Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion - January 17th 2013. 12z onwards

Snowangel-MK

Posted

personally i think they are on balance calling it right given the recent changes.

Yes I agree with you - buit I would still say it's virtually impossible for them to call this 24 hrs out. Yes they have access to data and modelling that we don't but with the high winds and large differences between the cold block over the country and the mild moist air out west there is a lot of energy bottled up and the final outcome could still change. (maybe god forbid even for the worse lol)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

NW England - http://www.metoffice...t_warnings.html AMBER

Wales - http://www.metoffice...t_warnings.html RED

Edited by Liam J

Posted

So as I said North Lancs and Cumbria have been screwed.

I genuinly cannot believe this sorry.gif

Great isn't it biggrin.png too far West when the snow comes from the East, too far West when the snow comes from the North, too far North when the snow comes from the SW. Madness rolleyes.gif

Anyone north of the M62 will be lucky to get snow tomorrow IMO.

Posted

I can see the confusion to be honest.

On the graphic it shoes south wales to be red and NW and western parts under amber. That is clear.

However, on the right hand side menu it shows that wales is red and nw is amber like the graphic, but...

if you click on the north west on the right hand menu then the popup graphic does show red for NW.

Obvious computer glitch.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temps under 25 degrees, thunderstorms and heavy snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

Ahh forget use obv dont see it

Posted

Are you all colour blind? lol

The dark red part over Wales is the RED warning referred to in the text 20-30cm so it is quite localised.

lol the text warning is red for NW England, click on the warning for nw england and you see a red sticker..but i think as others have said its obviously for south wales..looks like a general warning.

click this link

http://www.metoffice...0&regionName=nw

close up and all warnings, you need to click north west england, but its not really that important, its just a general warning

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

still a nowcast event for me, nobody has a clue

Posted

I'm assuming the meto is taking into consideration heights for this snowfall event, in which case they have the region under amber but have reserved the red for heights and any near-future nowcasts as the front progresses. Amber or not western facing slopes in the Peaks are bound to have more/less the same accumulation as expected in Wales anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,

See where you are coming from now but it mostly def 100% certain amber for the south of our region with a small part of central souther wales in the red warning from the met office meaning take action, its not too difficult to get lol? read from your sig smile.png

http://www.metoffice...t_warnings.html

Edited by Nick JB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather of all kinds, natural disasters and catastrophes.

Spent the last week looking forward to a 'nailed on, mega snow event' to only see, 12 hours before, the whole event will now completely miss me.

It happens repeatedly, tirelessly, again and again, every winter - I feel physically sick right now.

Posted

Still think its all to play for we are still 24 hours until the event so things will change . It can go from utterly dreadfull to great like it has gone from great to dreadfull . Also we live in a region where we are close to the sea so we could get some showers drifting in from the irish sea . I hope i get a pasting though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

@HotCuppa, I think we're on for a rather fun 12-15cm event here mate. Gotta love living in the extreme SW of the region sometimes. :D

Posted

lol the text warning is red for NW England, click on the warning for nw england and you see a red sticker..but i think as others have said its obviously for south wales..looks like a general warning.

click this link

http://www.metoffice...0&regionName=nw

close up and all warnings, you need to click north west england, but its not really that important, its just a general warning

Use the drop down region menu and it clearly shows NW England Amber and when you change it to Wales it's turns RED.

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Southern parts of the region still seem inline for a bit of pasting, hopefully south Manchester and north Cheshire, hint, hint. Wouldn't surprise me to see the amber warning slip south by tomorrow morning.

Yeah southern areas of region still certainly have the potential of disruptive snowfall 2-5cm generally and 5-10cm a possibility over South gtr Manchester, Merseyside, Wirral and Cheshire with south west cheshire eg: Chester closest to the East wales border looking like seeing the worst of the snowfall although any shift east which may well happen may well bring more of the region into the action. Visibility even in moderate snow when those winds pick up is likely to be poor so some significant disruption to the likes of Manchester/Liverpool airport/ M6/ M62 etc... should not be discounted I suppose.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms and snow

My goodness I hope this doesn't change :-)

Yay - Harrison Park here we come!!!! Lol I noticed before my profile said I was Male - am defo not so have changed it!!

Posted

I'm not confident of any great amount of snow here now. The red warning for the Brecon Beacons area is a bit bizzare IMO, I find it hard to believe you can forecast such extreme events at this early stage for one localised region. I don't think Ive seen a red warning for snow in Scotland, but Ive seen one in Southern England a few years back and now this Welsh affair......Red should be flash warnings nearer the time

Posted

to be honest mate, the south of the region really has not seen any changes at all, the amber is still in place, but what we don't want is for this to move further west again..it seems a little too close for further major changes, should progress as planned now, i suspect..looking forward to the band over southern ireland to get here

Posted

Liam Dutton â€@liamdutton

The @metoffice has just issued their highest tier RED warning for higher parts of SE Wales. Blizzards expected, with 20-30cm of snow.

Ian Fergusson â€@fergieweather

"@metoffice: A Red warning for snow is in place in parts of Wales tomorrow: http://bit.ly/Weatherwarnings Red means 'take action'."

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

to be honest mate, the south of the region really has not seen any changes at all, the amber is still in place, but what we don't want is for this to move further west again..it seems a little too close for further major changes, should progress as planned now, i suspect..looking forward to the band over southern ireland to get here

A 20-30 mile shift NE'wards would benefit us in every way.

Usually it's Manchester getting the bulk of the snow, now it's our turn.

Your temperature shot up btw? 1.7C here now.