Snowangel-MK

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted

It is quite amazing Ben, Best thing is that (if i have this right) is the unpredictability that comes with any winter set up. You can get the let downs but also the complete unexpected. Snow is the best,Because it really is down to the last hours as we really don't know whats happening,Having said that i would really like this week-end to verify in FOR ALL.

Yes I hope it can deliver for all in the region (and everywhere infact!). From what I've been reading today on the MOD, this weekend is a very complex set up in regards to the low, with the advection of cold air from the east to contend with, aswell as the continental airflow. A big headache for the Met forecasters down in Exeter for sure!

Posted

Would not like to forecast that at all!! 528 line everywhere, very surprised GFS has gone for the cold air to much favour for Atlantic normally will there be any backtrack??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Anybody watch the weather on look east????

Alex saying ''showers in Norfolk and Suffolk'', whilst pointing at Northamptonshirerofl.gifdoh.gif

She does try LOL!rofl.gif

Posted

Anybody watch the weather on look east????

Alex saying ''showers in Norfolk and Suffolk'', whilst pointing at Northamptonshirerofl.gifdoh.gif

Ohhh I can do you one better than that

I remember her talking a couple of years ago about how there was a keen westerly wind across the region as she showed the pressure chart.....then I glanced up at the pressure chart, which depicted a low pressure system to the south of us.....

COME ON!!

Weather school 101 - Low pressure, ANTI clockwise circulation.

She actually frustrates me, would be interesting to know what sort of meteorological training she has had. Much better when one of the WeatherQuest lot is on - both Chris Bell and Jim Bacon are top top guys, both in terms of presentation and meteorological knowledge

SK

P.S. - Perhaps she had just come back from holiday in Australia?

Edited by snowking

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow or stormy...colder the better

Hmmmm Ulrika Johnson used to do the weather...wonder what sort of meteorological training she had lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Gawd bless us and save us!!! Just stepped out for a ciggie and saw a brass monkey crying its eyes out. :D It's blooming FREEZING. Supposed to be around -8 tonight here. :o

Do take care if you're driving, folks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Post from Mr S Murr.

Posted 34 minutes ago

heres an EASY one for everyone at the end of the week-

when the front comes through use the 850s' at -2c to guide where the snow to rain line is...

just an aside the reason the UKMO are going snow to rain sunday is the UKMO was agressive in bringing it t hrough day 6, however the Updated ECM is very slow like the GFS & more particular the GEm that is ALL snow..

expect there to be some SHOCKING forecasts on TV in the next 72 hours-

stay here where we have dynamic up to date models... ( of the weather kind )

S

Posted

Gawd bless us and save us!!! Just stepped out for a ciggie and saw a brass monkey crying its eyes out. biggrin.png It's blooming FREEZING. Supposed to be around -8 tonight here. ohmy.png

Do take care if you're driving, folks.

watched about Anglia wonder if the people of Norwich have got home yet!!!

Posted
  • Location: Bishop's Stortford in England and Klingenmünster in Germany
  • Location: Bishop's Stortford in England and Klingenmünster in Germany

There is (I think now possibly was) one presenter on the TV in Germany who is quite famous for not having any formal meteorological training called Claudia Kleinert. Type into youtube. She was one of the team at meteomedia.de which is an independent firm founded and run by a guy called Jorg Kachelmann. This firm has over 1200 of their own weatherstations throughout Germany and also does the national and regional forecasts and moderation for TV (equivalent of the BBC called ARD). The German met-office doesn't do these at all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Ohhh I can do you one better than that

I remember her talking a couple of years ago about how there was a keen westerly wind across the region as she showed the pressure chart.....then I glanced up at the pressure chart, which depicted a low pressure system to the south of us.....

COME ON!!

Weather school 101 - Low pressure, ANTI clockwise circulation.

She actually frustrates me, would be interesting to know what sort of meteorological training she has had. Much better when one of the WeatherQuest lot is on - both Chris Bell and Jim Bacon are top top guys, both in terms of presentation and meteorological knowledge

She hasn't....... quoted for the Look East Website...

"Alex Dolan grew up in Cambridge and then completed a degree in marine biology at Newcastle University. She started her career as a science teacher before making the switch to television in 2001.

