Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - January 14th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

Why are they moaning in the MT about mild and rain this weekend? Did we not just had some amazing charts from the ECM, I'm I missing something :(

Edited by Allyw12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

To answer that one, it's because milder uppers (only just) exist in the south and west- with a strong E'ly- a lot of angriness at the fact everything doesn't last forever, and that the BBC forecasts suggest some SLEET and RAIN (oh no ahhhhh).

Short answer- don't look at the MT to gauge your opinion on Scottish weather- look on this thread, all the insight you need from LS, Lorenzo and others :)

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level

Why are they moaning in the MT about mild and rain this weekend? Did we not just had some amazing charts from the ECM, I'm I missing something sad.png

thats becaue mostly in there they only talk about the south of england theres no chance of rain up here it will be snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

It will get east of Glasgow, probably, how far is really hard to say, from the front at least, afterwards the convection risk increases considerably, provided the uppers hold up ok.

Don't like that provided LS lol although sure we be ok 30 miles inland

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

The weather channel are predicting temp not to rise above -1c in Glasgow next wed to fri. To say I'm excited is an understatement.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Behold, the Sacred Ramp o' the Clouds (where only giants live):

(complete with bonus tractor+snowclearing attachment)

post-6412-0-96105100-1358366731_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Snecky

Oh how I miss the highlands (Carrbridge). Been living in the south since I was 9 (thanks originally to that f'in woman with the handbag). Once a teuchter, always a teuchter though.

Nothing better than driving up the A9 with Frankie Miller Caledonia playing while you pass the highland line (cheesy, I know).

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

What's the story for Ayr anyone with better knowledge then myself

If read back up the thread you will find it....potentially loadsa snow from early Friday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)

Blizzards still on the cards at low level or just for the mountains/hills?

Posted

What are the prospects for Aberdeenshire Friday into the weekend? Some forecasts seem to suggest temps 2-3C and sleetiness (sorry, I'm hoping that if that is the case, it's restricted to Aberdeen itself and not too much further inland).

Anyway, ice day today (maxed out at -0.3C) so the first since 22 December 2010.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

First, thank you by-tor. Hopefully it all works out well for everyone and we are not left with a marginal damp squib or mixed out 950hpa uppers that kill the snow.

Think I may need to join in with that cause, all this frontal activity reminds me that a favourite from yesteryear is on Twitter..completely related as dressed in Tartan smile.png

post-7292-0-30253400-1358338586_thumb.jp

Mair eye candy for the boys. Ear candy too (raise the hairs on the back o yer neck).

wub.png

Chart:

PPVI89.png

Posted

It will get east of Glasgow, probably, how far is really hard to say, from the front at least, afterwards the convection risk increases considerably, provided the uppers hold up ok.

I'd be quite annoyed if it doesn't get east of Glasgow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

What's the story for Ayr anyone with better knowledge then myself

Very snowy on Friday probably, very cold and mostly dry after I'd imagine given the wind direction.

Posted

What are the prospects for Aberdeenshire Friday into the weekend? Some forecasts seem to suggest temps 2-3C and sleetiness (sorry, I'm hoping that if that is the case, it's restricted to Aberdeen itself and not too much further inland).

Anyway, ice day today (maxed out at -0.3C) so the first since 22 December 2010.

I'm noticing that re. most of the forecasts now too. It would be somewhat depressing to see rain here washing away out snow as the rest of the country gets pumelled!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

LS / IF - great find, was mucking about with the GFS Meteorograms on here http://ready.arl.noa...v/READYcmet.php

If this carries ECMWF data then all the better.

Link below shows south easterly gales developing as Friday progresses, surely that would pep up the North Sea?

http://www.yr.no/pla...r_detailed.html

528dam air with colder behind it.

post-7292-0-11947600-1358368764_thumb.gipost-7292-0-13939100-1358368768_thumb.gipost-7292-0-22487400-1358368793_thumb.gi

When you view that line you get an idea of the small margins involved everywhere in terms of progression of the front.

If you miss out on this one then there is always ECM144 to look forward to, never mind THAT ECM, it sure is THE ECM.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

I'm noticing that re. most of the forecasts now too. It would be somewhat depressing to see rain here washing away out snow as the rest of the country gets pumelled!

Looking on that fancy Norwegian site LS and IF are using Aberdeen may miss on Friday but will more than make up for it Sun, Mon and Tue!

http://www.yr.no/sted/Storbritannia/Skottland/Aberdeen/langtidsvarsel.html

Posted

Correct 101 that site is

post-15765-0-29334500-1358370603_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Didn't think you'd all remember the yr.no site! I remember adding their meteo grams in early Dec and forgetting them until the cold came back!

Here's hoping the Scots do a deal with EC when you (hopefully) get independence, meteograms and hi res data from Glasgow ;p

What I like about it is how it actually counts the North Sea convection, unlike the GFS.

Posted

Just looking at the 12z NAE as the margin issue is ongoing for us east coasters. So for Friday the dew points and the 950's both look sub zero as required for any snow.. The 850' s look to be around -8 or possibly -9 so it's possible the coast MAY be ok if the showers move in through Friday night and into Saturday. But it will be close. Also positive that the north sea is full of -9 and -10 uppers which should travel east as the flow backs more to the ESE with time.

I seem to have a memory from 2010 that -8 / -9 did the trick. Perhaps LS or By Tor may remember as it was the subject of moocho conversation.

Also to add the 12z ECM is something quite incredible. Don't think I've ever seen a run like it.