Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Regional Discussion - January 15th 2013, 12z onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

5:30am this morning some laying snow, but roads clear, 8:30 am steady snow (small flakes) about 1-2inches settled snow and roads covered.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Weather

It's snowing quite heavy here in Deiniolen, but the problem is, it's so windy the snow sticks on walls and windows before the ground, therefore there isn't that much of snow lying on the ground. Power cables seems to be swinging around like mad, so I'm a bit worried we will lose our electricity. But snow totals up to now is nothing compared to some areas in South Wales. Temperature -0.7C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

you were in Bridgend lat time I came here, back in December 2010, weren't you?

Yes but im in university in Aber now! Wish I was back in Bridgend for this as its hardly given a covering on roads and pavements here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

Just curious... How come the met office have isolated that one area as being the 'red zone'? Considering the band is fairly large, im just wondering why it is only that area at such high risk? Thanks in advance!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe disruptive snow or any other severe weather!

Woke up and couldnt ask for more its a winter wonderland out there, strong winds and snow love it, happy snow day everyone good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: red hot lead hail

agree about the power. wonder how much longer we'll be up?

Posted

Well I tried to make it to work, M4 Closed so I only got as far as Pyle and its really still comming down. Main band wont arrive until 9pm???? There is a lot more of this to come?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Snow for about 10min became light, bigger flakes now falling, hope there is more to come!

Huge flakes here now - whiteout must have at least 4 inches on the ground and still pelting down! memorable event this. Could have over a foot by the end of the day if this keeps up.

Where in Cardiff are you to? Edited by Panayiotis

Just curious... How come the met office have isolated that one area as being the 'red zone'? Considering the band is fairly large, im just wondering why it is only that area at such high risk? Thanks in advance!

Probably due to 2 reasons,

The Valleys always tend to get heavier precipitation than other parts of south Wales when fronts push in from the South West, rainfall totals for this areas will confirm this.

All of the precipitation there will be of snow, while places closer to the coast, might have seen it start off as sleet/rain, and it might turn back to sleet/ rain in other areas.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and warm summers

Huge flakes here now - whiteout must have at least 4 inches on the ground and still pelting down! memorable event this. Could have over a foot by the end of the day if this keeps up.

Where to are you in Cardiff Jay?

EDIT - Don't worry - seen your anser

Edited by ourson

Posted
  • Location: Gilfach, Bargoed, South East Wales Valleys, 190m Asl
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Ice, Frost, Thunderstorms, Gales
  • Location: Gilfach, Bargoed, South East Wales Valleys, 190m Asl

Probably due to 2 reasons,

The Valleys always tend to get heavier precipitation than other parts of south Wales when fronts push in from the South West, rainfall totals for this areas will confirm this.

All of the precipitation there will be of snow, while places closer to the coast, might have seen it start off as sleet/rain, and it might turn back to sleet/ rain in other areas.

I can confirm I am in the red area and there is a very large amount of snow on the ground already - and currently close to 9 inches and still heavy.

JK

Edited by CRACKPOT

Posted

I thinks its due to height and winds, where I am there are drifts and getting bigger all the time,my dad lives only 4 mins away in car and he cant see any drifting. I will try and post some pics later of our cars,nothing on the one side and hanging drifts on the other, I havnt got much by my back door and next door its drifting up her door the wind is strong up here.

Posted

Pentwyn mate, roads not gritted again haha.

Im very close to you, im in Penylan.

Posted

11cm level snow here now (just measured); deeper in drifts. If this keeps up for another few hours I would expect 20cm+. It's quite dry snow so not too bad for driving, roads are passable with care; it's just the other drivers you have to watch out for!

Posted

So around 3am I guess gritters were out, but it started to rain this probably washed away the grit, then snow piled on top of it = dangerous roads!

Edited by Panayiotis