Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional Discussion - Cold and Snow 17/01/13 ->

Isolated Frost

Posted

gavin please done say the word sleet...we only just got snow ,i will end up in total melt down lol

the snow still falling in darlington! anyone know how long it will last?

you were peeved before because you thought you wouldn't get any lol.could be the real deal this one imho.

Posted

they dont, but the point is that the more easterly element is coming straight off the relatively warm sea, whereas the more southerly flow is coming over land, which, is canny cold atm, so, rising DPs along the coastal strip can be a good indicator of an airflow modified by the 'warm' sea

cant believe its not hammering in Durham??? I guess the wind flow is favouring the Consett area due to some degree of orographic PPN

Have a look at the radar. It's like we're dodging anything more than the blue colours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

The worst thing about this is that, although the last few years have produced a few of these, in general these events are rare... so for one to come along and you miss out by the odd mile while most get clobbered is, well - this is why I'm pretty down - the next chance for something like this might not be for many, many years.

How much snow lying do you have?

Posted

misread your post (TALLY) not that i agree though.

there's a link on the main forum Gazza.

thx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe gales, heavy rain and alpine climates

Have a look at the radar. It's like we're dodging anything more than the blue colours.

sorry, when I said 'cant believe' I meant more out of surprise than not trusting you :).....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Absolutely hammering down here. Last time I saw this was 2010. Intensity 9/10. I think it will last at least another hour, before it becomes showery. Temp -0.5c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

gavin please done say the word sleet...we only just got snow ,i will end up in total melt down lol

Don't worry Jen there's no sleet any where near us its the radar playing tricks

This is set in for a while yet

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

Judging by the radar another few hours although i dont think it will get that intense just steady as she goes really, should put down maybe an inch i reckon

Which is loads better than NickRdrinks.gif

Posted

they dont, but the point is that the more easterly element is coming straight off the relatively warm sea, whereas the more southerly flow is coming over land, which, is canny cold atm, so, rising DPs along the coastal strip can be a good indicator of an airflow modified by the 'warm' sea

cant believe its not hammering in Durham??? I guess the wind flow is favouring the Consett area due to some degree of orographic PPN

more to do with us living ontop of a bloody cold windy rocky outcrop.not sure what the geographical term is for such a location.

Posted

How much snow lying do you have?

Left? hard to tell as most of it has been disturbed by one thing or another. Most paths now down to sheet of ice, roads clear apart from side roads, grass undisturbed about 5cms maybe, but not much is undisturbed.

In other words, less than pretty much everyone in Sund, Newc, Consett, Washington, etc, etc,

Posted

Still snowing here, quite heavy but with the small flakes rather than the chunky flakes which I have to admit was quite fun watching.

I can't see dewpoints rising too much in all honesty, they might on Sunday as the air could be a litle more modified for a short while but I can't see any of this turning to sleet/rain for anyone, I be shocked if it does.

Posted

more to do with us living ontop of a bloody cold windy rocky outcrop.not sure what the geographical term is for such a location.

there are no words in the dictionary that can describe Consett ha ha ha

Posted

Judging by the radar another few hours although i dont think it will get that intense just steady as she goes really, should put down maybe an inch i reckon

Which is loads better than NickRdrinks.gif

looking at the radar the snow feed for Darlo stretches way down into North Yorkshire.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

Temp and Dew Point rising sharply herecray.gif dew point -0.3 and temp 0.9 getting abit concerned

Saying that we have heavy snow with 50p size flakes at the minute

Edited by seabreeze86

Posted

Still snowing here, quite heavy but with the small flakes rather than the chunky flakes which I have to admit was quite fun watching.

I can't see dewpoints rising too much in all honesty, they might on Sunday as the air could be a litle more modified for a short while but I can't see any of this turning to sleet/rain for anyone, I be shocked if it does.

there are no words in the dictionary that can describe Consett ha ha ha

was waiting for S-H-I-T HOLE LOL.

Edited by peterf

Posted

you were peeved before because you thought you wouldn't get any lol.could be the real deal this one imho.

lol i know could not stay away went off in a mood came back when i seen the white stuff falling ,only because you lot know more about the weather than me ....will this snow shower last a while?

Posted

10 min breather before the next band.

lol i know could not stay away went off in a mood came back when i seen the white stuff falling ,only because you lot know more about the weather than me ....will this snow shower last a while?

plenty showing on the radar for you.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

This snow is coming from Yorkshire in a constant band I'd say its got a few hours to go yet at least

Got a good covering out there now

:)

Posted

I'm 2 miles from Whitley bay and it has been constant heavy snow since 5pm.

Had some thunder snow too. Will try and up load some pics

Main roads covered. Very bad driving conditions and wind picking up.

Has just eased off with the snow in last 5 mins

Edited by Emma Jayne Agar

Posted

Its a trough rather than a shower....and it appears to be converging with the front that hit the rest of England/Wales earlier today, so it could have a few hours in it.....

Posted

Left? hard to tell as most of it has been disturbed by one thing or another. Most paths now down to sheet of ice, roads clear apart from side roads, grass undisturbed about 5cms maybe, but not much is undisturbed.

In other words, less than pretty much everyone in Sund, Newc, Consett, Washington, etc, etc,

Quit moaning will you, that's a good amount.

Posted

keep an eye on the free radar,you'll learn a lot regards movement and direction.

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/