Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion 16/01/13, 12z Onwards

Coast

Posted

Obvious disappointment this morning with the front expected to develop a low pressure in the Irish Sea. From looking at possible 20cm falls to being faced with the likelihood of 2cm!

Certainly a huge improvement for the guys in Ireland, both North and South.

To think only yesterday we were contemplating the prospect of near blizzard conditions!

Posted

This has happened before, so I was not holding my breath as I said last night on TWO not after the March 2004 debacle. At 10PM that night, the Met Office put out a severe weather warning for disruptive snow for our region, Diane Oxberry mention the threat of snow in her broadcast. I saw the radar at midnight thinking this was seriously going wrong. The snow had died out on our doorstep! And this was a nowcast that had gone pear-shaped, let alone 36 hours out. We got at most a few snow flurries the next morning.

I believe Diane Oxberry was embarrassed the next evening for the none snow.

Posted

Local BBC forecast still talking about the amber warning for snow tomorrow.

This will be changed later and I would imagine much of the region will come out of the amber area with the exception of Merseyside, West Lancs and Chester sort of area. Obviously we are now subject to further Westward and Southward adjustments.

The problem is that as the secondary depression forms it pulls back the frontal advance on the Northern side of the front so the core of the PPN and the angle of the front change - wrongly for us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

Hc 0z still looks good for snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

As Matt says the current Met Office forecasts look very odd now without question when compared to the overnight guidance even against their own FAX chart so expect amendments to filter into national forecasts through the morning , warnings generally get reviewed around 11am onwards.

Posted

So whats happened in lamens terms. What will happen with the widnes st helens area

Posted

I'd say your still likely to get a dusting Peter but don't expect the blizzards and deep snow as the front now looks a very weak affair.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

Morning all, just a quick look before work, and thankfully I wont really be able to check the charts today, too confusing. From a purely IMBY my area Nrth of Liverpool city centre looks ok, for now. Think I will stick to nowcasting and the good old lampost, I have 'wasted' so much time model watching these last few weeks, only to be let down and it looks like it could happen again..........I should stick to my dancing

Posted

Obvious disappointment this morning with the front expected to develop a low pressure in the Irish Sea. From looking at possible 20cm falls to being faced with the likelihood of 2cm!

Certainly a huge improvement for the guys in Ireland, both North and South.

To think only yesterday we were contemplating the prospect of near blizzard conditions!

would you rather have rain? thought not ;):p

Morning all, just a quick look before work, and thankfully I wont really be able to check the charts today, too confusing. From a purely IMBY my area Nrth of Liverpool city centre looks ok, for now. Think I will stick to nowcasting and the good old lampost, I have 'wasted' so much time model watching these last few weeks, only to be let down and it looks like it could happen again..........I should stick to my dancing

Liverpool and south of the region are fine, the problem lies with the north and the east..which doesn't affect us so much, still looks the same totals for us as yesterday.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

You can get over consumed with the models sometimes jan and things do change. But u can bet your life if it wernt cold we would be getting floods

Posted

Just goes to show how much uncertainty is present in forecasting, can only hope that what actually happens is slightly different than forecast and we get a reasonable couple of centimeters of snow

would you rather have rain? thought not blum.gif

Liverpool and south of the region are fine, the problem lies with the north and the east..which doesn't affect us so much, still looks the same totals for us as yesterday.

I suppose look at the glass being half full rather than half empty :)

Posted

Whatever happens, it will still snow. 2-5cm is better than nothing, and as others have mentioned southwestern parts of the region are still in with a good chance of heavier snow.

Can't afford more westward shifts though.

Edited by AderynCoch

Posted

Totals look generally at least 10cm or more lower than yesterday across much of the region with many areas (further N+E) missing out completely. highest totals now focussed on East Wales and the high ground of Northern Ireland.

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

Hmm but it is downgrading? We will have to wait and see,I have lost my rampness

Posted

Just seen bbc forcast it doesnt even make it past cheshire gap

Posted

what doesnt make it past the cheshire gap? i did not see the forecast

Posted

But at the end still has us in the Amber warning,she did say it would change later

Posted

ok so there still like a chance of snow for some of us....I think we have to accept while we might get snow ...a 'massive' event now looks unlikely...frustrating....but anyone who is shocked by this shouldnt be...rare events are rare for a reason....the lesson is when the models show anything very rare (the biggest storm ever, the snowiest chart ever the hottest spell ever)...assume the models are wrong!

Posted

The front never gets past cheshire gap

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long hot summers, cold winters.

i dont think they do mate. Massive shift to the south.Wales in the main firing line now.Im sure we might get a dusting but we are right on the egde of it now according to bbc