Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion 16/01/13, 12z Onwards

Coast

Posted

Just got reply from matt -

"@MattHugo81: @ciaran_fallon - Some snow still, but blizzards and >20cm extremely unlikely now in my opinion. E Lancs perhaps 2cm to 5cm given latest data"

Posted

Are u any good riding horses ciaran? i bet u never heard that 1 b4 ha

Nope lol - never seen a 6 ft 2 jockey! But I do know him! :-)

Posted

im 6 5 so no hope for me either lol. Hope we get plastered In Donegal now. have yous got snow lying?

Yeah a bit, hoping for more ! It's like been back home in derry , never seen any snow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

The north west loses out again, massively disappointing.

And those in the west and south of the region not caring about westward shifts will be concerned now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

An explanation in the model thread from Matt on why things have changed -

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Really should have learned by now not to get excited at the prospects of snow forecast until It is actually falling from the sky! So just grey cloudy and cold with perhaps light snow, it's not even white with frost really because of how low the dew point is, very dry air. Temp atm 0c

Pray for a miracle that future runs ditch the idea of the developing shortwave! Typical as they'd be nothing marginal about it.

Posted

Sorry, it's all my fault. I ramped this thing to death last night.

Even so it's not done and dusted yet, not to mention the potential for more snow events in the coming week.

Posted

you couldn't make this up,you really couldn't.

we have gone from snowmaggedon to virtually nothing overnight,to say im gutted is a huge understatement.

Time to think long and hard about a new hobby,too mny lets down but this one really does take the biscuit.

Yes this was the worry last night, I think we will see a weakening feature now just edging into the region. I think given the nature of the synoptics going forward, then events look to favour all other regions other than the NW, so desperately disappointing.

I'm here and I'm not having that, I bet my house that the mid to south western parts of the north west still have amber warnings at midday.

They will adjust accordingly later today I would think, they will have to change the base regional forecasts anyway and change the likes of the East Midlands, Yorks to a dry day.

Latest MetO Forecast still going for significant snow for NW England with even some tonight. Not quite snowmageddon perhaps...

Today:

Dry and very cold for most despite some brightness after any freezing fog patches clear. Some patchy snow may reach Cheshire towards evening as winds increase. Maximum temperature 1 °C.

Tonight:

Most places dry at first, but becoming windy with a little snow in places, perhaps more persistent and heavier in the south later. Minimum temperature -4 °C.

Friday:

Windy with snow spreading to all areas with some significant accumulations with a risk of disruption. Risk of blizzards over high ground and feeling bitterly cold in the wind. Maximum temperature 1 °C.

This will have to be changed later today.

Posted

Look lke just a small dusting of snow for here now :( Can only hope forecasts are slightly inaccurate and we get the snow :)

Posted

At least Eno smiles when she's delivering the bad (good) news! It's still looking promising for those of us in the south of the region where we normally miss out. cold.gif

you will be perfectly fine, it's aimed right down our throats.

If I lived anywhere else right about now I'd be concerned too.

Just went outside again. Light flakes of snow falling, although you cannot call it a snow shower. Just took the dogs out, occasional small flakes fall every min or so. Wouldn't be surprised to see proper light snow showers mid morning, then again tonight and into tomorrow. I am not worried about the amber warning, but people in the north should be if they want the heavier stuff.. so now it's a waiting game, and lets see what happens.

Posted

Shocking, how can they predict blizzard like conditions and then not 12 hours later were getting 2-5cm at max, no surprise though.

Given the way the models have trended I would actually be pleased with 5cm :)

As Ian says, it is desperately disappointing.

I think the worst thing about it is that it did genuinely look to be such an unusual and special event.

STILL time for changes though

Edited by Joe Bloggs

Posted

Look lke just a small dusting of snow for here now sad.png Can only hope forecasts are slightly inaccurate and we get the snow smile.png

the bigger totals where always closer to the west than the east and looking at this scenario i don't see much if anything has changed

just people scare mongering :p

Posted

Looks magnificient for the south and west of the region...which is nice, because down here we get bugger all compared to everywhere north of us.

still got a few flakes flying around

Posted

When i used the word downgrade last night i was criticised. Well for me it has been trending in this direction for the last two days. Meto update has us a maximum 70% chance tomorrow. All forecasts will be adjusted again today. What a disappointment again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temps under 25 degrees and Disruptive Heavy Snowfall any other time

Gutting to wake up and read the threads this morning. Oh well - fingers crossed for next week.