Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion - January 17th 2013. 12z onwards

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Inetrestingly, HotCuppa, we're forecast a period of light snow from 1800hrs tonight.

Posted

I just got into st Helens and the eletronic notice board read, 'heavy snow expected be prepared' I have never seen a weather warning on those before in my life.

Hope the notice board is right îˆ

Posted

Inetrestingly, HotCuppa, we're forecast a period of light snow from 1800hrs tonight.

accu weather been saying that for the last day or two for tonight, lets see if they are right.

however ecm on the norwegian site thinks this afternoon for several hours before begining again after dark.

Posted

Looking on the bright side, even though i can't play golf over the weekend - longridge fell is still under snow, at least i'll be able to get up to beacon fell on my bike .... every cloud and all that smile.png

Posted

So after spending a good week on this site, reading this thread looking forward to a huge regional snowstorm only to wake up this morning to find out that the forecast has changed for me and I will miss out again is so disappointing.

Essentially I feel as though I have wasted my time constantly reading the boards tonly to have been let down, at the last minute again.

All the best to you guys who get it, for the great threads etc.

All the best,

Barmada Casten

Yes it’s frustrating but if you look at the classic spells, 1947, 62-63 etc.. this sort of set-up will always see the North West, and Northern parts of the region especially as the area to miss out because – too far North for Southerly tracking LPS, too far West for snow coming from the East.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Many

We have a firm low pressure system carrying plenty of moisture colliding with cold easterly air, I very much doubt tomorrow will be a non-event. cold.gif

Posted

accu weather been saying that for the last day or two for tonight, lets see if they are right.

however ecm on the norwegian site thinks this afternoon for several hours before begining again after dark.

How do you rate South cheshires chances Hot Cuppa?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Got to be Harrison or the golf course. Not too far to walk from liscard.

Discrimination lol.. you all live in Wallasey you can all have a big snowball fight, but here i'm isolated.. lol

Posted
  • Location: Walton liverpool 33m asl work hoylake near train station
  • Weather Preferences: winter snow summer lots of sun
  • Location: Walton liverpool 33m asl work hoylake near train station

Did any of you read the full warning this was at the end of it

A frontal system is expected to move northeastwards across southern, western and central areas of the UK during Friday, with rain over the far west turning to snow in many areas as it is encounters much colder air inland. There remains some uncertainty as to how far northeast the frontal band will reach, whilst the strengthening southeasterly winds will bring in snow showers across areas further east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Yes it’s frustrating but if you look at the classic spells, 1947, 62-63 etc.. this sort of set-up will always see the North West, and Northern parts of the region especially as the area to miss out because – too far North for Southerly tracking LPS, too far West for snow coming from the East.

You have a point there - I don't think there is a reliable snow setup for the NW. Yes events like 1996 were good, but they're not reliable.

West Cumbria should get a few flurries soon if the radar is to be believed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

ECM looks right! Check out the radar, all that stuff over Wales is heading our way. :D

Posted

ECM looks right! Check out the radar, all that stuff over Wales is heading our way. biggrin.png

i don't really see that stuff ending up here, orientation looks weird

Posted

Can any expert clarify regarding the LP system that has developed for tomorrow in the Irish Sea - Matt Hugo says this was a negative effect for snow in the North West, but from what I have heard off the Met Office and searching google, this was only a good thing for snow terms around the globe when this happened elsewhere, see: http://www.wunderground.com/blog/24hourprof/comment.html?entrynum=11 when the Occlusion developed a low pressure system it dumped tons of snow. Now there is one in the Irish Sea - but I dont know what to believe. ANy expert shed some light?

Posted

Met office , bbc etc have north manchester (bury) down for snow and on amber warning, we likely to get around 2-5cm or 5-10cm?

yellow is 2-5cm and amber 10/15cm probably more with height

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Manchester airport TAF

18th dec - between 3.00 and 9.00 Light snow

18th dec - between 9.00 and 12.00 Light snow/Mist

18th dec - between 10.00 and 18.00 Snow with 30% chance of Heavy Snow between 12.00 and 18.00

TAF updated 17th Jan 11.13 am

I hope that helps chaps ;)

Posted

I am starting to see big similarities in tomorrow's event with the early Feb 2007 snow event. It was a low from the southwest hitting the cold block to the east/northeast. The bbc forecast expected the northern extend of the heavy snow to be greater Manchester but in the end it was further south. Manchester got just a few flakes in the wind, southern extremities of our region had a light covering.

I was gutted as friends in Leek, north staffordshire got a couple of cms, while Wales, west Mids and the southwest got several inches and my friend in Birmingham had to leave his car and walk for miles on his way back from work.

Karyo

Great!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather of all kinds, natural disasters and catastrophes.

The contrast between the bbc forecast ive just seen and the one from yesterday night is horrific.

Almost as though the snowfall is avoiding us. Looks like everywhere else in the country will get some though.

I'd be delighted with that, with some of the previous comments on this forum you would think the north west was gettin none at all!

THATS BECAUSE THE MAJORITY OF US WONT