Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Regional Discussion - January 15th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Cloudy here, don't know what forum to be in, go for the home counties weather is Norfolk,Beds,Suffolk, here it is Kent and London. like yesterdays we had everything snow sleet rain, mixture of everybody s county

Posted

Cloudy here, don't know what forum to be in, go for the home counties weather is Norfolk,Beds,Suffolk, here it is Kent and London. like yesterdays we had everything snow sleet rain, mixture of everybody s county

Stick in here. Plenty of South, East and West Essex folk around.

Edited by Shrimper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

LOL Blunt. Essex comes under South/East. However your more than welcome in EA/Three C Thread.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

So far 2013 is turning into a lot of hope turned dashed !

Damn you mild sectors and high Dp's :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!!

Thank you Shrimper, fantastic post that even I understood. I really appreciate it, from a very novice pov,that makes lots of sense :-)

Posted

I think geographically you're safe here with us! wink.png

Edited by Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Is London usually this marginal for snow? I'm from Ireland and haven't been here long. Seems that no matter what direction ppn is coming from it fizzles out before reaching here

Can be,However Thames Streamer can bring the goods and for a long period of time. Im pretty sure This thread will do very well shortly.

Posted

Can be,However Thames Streamer can bring the goods and for a long period of time. Im pretty sure This thread will do very well shortly.

Interesting. Does it take much for such a setup to occur? Is it a rare occurrance?

Posted

Feb 2009 = Thames Snow Streamer saw Surrey get 52cm of level snow

Dec 2010 = Thames Snow Streamer saw my location get 37cm of level snow!

Pretty good!

Posted

And the daddy of em all 1987 saw parts of SE essex with 76cm of level snow and 20ft drifts in parts of Kent and Essex!

Oh how I would love to be 15 again! Happy days!

Posted

One thing that has struck me this morning is how quickly the surfaces are drying up. Thats the big benefit of the continental flow, dry air and lower dew points.

Bodes well for the rest of the week in terms of marginality. Not so great when it comes to precipitation off the N.Sea however.

But all it takes is a tightening of the isobars, giving a stronger wind and bam, trough development and shower activity cropping up unexpectedly.

The radar is showing signs of life now. Watch for increased activity over Norfolk and off the coast in the Southern N.Sea as we go through the afternoon. We could get the odd surprise...

Posted

87, 09, 10 were all exceptional events though. Hopefully we'll get something here this winter! Even a few cms would be fine, most we've had so far this week was a dusting on the cars the night before last. Friday looks good, but it seems these always downgraded the closer we get

Edited by CrimsonSunset

Posted

Good luck

Look more like a Kent Clipper kind of day to me (Eastern 3rd of Kent)

Remember my rough workings out from the other day

NNE Or N = Kent Clipper (Eastern 3rd of Kent)

NE = Kent Slapper (Medway Towns and East)

ENE = Thames Streamer

ESE = ?? Still up for debate although I like Thames Tickler!

ESE = Thames Trickler (had to add the r as its also the most dodgy type)

Posted

Yh the thing that is in our favour is "if" a line can form like it is trying to do at the moment, the clump in the North Sea that was on the Dutch Radar now seems to be joining forces with the line coming into places like Cromer etc, this line stretches up towards the humber. If this can keep it together it has more chance of sustaining on it's southwards move!

Posted

One thing that has struck me this morning is how quickly the surfaces are drying up. Thats the big benefit of the continental flow, dry air and lower dew points.

DP's and RH right down today, didn't even see a frost on the car at just over freezing this morning.

Posted

87, 09, 10 were all exceptional events though. Hopefully we'll get something here this winter! Even a few cms would be fine, most we've had so far this week was a dusting on the cars the night before last. Friday looks good, but it seems these always downgrade the closer we get

I can quote numerous others if you like, it does not have to be just a Thames Snow Streamer event for London to get pasted. Lots of snow to be had last February 2012, and in the years just before 2010 frontal snow and snowfall coming up from France hit the Capital some winters.

But if you are looking for anything more than a 1cm and gone by lunch time jobbie they have been numerous as well in the winters 1992, 1993,1994,1996,1997,1998,1999,2000,2001,2002,2006

So a bleak run from the above!

Also seem to remember 1988 and 1989 with no snow at all over the winter if memory serves me right!

Edited by Paul Sherman

Posted

I can quote numerous others if you like, it does not have to be just a Thames Snow Streamer event for London to get pasted. Lots of snow to be had last February 2012, and in the years just before 2010 frontal snow and snowfall coming up from France hit the Capital some winters.

But if you are looking for anything more than a 1cm and gone by lunch time jobbie they have been numerous as well in the winters 1992, 1993,1994,1996,1997,1998,1999,2000,2001,2002,2006

So a bleak run from the above!

Also seem to remember 1988 and 1989 with no snow at all over the winter if memory serves me right!

Yeah I suppose we've just been unlucky so far this week. Hopefully our turn will come. If not, theres still February