Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Regional Discussion 17th January 2013 22:00hrs>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

very light snowing falling here! clapping.gif

Quick question: Where the sun didnt thaw the frost yesterday, it has stayed put, but there hasnt been any more frost overnight. Why would that be?

CD

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Light snow in Brighton. we are all white!

Posted

Snow grains going from light to a little heavier roofs beginning to white up slowly but surely

Can you put your location in your profile please? :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Cold Winters & Warm Dry Summers

very light snowing falling here! clapping.gif

Quick question: Where the sun didnt thaw the frost yesterday, it has stayed put, but there hasnt been any more frost overnight. Why would that be?

CD

Because of cloud cover I think and dry air maybe?

Posted

Snow starting to pick up in intensity in Central London. Sitting right next to Kings Cross and its settling easily and starting to build.

Posted

Cold, windy and cloudy, it will be a dank day here if we don't get the snow.

Hopefully a bit of snow will cheer the place up.

Temp -1.8

Who was it who said it would be marginal today?rofl.gif

Posted

Looks like a looooong wait for us Easties going by the NAE output. Could be well into the afternoon before we see it reaching us. Decent accumulations everywhere though so worry not. It will get here, we just have to be very patient.

Posted

Morning folks, and a fine snowy morning it is too! Here, about 4cm snow, temp around freezing or just below.

First, my unreserved apology to the Met Office for questioning their severe weather warning. There were absolutely on the money and I take my hat off to them!

In all my years, I have never seen a snow situation develop in this way - I really did not think it possible! There is always something new to learn about the weather that is why I have been so fascinated by it over so many years.

It's eerie here right now, it's quieter outside than Christmas Day, seems people have actually heeded the warnings.

I expect the snow will gradually ease, there is no sign of it thawing at the moment. Even the roads are covered.

Great stuff!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers and cold snowy winters

Getting going in Tunbridge Wells now- still very light but becoming more intense by the minute...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Just started lightly snowing in Tunbridge Wells. If it gets heavy I am heading home to work from there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms.

Looks like a looooong wait for us Easties going by the NAE output. Could be well into the afternoon before we see it reaching us. Decent accumulations everywhere though so worry not. It will get here, we just have to be very patient.

Yea, looks like a later kick off for the snow cup over here!

Posted

Severe weather in Sussex

Motorists and rail passengers in Sussex are being warned to expect travel disruption as the county braces itself for its worst winter weather so far. Train operators are warning of changes to timetables, and officials at Gatwick Airport are warning passengers to check flights before travelling. Southern Rail is running an amended timetable and fewer services.

About 25 schools have closed in West Sussex because of the weather according to the county councils. The Met Office has issued a severe weather warning for South East England for Friday, warning of snow throughout the region - including much of East and West Sussex - and a danger of some drifting. BBC South East weather presenter Rachel Mackley said: "We've got weather warnings out from the Met Office about the snowfall which are valid all weekend, but it is likely to become more significant from mid-morning. "Widely we're expecting five to 10cm of snow with up to 15cm in some areas further to the west. "Temperatures won't rise above freezing and we've got bitterly cold south easterly winds. Snow flurries are expected Saturday and Sunday."

The Highways Agency is warning drivers to be prepared and to set off earlier. Sussex's two county councils and Brighton & Hove City Council sent out gritters during overnight to try to ensure main routes are passable, but many side roads around the county have been left untreated. East Sussex County Council said on Twitter: "We treated our snow routes at 5am this morning and the gritters are heading out again at 9am to treat the primary routes again." Southern Rail, which serves London from the Sussex and East Hampshire coast, says passengers using the East and West Coastways into the capital are likely to be particularly affected. The half-hourly services from Eastbourne and Littlehampton, which normally join at Haywards Heath, will instead each run hourly, but will generally comprise more carriages. First Capital Connect says it hopes to run a normal service.

Gatwick Airport is warning on its website: "We advise you to allow extra time for your journey and to check the status of your flight with your airline before travelling to the airport.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-21065481