer complexion ss. One must be colour conscious.rofl.gif

Sorry, couldnae get any of Mrs SS's stuff tae fit. This is the best I could dae at short notice.

tumblr-lk-pt-rf-eo-791956099.jpg

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

Impressive temperatures this morning...the temperature dropped again as the cloud cleared between 7-10am. Aboyne was back down to -10C @ 9am!

Posted

whistling.gif

Just 2-3 sleeps away...

13011806_1606.gif

Sorry, couldnae get any of Mrs SS's stuff tae fit. This is the best I could dae at short notice.

tumblr-lk-pt-rf-eo-791956099.jpg

OOO err missus, am liking that, very tasty....

...and the weather chart's nae bad either

Funnily enough, that is exactly what the NW precipitation charts are showing on the 06z. Just a pity that you can't trust them! If they were to verify, that is some serious amount of snow (24hrs ish) all the way across the country. (As you say tho' HC, poor for your neck of the woods so far.) Devon and Cornwall dip out at other end too. Fun reading, but that's all it is at this stage!smile.png

The GFS precip charts are usually not bad with frontal precip, it's convective precip that they tend to handle less well.

Posted

The BBC forecast had snow right over into the North Sea, very surprised to see it so far east.

Yea me too and that NAE chart is it still being too progressive? - thought we didn't really want it that far East too early so it can undercut in the best place for future East prospects..

Edited by Snooz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

The GFS precip charts are usually not bad with frontal precip, it's convective precip that they tend to handle less well.

Trust you Catch! I will now slowly slide into a dithering idiot! (again)

Posted

I think we need LS's painted numbers map.

The Stirling Snowshield has 100% uptime so far, if I knew where the source was, I'd go stick a screwdriver in the plug socket...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Lorenzo you are right on the money.

Its not quite an unprecedented situation ... being a big weather fan with 50+ years on the clock I've seen most synoptics come and go in these parts...including the current scenario. And this one *could* well be one to remember in years to come.

Stress *could*.

We're a small place, with a real mixed terrain, coast, hill, mountain, valley, urban/rural. Trying to say what will happen in any single location over the coming days is way too hard to say with certainty from 72..48...even 24 hours.

Nowcasting is the name of the game for this one. And where this forum really shines is all the kilters feeding in local knowledge and reports.

Lets hope this really is something to remember for the majority of us and that any disappointment is small.

Now bring it on !

Would not be shocked to see this go right down to nowcasting.

Uppers on the UKMO show a stealthy advance from the east hence the snow chances, regarding the front approaching have watched the cold block ebb west / east so as noted how extensive the impact is nigh on impossible to tell.

One certainty is that this won't be the only incursion, ECM mean is Baltic.

Fax charts , UKMO and any NAE modifications the way to go for now.

Posted

IF the snow does come off on friday? Is that not bad in a way as it will progress the milder air quicker than expected?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

The BBC forecast had snow right over into the North Sea, very surprised to see it so far east.

It looked like the generic snow graphic they show when they are not sure sad.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Theres always an element of risk in any west-east battleground, undercut ... call it what we want.

I'm trying to avoid ramping (!) but IMO theres enough concensus agreement out there to indicate we're not going to transition from cold to mild any time soon.

I'm certainly convinced enough that a transition to mild is one of the less likely outcomes over the weekend...

IF the snow does come off on friday? Is that not bad in a way as it will progress the milder air quicker than expected?

Trust you Catch! I will now slowly slide into a dithering idiot! (again)

I could be wrong though...sorry Blitzen, but I do feel that the GFS gets an unfair kicking over precip at times. I was only trying to calm its feelings so it's nice to us (as if it sets the weather) :lol:

It looked like the generic snow graphic they show when they are not sure sad.png

I don't often watch the BBC forecasts, so that would make sense :good:

Posted

The Stirling Snowshield has 100% uptime so far, if I knew where the source was, I'd go stick a screwdriver in the plug socket...

Snawsheild intact!!! Mondy returns to the fold?????ph34r.pngbiggrin.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

I do feel that the GFS gets an unfair kicking over precip at times. I was only trying to calm its feelings so it's nice to us (as if it sets the weather) laugh.png

*puzzled* But it does set the weather, doesn't it? I'm sure over in the MT I read that...

Posted
  • Location: North Cumbria 160m asl overlooking the Solway coast.
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonally appropriate. Snow - not greedy - good above 1,500' fine

Fleetering of the snaw overnight. Taking the line of jinx suppression for Friday, for now... well maybe a little good.giffor now moving to tease.gifclapping.gif if it comes off. Too many years at the bottom of the Pennine chain in a land where it's always Christmas and never winter kind of sends you funny when proper snaw is suggested.

*puzzled* But it does set the weather, doesn't it? I'm sure over in the MT I read that...

Now you are being silly. It's the ECM which sets the weather and the GFS plays catch-up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonally appropriate. Snow - not greedy - good above 1,500' fine

Now you are being silly. It's the ECM which sets the weather and the GFS plays catch-up.

I thought that weather production had now been moved to the far East due to increasing costs and unreliability of supply in the west - hence the appearance of the Chinese model. In the 21st Century all weather will be controlled from there.

I thought that weather production had now been moved to the far East due to increasing costs and unreliability of supply in the west - hence the appearance of the Chinese model. In the 21st Century all weather will be controlled from there.

So the Chinese will make the weather AND all the toys which get thrown out of the prams because of the weather. Isn't that a bit of a monopoly?

Met-O have a warning out for snow on Friday covering all over southern and central Scotland; not for the north though.