Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - January 14th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Hi All

I am trying to work out if I should get IMBY excited or not, IYKFAM. Will east coast suffer too much mod from sea. That high res norwegian model e.g. has 4c here on Friday. Any ideas or stabs in the dark?! I know it is probabaly a difficult one to call.

Hard to say, unfortunately you're likely to on Friday at least, probably improving at times though as colder uppers move in but always a risk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

Your challenge for this weekend Edo is to build an igloo for the children.

That will have them in a frenzy and ensure they remain snow lovers all their lives unlike my brood!

We will require photos of completed challenge! good.gif

That's a good idea HS I might do that with my monkeys, that's if we get any Snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Typo of the week contender? biggrin.png

Sorry BleakMidwinter I was obviously still thinking of my earlier post to Snooz (Post #459 and #502)! wub.png

Posted

Seems to be more snow on the Loch Morlich beach than on the hills: smile.png

http://www.winterhig...ain/morlich.php

The Strathspey side of the Cairngorms seems to have notably less than the Braemar side at the moment, which seems to have 15-30cm cover on most aspects - see photo below from http://www.sais.gov.uk/page_southern%20cairngorms.asp

IMG-trail+breaking.jpg

This is a cracking photo too - hopefully scenes which will be replicated in Barrhead, Wishaw, Penicuik etc. in the near future!

IMG_0078.JPG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

That's a good idea HS I might do that with my monkeys, that's if we get any Snow.

My youngest brother back home in Northern Ireland built one for his four children in December 2010 - it was really incredible and I wouldn't have believed it if he hadn't sent the pictures..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Your challenge for this weekend Edo is to build an igloo for the children.

That will have them in a frenzy and ensure they remain snow lovers all their lives unlike my brood!

We will require photos of completed challenge! good.gif

Its funny you should say that as my friends built one in there garden at the very start of December 2010 and it lasted for ages....it was fantastic and u just reminded me so i will accept that challenge :) (assuming get enough raw materials)

Mayb u could build one and load it with alcohol thus impressing your older brood.... its never too late too catch the snow bug :)

Posted

My youngest brother back home in Northern Ireland built one for his four children in December 2010 - it was really incredible and I wouldn't have believed it if he hadn't sent the pictures..

Post a pic iif you still have them to whet the appetite and give us creative vision :)

Posted

Its funny you should say that as my friends built one in there garden at the very start of December 2010 and it lasted for ages....it was fantastic and u just reminded me so i will accept that challenge smile.png (assuming get enough raw materials)

Mayb u could build one and load it with alcohol thus impressing your older brood.... its never too late too catch the snow bug smile.png

Sadly Edo said igloo would require full central heating and a gaming PC with internet connection to shift my 16 and 18 year olds from their rooms! sad.png

Posted

Looking blobby over Dundee - anything good Dundonians?

The radar has been like that all day OTR even over Perth but there has been nothing falling from the sky here and nothing on the Traffic Cams re. Forfar and on up the A90 at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

The radar has been like that all day OTR even over Perth but there has been nothing falling from the sky here and nothing on the Traffic Cams re. Forfar and on up the A90 at the moment.

Oh! Has been a very grey day today - and also cold.gif

Posted

Yes OTR an Ice Day! Max. Temp -0.8C at 14.02. Yippee! cold.gif

Posted

incredibly cold for overcast....real nip in air reminded me of Decemder 2009 when was -8 and totally cloudy.... radar clearly giving false echoes so they best get that sorted for weekend or its lampies dependant :)

Posted

Post a pic iif you still have them to whet the appetite and give us creative vision smile.png

Photos have been re-requested from Bro. Will post when available. good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Latest Norwegian MO forecast is even better, brings frontal precipitation right across Scotland by afternoon/evening and ups the snow risk substantially for the east:

http://www.yr.no/kar...kyer&proj=3575

Edinburgh snow risk increases to around 5-7cm, Glasgow 12-15cm again, 5-7cm for the Borders, 4-6cm for Perth, and upwards of 15cm possible for East Ayrshire, all by Friday midnight.

Things particularly bad (good?) for the far west with over 2 inches falling over the course of Friday morning, coming in around rush hour and intensifying. M74 would likely be the worst affected road based on current projections.

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted

Actually LS- that is in co-operation with the ECM- I read it on their site, will try and find the link smile.png

Talking about the ECM...

ECM1-72.GIF?16-0

Wowza

Ah ok, I've seen an 'yrno' model on weatheronline before so is it basically the high resolution ECMWF then? That'd make a lot of sense.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Hi all, just been reading all the ramping in the secure ward lol. What do you think snow amounts will be this Friday and weekend beyond.in Fife (Lochgelly) That front seem to want to push a little further through!

Posted

Actually LS- that is in co-operation with the ECM- I read it on their site, will try and find the link smile.png

Talking about the ECM...

ECM1-72.GIF?16-0

Wowza

And amazing chart, interesting how the West Russian-Scandi PV segment seems to get that bit closer every run with the heights to the north strengthening. Something to watch for medium term developments.

Posted

Aside from the roads, which are clear but have large piles of snow ploughings at the verges, we still have 100% snow cover in Moffat and that's all frozen, crispy solid.

mb50de.jpg

A six inch top-up on Friday will make for a great skiing base in the hills. dirol.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Ah ok, I've seen an 'yrno' model on weatheronline before so is it basically the high resolution ECMWF then? That'd make a lot of sense.

Yep- the meteograms available on the 'hour by hour' option for each city include the hi-res ECM meteogram for each location-

EC 72 much better than yesterdays EC 96 with colder uppers and a more distinguished flow- more retrogression and accordingly, stronger heights between Greenland and Scandinavia.. and a stronger PV moving into Scandinavia.. a superb chart- wouldn't be surprised if tomorrow's yr.no updates (superb site btw, efficient Norwegians..) had some really heavy convective snow shrs over E Scotland

ECM1-96.GIF?16-0

There is a god...

Posted

Yep- the meteograms available on the 'hour by hour' option for each city include the hi-res ECM meteogram for each location-

EC 72 much better than yesterdays EC 96 with colder uppers and a more distinguished flow- more retrogression and accordingly, stronger heights between Greenland and Scandinavia.. and a stronger PV moving into Scandinavia.. a superb chart- wouldn't be surprised if tomorrow's yr.no updates (superb site btw, efficient Norwegians..) had some really heavy convective snow shrs over E Scotland

ECM1-96.GIF?16-0

There is a god...

Heck of a run this is, uppers great once again, another upgrade on the upper cold pool, and with reinforcements heading into Scandinavia too:

ECM0-96.GIF?16-0

ECM1-120.GIF?16-0

Uppers around -7C, probably just about getting away with it at that but every run it seems to be filling in with colder air:

ECM0-120.GIF?16-0

Incredible snowfall with that chart I'd imagine.

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted

Latest Norwegian MO forecast is even better, brings frontal precipitation right across Scotland by afternoon/evening and ups the snow risk substantially for the east:

http://www.yr.no/kar....kyer&proj=3575

Edinburgh snow risk increases to around 5-7cm, Glasgow 12-15cm again, 5-7cm for the Borders, 4-6cm for Perth, and upwards of 15cm possible for East Ayrshire, all by Friday midnight.

Things particularly bad (good?) for the far west with over 2 inches falling over the course of Friday morning, coming in around rush hour and intensifying. M74 would likely be the worst affected road based on current projections.

Typical that I move east for more snow (and work too...) and East Ayrshire (Aka where I lived for most of my life) is to be hardest hit under current projections!!! :lol: I would say the M77 will be just as badly affected as well.