Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Regional Discussion - January 15th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

And the daddy of em all 1987 saw parts of SE essex with 76cm of level snow and 20ft drifts in parts of Kent and Essex!

Oh how I would love to be 15 again! Happy days!

You never know Paul, MAYBE just MAYBE. Not being 15 years old again though lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

87, 09, 10 were all exceptional events though. Hopefully we'll get something here this winter! Even a few cms would be fine, most we've had so far this week was a dusting on the cars the night before last. Friday looks good, but it seems these always downgraded the closer we get

Let's put it this way, the last 4 winters have brought some significant snow to London - probably more than the previous 10 years combined.

For my area of London:

Feb 2009 Thames Streamer: approx. 6 inches (south London saw more than north London during this event)

December 2009: Saw 3 inches approx.

Jan 2010: 4-5 inches (NW/W/SW London saw even more)

end November/early December 2010: Thames streamer gave my area approx. 4 inches (SE London/S Essex/NW Kent had more than a foot!)

18th December 2010: The whole of London had an intense snowfall, giving me about 6 inches of snow.

Feb 2012: London, much of SE England & EA saw significant snow as a front pushed in from the NW bumping against freezing continental air. It stayed all snow here, whereas it turned to rain sleet further west. I saw about 5 inches approx. Saw a couple of cm's top up a few days later. There were slight thaws thereafter, but some snow lay on the ground for about 10 days to 2 weeks.

Posted

Does anyone have any data for expected wind direction & speed for this afternoon / eve? I wonder if its due to gain an easterly element to push some showers inland a bit?

Posted

Saw this too... Not sure why it's spinning :/

Residual energy left over from last night's system, currently moving East through belgium.

It is dragging NNE winds down the N.Sea sparking off shower activity.

This chart shows it well -

9-102.GIF?15-6

Note the increase in PPn come later this afternoon. Especially in the Southern N.Sea. Unfortunately as the low moves further off East into Belgium, it will drag this PPn away from us. So Eastern parts may get clipped a bit later. But unlikely to make much inroads past there really.

Does anyone have any data for expected wind direction & speed for this afternoon / eve? I wonder if its due to gain an easterly element to push some showers inland a bit?

nope im afraid :/ not going by XCweather

Residual energy left over from last night's system, currently moving East through belgium.

It is dragging NNE winds down the N.Sea sparking off shower activity.

This chart shows it well -

9-102.GIF?15-6

Note the increase in PPn come later this afternoon. Especially in the Southern N.Sea. Unfortunately as the low moves further off East into Belgium, it will drag this PPn away from us. So Eastern parts may get clipped a bit later. But unlikely to make much inroads past there really.

cheers pal

Posted

BBC news 24 forcast just now going for 10cms tomorrow for east kent, looked like a constant stream of showers. No use for me here in Essex but he suprised me with 10cms for kent!

M

Posted

Saw this too... Not sure why it's spinning :/

i think its a 'kink' in the airflow which seems to have created a kind of 'eddy current'. maybe the winds are moving a little faster than forecast

you can see it on the wind charts-

ukwind.png

Posted

BBC news 24 forcast just now going for 10cms tomorrow for east kent, looked like a constant stream of showers. No use for me here in Essex but he suprised me with 10cms for kent!

'Is the UK braced for another snow at the end of the week as temperatures plunge? Alex Deakin takes a look at the weather for the days ahead:'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/feeds/21027548

Posted

nope im afraid :/ not going by XCweather

cheers pal

Are'nt XC Weather wind directions taken at 10 mtrs? If so, how representative are they when trying to match up to the radar?

And if XC is correct, it looks like after 6PM for any easterly element.

Edited by Stuart638

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS

87, 09, 10 were all exceptional events though. Hopefully we'll get something here this winter! Even a few cms would be fine, most we've had so far this week was a dusting on the cars the night before last. Friday looks good, but it seems these always downgraded the closer we get

you forgot 91, still remember canterbury wth 9 inches of snow ,which hung around for nearly 10 days..

Posted

Its been mentioned before, but I do not think there is any better satellite imagery than this link http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html

I use it in the current sort of set up to get an idea of where cloud bands / overall pattern is headed - I would say clipper chances later

Posted

M

Yes. Again all to do with the system that moved through last night and tracking through Belgium now. As it does so it will bring a stronger flow down from the NE in relation to High pressure extension. Eastern districts in particular may catch a shower train.

It is much the same as today really, with the exception that tomorrow see's a more Easterly element to the flow, bringing us more into the game. Pressure is rising though, so not sure where they are getting 10cm from to be honest. I would of thought a couple of cm's at best. But the wind speed picking up could help with that.

They are the pro's, so who am I to argue!

Edited by Shrimper

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Met released a warning for me in east Kent for tomorrow. 10cm it says. West Kent won't see any. Met offoce has snow all day for canterbury tomorrow!

How can they just say on the day before " Wintry flurries in the east " to " 10cm+ " this is what **** me off about the met office, if you can't forecast correctly then DON'T!

I'd rather them say there "might" be a chance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Yellow Alert of Snow for London & South East England :

Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Oxfordshire, Portsmouth, Southampton & West Berkshire

Valid from: 0900 on Fri 18 Jan 2013

Valid to: 2355 on Fri 18 Jan 2013

As the weather breaks down, there is the potential for a spell of snow to spread from the southwest. As winds strengthen, blizzard conditions are a possibility, especially over high ground. Accumulations of 2-5 cm are possible quite widely and in some locations, especially higher ground, 15 cm are possible.

Issued at: 1233 on Tue 15 Jan 2013

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?regionName=se&from=rss&sn=E0CA7FAE-F986-851C-17A7-3DC5AA173D94_1_SE&tab=map&map=Warnings&zoom=7&lon=-0.50&lat=51.35&fcTime=1358164860

Posted

First alert for Friday's poss snow has been released for Western areas of the UK....They are either covering themselves or are quite confident (concerned)...

Issued at - 15 Jan 2013, 12:33

Valid from - 18 Jan 2013, 09:00

Valid to - 18 Jan 2013, 23:55

As the weather breaks down, there is the potential for a spell of snow to spread from the southwest. As winds strengthen, blizzard conditions are a possibility, especially over high ground. Accumulations of 2-5 cm are possible quite widely and in some locations, especially higher ground, 15 cm are possible.

The public should be aware of the possibility of travel disruption. This warning is likely to be updated over the next few days

Edited by Shrimper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Batch of heavy showers moving towards the north Norfolk coast and some lighter showers currently over northern England moving south. Hopefully these could affect our region later this afternoon? Just have to hope they don't fizzle out before they get here. Currently any light showers moving through East Anglia are dying out inland, but if those showers stay potent enough we could see something from it.

The ones in north england heading south are embeded in a trouth that is moving down the east side of the country and should be over essex then kent later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS

How can they just say on the day before " Wintry flurries in the east " to " 10cm+ " this is what **** me off about the met office, if you can't forecast correctly then DON'T!

I'd rather them say there "might" be a chance

so we will all get excited tonight here on the east coast and expect 10 cm in the morning , wont tell my kids as they are already giving me a hard time after i told them a few days back were gonna get it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Yellow Warning of Snow for London & South East England :

Kent

Valid from: 0005 on Wed 16 Jan 2013

Valid to: 2355 on Wed 16 Jan 2013

Snow showers running across Kent have the potential to give accumulation of 10 cm in places through the day. However, these will be quite localised, with many parts, especially in the west of the county, not seeing any showers.

Issued at: 1222 on Tue 15 Jan 2013

http://www.metoffice...Time=1358164860

Edited by MKsnowangel