Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

London & South East Regional Discussion - January 15th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

It may just by pass Rochester....

Upper winds have a slightly easterly vector, Robin, hence the shower trough has maintained some vigour due to slight westerly convergence.

Yep. I would estimate that it will miss me by about 5 to 10 miles. They always do unless we get a straight easterly. East Anglia shades this part of Kent from any showers.

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted

Hi, a question for the experts on here. I've checked the snow risk for my area for this weekend and would like to understand if the 850 temp or the hpa measure is more important? I've a good chance of snow on Friday and Saturday but either the temp or pressure isn't below what is deemed generally needed so I was wondering if one is needed more than the other?

Posted

BBC weather just showed that some of those showers could bump into some areas on the south coast as they will travel along the channel? What do you think guys?

When for Marie?

Posted

Temperature here in Medway falling steadily. From 2C earlier to 0.8C now and dropping still. Interesting. Going to be very icy soon I fear.

Been looking at the Norfolk Blob. I'm convinced it will miss almost the entire region, perhaps skimming the extreme eastern tip of Kent at best by around 5pm.

To head any more westward. It needs a significant shove from the east, or for the blob to increase in size considerably. Both, as far as my limited understanding of weather goes, seem very unlikely. Another promising chance missed.

Posted
  • Location: near Charing ( Mid Kent between Ashford & Maidstone )

Cloud increasing and temp dropping. Currently + 0.9c

Interesting that clump that has been working its way down from Norfolk has maintained energy over land and kept on a pretty direct N to S route even with winds ( on xc weather ) showing as NW currently.

Presume upper winds must have an E vector at present ? perhaps if anyone more knowledgable on here can help understand....

Posted

Afternoon!

I've been asleep so what did I miss?! We had a nice 2hour walk out this morning and it doesnt seem that cold ya know! dare i say it...even warm in the sunshine. hopefully it will get a lot lot colder soon then at least even with no snow it might seem like we are in a Cold Spell!

Really dumb question coming up... Is Faversham East or West Kent or is it slap bang in the middle and neither?!

Hi Tilly well if I was in Sittingbourne you would be East if I was in Whitstable you would be Westacute.gif lol only joking I don't have a clue except Swale Council starts from Faversham so I think you may be West Kent. Edited by blackprince

Posted

Really looking forward to the snow on Friday Saturday and Sunday

Woooah Steady! rofl.gifrofl.gif Was that a Raaaaaaamp!

Posted

Can't see it with the wind direction and NAE or NMM aren't picking up anything well they are but it's the "r" word if anything! Met Office has me down for light snow shower for 3 am through to 6 am so guess it could doesn't look hopeful though

Edited by Jules71

Posted

Cloud increasing and temp dropping. Currently + 0.9c

Interesting that clump that has been working its way down from Norfolk has maintained energy over land and kept on a pretty direct N to S route even with winds ( on xc weather ) showing as NW currently.

Presume upper winds must have an E vector at present ? perhaps if anyone more knowledgable on here can help understand....

Go to the top of the forum and find Charts and Data

Click on GFS On the right hand side Menu

Then click on UK Streamlines Winds, run it forward about to T9 And then you will see there is an easterly vector over the coast but heads straight North to South about 20 miles inland in Suffolk!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

i wouldn't get to excited mate

Not saying it won't happen

But there are so many model runs to get through till fri

First one in about 40 mins

It can and will change

Maybe for the better maybe not

But it is great to watch this unfold

Much better than weeks of Atlantic onslaughts

Posted

Its to far out to say for sure.

Although listening to others thoughts is it fair to say that sat & sun things would become marginal?

Posted

Then click on UK Streamlines Winds, run it forward about to T9 And then you will see there is an easterly vector over the coast but heads straight North to South about 20 miles inland in Suffolk!

Many Thanks

Posted

Afternoon!

I've been asleep so what did I miss?! We had a nice 2hour walk out this morning and it doesnt seem that cold ya know! dare i say it...even warm in the sunshine. hopefully it will get a lot lot colder soon then at least even with no snow it might seem like we are in a Cold Spell!

Really dumb question coming up... Is Faversham East or West Kent or is it slap bang in the middle and neither?!

I would say we are Central North Kent!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow and Hot Sun

Hi Tilly well if I was in Sittingbourne you would be East if I was in Whitstable you would be Westacute.gif lol only joking I don't have a clue except Swale Council starts from Faversham so I think you may be West Kent.

Thanks :) I googled and have found conflicting things. Some say East, some West and some Mid Kent. Bizarre. I think I'll go for Mid Kent although that never helps with the weather. You never hear anyone say "Heavy Snow for Mid Kent" do you. I think I'll have to move lol.

Posted

Looks like its gonna pass to our East...just. Be interesting to see if it picks up some energy from the mouth of the Thames as it passes. Places directly SE of us on the N.Kent coast could benefit.

Fancy hiring a boat from the end of the pier?

Edited by Shrimper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

There's some very dark clouds to the North of me, nothing on the radar though