Alex has devoted much of her TV career to science and current affairs programmes. She has worked undercover for Channel 4 Dispatches and filmed extensively in California for the BBC, covering stories from green energy to great white sharks. Whilst there, Alex interviewed Governor Schwarzenegger about his green energy policies.

Prior to Look East, Alex was part of a Channel 4 documentary team attempting to crash a Boeing 727 to explore the science behind air crashes"

All useful stuff for weather forecasting ey? doh.gif

Temp is -4.6C here now, snow is lovely and crisp. Bit of cloud has come over in the past 20 mins, so temp has hovered.....hoping for minus double figures as we have good snow cover and I live in a valley with next to no housing. Had a recording of -11C in February 2012

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

This met office you speak forecast me rain for Saturday

I need to erect a hill on my location I think 100m is high enough!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow, Thunderstorms & Summer Plumes

watched about Anglia wonder if the people of Norwich have got home yet!!!

Honestly absolute chaos in Norwich today. Traffic even on main roads at a crawl. Very heavy snow shower has caused this just after midday! Bit of a nightmare travel wise to say the least. A friend who went to town in the car said it took 4 hours to get home from the city, a journey which should take 20mins. shok.gif

Edited by Chris D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers, Cold Winters.

Look East - Alex Dolan

South West - Ian Ferguson

Fair? I don't think so!

She seems to be lovely but useless!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

This met office you speak forecast me rain for Saturday

I need to erect a hill on my location I think 100m is high enough!

I always go by the text forecast as they have been written by a forecaster. The other forecasts are automatic taking raw model output (I presume from the UKMO?). Sites like Metcheck just use raw GFS data....it's never going to be anywhere near accurate with no forecaster input!

Posted

Look East - Alex Dolan

South West - Ian Ferguson

Fair? I don't think so!

She seems to be lovely but useless!!

bring back Julie at lest she had bit more idea what was going on!!

Posted

I always go by the text forecast as they have been written by a forecaster. The other forecasts are automatic taking raw model output (I presume from the UKMO?). Sites like Metcheck just use raw GFS data....it's never going to be anywhere near accurate with no forecaster input!

Yes, but if it is rain...

You going to find a real angry snowman here in Essex.

Also found this.

UK Outlook for Wednesday 30 Jan 2013 to Wednesday 13 Feb 2013:

Colder than average conditions are favoured across many parts of the UK, especially in the north and east. Whilst there is no strong signal for rainfall patterns through this period, drier than average conditions are more likely in the north, whereas the south may have near or even slightly above average rainfall. The frequency of snow events through this period may be more than experienced so far this winter.

Posted

Yes, but if it is rain...

You going to find a real angry snowman here in Essex.

Also found this.

UK Outlook for Wednesday 30 Jan 2013 to Wednesday 13 Feb 2013:

Colder than average conditions are favoured across many parts of the UK, especially in the north and east. Whilst there is no strong signal for rainfall patterns through this period, drier than average conditions are more likely in the north, whereas the south may have near or even slightly above average rainfall. The frequency of snow events through this period may be more than experienced so far this winter.

Don't often see that in a Met Office outlook!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Looks like fog or suthin coming down now. It's certainly swirling around the flood lights. Thought it was sleet at first.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow or Sun

After what turned out to be a fairly lame attempt at a decent snow day, can we in Herts expect anything better for Friday onwards?

If the model thread is correct then even some of the notorious non-rampers are ramping up the potential on the horizon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

Yes and it use to be the case that they would only put a snowflake on me ,just as it fell.They have me as snow from thurs late, till sunday!

Although subject to change of course.

They just dont normally do that this far out?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Looks like fog or suthin coming down now. It's certainly swirling around the flood lights. Thought it was sleet at first.

Freezing fog. It's been here since 5pm...

Posted

Freezing fog. It's been here since 5pm...

Aye its just turned foggy here too.

Norwich airport reporting -6 already!!!

http://www.checkwx.com/wxmain/code/EGSH

Posted

After what turned out to be a fairly lame attempt at a decent snow day, can we in Herts expect anything better for Friday onwards?

If the model thread is correct then even some of the notorious non-rampers are ramping up the potential on the horizon.

Well, if some of the models are right this could be a historic event.