Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - January 17th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Dunno if I have any confidence in that forecast BMW, seems a bit premature to me? The front isn't forecast to reach us now.

Never heard of a severe flurry of snow? Still, as I said before, it will all come down to radar watching in the end.smile.png

November 2010 had a particularly severe flurry of snow lasting about 5 dayslaugh.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry, cool and sunny

Our local radio station (Northsound 1) have just reported that up to 8 inches of snow could fall in places through Aberdeenshire tomorrow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Our local radio station (Northsound 1) have just reported that up to 8 inches of snow could fall in places through Aberdeenshire tomorrow!

You look very well positioned for a lot of snow tomorrow, coastal parts may see more modification but the -8C uppers at least gives them a fighting chance.

Having looked at the MO forecast I'm beginning to think that if I head back to Freuchie this weekend I might not get back on Sunday evening...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Thanks LS, I remember when I was a young boy Glasgow done well from a straight easterly. We got a good few inches with non stop snow showers.

Went to the fridge to check my burgers, aaaaannndddd they're off!

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

The precipitation in the North Sea is certainly beginning to look more interesting than the stuff in the west. If we get some light snow from the west and heavy from the east Scotland could still take a good hit of snow. I tell you what this could be a really exciting night after all. Bugger the models!

Posted

The Norwegians are saying we will get snow too http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/Scotland/Glen_Dye/

Batten down our hatches.

I'll take photos for those who are missing it once I find out how to post them!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Probably the best advice on here today smile.png

Was that 'Burger' the models :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,cold,frost,fog,wind,rain

a light snow shower predicted on monday for me by the bbc now - great! sorry.gif glasgow area seems to be in the bad books this winter, so close so many times then hope just seems to fade away

Edited by gsteruk

Posted

You look very well positioned for a lot of snow tomorrow, coastal parts may see more modification but the -8C uppers at least gives them a fighting chance.

Having looked at the MO forecast I'm beginning to think that if I head back to Freuchie this weekend I might not get back on Sunday evening...

Meto forecast has snow for Kelty from 6pm tomorrow until 12am Tues. :S

Posted

Was that 'Burger' the models smile.png

Yeh the models are Neigh good ,just not Stable...horses for courses an aw that!

Posted

post-14783-0-10488200-1358421596_thumb.j

Ok, sussed how to add photos.

This was our local hills yesterday morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Thanks LS, I remember when I was a young boy Glasgow done well from a straight easterly. We got a good few inches with non stop snow showers.

As a lad I lived in a village just outside Airdrie. I can't remember exactly what year, but I'm guessing mid-late 80s, we had one huge snowfall. I remember it for several reasons,

(1) My bedroom faced East and I watched the showers moving in, and the snow in our front garden deepen, until it was well above the low fence (first time I'd ever know it to be that deep).

(2) It drifted across the fields and the gaps in the hedges. At our back gate it wast waist deep as it drifted through the gap between out house and the one next door.

(3) Digging my dads car out in the mornings and pushing it out of the street so he could get to work (Ravenscraig). We lived on a bit of a hill and a JCB (neighbors daughters boyfriend) usually turned up and dug out the roads during the day, allowing my dad to get home OK. Then it would snow again and /or drift overnight, with us having to dig him out again the next day.

(4) Taking our sledge down to the local bakery to get bread. All the roads were covered in snow and the main road from the M-8 into Airdrie was a lorry park.

So you can get good snow in the West from an Easterly, and I'm sure it lasted several days too.

Edited by Ravelin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Well according to the good old BEEB, Lochgelly will be 2 degrees and light rain on Monday, JOY!. Would rather eat a bad burger sad.png

Edited by tempestwatch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Try and pin down the date Ravelin and will pull the chart from Wetterzentrale archive.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

If we only get another couple of cms here I'll be happy. There's been snow on the ground since Sunday morning and it's just nice to have it cold and actually LOOKING wintry :)

In other news, yesterday I FINALLY got an ice day! First since last February. A low of -4.1C (which is pretty good going up here on the hill) and a max of -0.8C. Fantastic! Currently -0.6C so might squeeze another one today by the looks of it.

I was up at Glenshee yesterday and it was the coldest I've been on the hills in a very long time. -11C passing through Spittal of Glenshee but up past the ski centre it was a balmy -5C. Amazing how a bit of height gets you above the really cold stuff.....which is very much like living up here in Fife I suppose.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Jeez those Norwegians are good. Even show local cams; picked up the borders weather one in Greenlaw!

http://www.yr.no/pla...and/Galashiels/

Maybe it's the wegi part? Nor-weegie-ans? Like Glaswegians but further north?

Sod the met office. I'm up for a union with Norway!

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

No Ice Day today then. Temp. +0.3C/-0.4C (+0.4C/hour).

Wouldn't fancy our chances of good dry and powdery snow tomorrow IF it reaches here. Wet claggy stuff the way the temperature is trending.

Off to work.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Went to the fridge to check my burgers, aaaaannndddd they're off!

Make the most of these jokes while the goings good.

Posted

Metoffice updated warning.

Issued at - 17 Jan 2013, 11:40

Valid from - 18 Jan 2013, 01:00

Valid to - 18 Jan 2013, 23:55

A band of heavy sleet and snow will spread northeastwards across Wales and the southwestern half of England, with rain turning increasingly to snow across Northern Ireland through Friday initially over high ground, but later to low levels. Winds will strengthen, leading to drifting of lying snow, whilst blizzards are likely over high ground. The snow will turn to rain and sleet across southwest England through the day.

Meanwhile, snow showers affecting North Sea coastal counties of Scotland and England will move further inland during Friday.

Accumulations of snow will be very variable in the east, with 2-5 cm in places and possibly 10 cm above 200 metres, whilst heavier falls are expected across southern, central and western areas, with 10-15 cm or more possible in some areas. This warning should be viewed alongside other warnings issued for Friday.

Posted

That Norwegian site is the business. I never even knew half of those web cams existed! Now added to my favourites!

Posted

http://www.metoffice...nings/#?tab=map

The warnings for Sat and Sun suggest they've no idea regarding the extent of snow showers from the east.

Edited by 101_North

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

No warnings for Glasgow now, looks like NI will do well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Try and pin down the date Ravelin and will pull the chart from Wetterzentrale archive.

Ah, now you're testing my memory (and I hope it isn't all muddled up with several events all merging into one).

Here goes....I'm sure it was the same event that meant I didn't get to college in Glasgow for a week. Some searching also suggests 85/86 was a cold snowy winter, which would fit in with my first year at college. I've also seen reference whilst searching for "12inches in late November 85" in reference to Scotland.

So if you really want to do it then search the charts for late Nov 1985.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

http://www.metoffice...nings/#?tab=map

The warnings for Sat and Sun suggest they've no idea regarding the extent of snow showers from the east.

Jeg stoler ikke på Met Office prognoser.

De legger for mye hest kjøtt i sine burgere.

http://translate.goo...sine burgere.

Edited by scottish skier