Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Three Counties & East Anglia Regional Discussion - January 20th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

I think it's a radar error, it's slightly underestimating the intensity to the N of Norwich? Not sure though

It looks like a calibration difference between different radars. The coverage is made up of overlapping returns from many different stations so I'd say thats whats causing SOME of the odd looking lines

ex-radar engineer but not weather radar.

Posted

Today has been great, about 8cm at least and more to come still by the looks of it! Nearly 11 hours of non-stop snowfall now!

Posted

Up on the cliffs here this is turning into a major snow event. If the snow keeps falling at this rate for another two hours I will be digging my van out of the driveway in the morning, and driving out of my road (what road) is going to be quite funny.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow, Thunderstorms & Summer Plumes

It looks like a calibration difference between different radars. The coverage is made up of overlapping returns from many different stations so I'd say thats whats causing SOME of the odd looking lines

ex-radar engineer but not weather radar.

Ahhh right, thanks for the info! Was thinking somewhere along those lines but not knowledgeable enough to explain it haha

Edited by Chris D

Posted

Brilliant innit!!!

Yeah, another couple of hours of this and we will end up with hour deepest snow cover for several years here

Posted

Been going basically all day, since about 11am. Got about 13cm right now and funnily enough it's now got up to about the heaviest it's been all day. Few more hours please!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

Off topic i know but if you could PLEASE VOTE FOR MY FRIEND SHAYNE WARD ON DOI i would really appreciate it...

090 20 50 51 04

THANKS SO MUCH xx

Posted

Ahhh right, thanks for the info! Was thinking somewhere along those lines but not knowledgeable enough to explain it haha

It could also be caused by a landscape feature partially blocking returns from particular directions, although I'd have thought they'd have positioned the sites well enough to avoid this. Whichever it is if theres a really straight line, or a very regular looking curve it may well be a radar feature.

Posted

Amazing but looking at the radar it could only just be starting for my location. Plenty of green blobs approaching from the SE.

On a different note this is going to cause carnage across E Scotland!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

This constant snowy dandruff is becoming a tad boring. I want proper big snowflakes please. :)

Edited by Keraunophile

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Good lord after a few hours of fine snow blizzards, it's been replaced, by larger flakes of snow, good times :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Snow now coming down at its heaviest, about 2cm an hour or so. Just been out in the 4x4 and I only saw about 4 cars over 15 miles. The snow is sitting on the road 3 inches deep in places.

WHY O WHY have the MetOffice not upgraded the warning for EA and the 3 counties today. There is going to be major disruption tomorrow morning across much of the east. The warning states 2-5cm, with perhaps 8cm for the east. Many on here reporting much more than this, with 6 inches in some places, some reports of drifting in areas as well!

Hope this continues for a while, got about 12cm now in total (including previous snow fall).

I expect that I will still be expected to be at work tomorrow, and will be moaned at the rest of the week if I don't. I live in a rural location with no gritted roads for 3 miles in any direction. The 'townies' I work with have it relatively easy.

Posted

This constant snowy dandruff is becoming a tad boring. I want proper big snowflakes please. smile.png

Know that feeling, seems to be like that over us as well but then gets better on the way to Peterborough . . looks like I am in the wrong place today less than 1cm of snow on the ground

Posted

Good lord after a few hours of fine snow blizzards, it's been replaced, by larger flakes of snow, good times smile.png

It's getting heavier, and heavier and bigger flakes, quite amazing. Shame I have to get to work by 7am tomorrow in order to pay for the heating bills.

Posted

well 10 hours of euro washing powder here in braintree and now finally a decent amount laying.

questions ....is the euro powder richer then the uk stuff as it seems to have millions of diamonds in it?

snow day at school tomorrow or not diablo.gif

Posted

Radar looks very good for Norfolk and N.Cambridgeshire IMO for the next few hours at the very least. Some heavier PPN heading this way again by the looks of it.

Posted

Snow now coming down at its heaviest, about 2cm an hour or so. Just been out in the 4x4 and I only saw about 4 cars over 15 miles. The snow is sitting on the road 3 inches deep in places.

WHY O WHY have the MetOffice not upgraded the warning for EA and the 3 counties today. There is going to be major disruption tomorrow morning across much of the east. The warning states 2-5cm, with perhaps 8cm for the east. Many on here reporting much more than this, with 6 inches in some places, some reports of drifting in areas as well!

Hope this continues for a while, got about 12cm now in total (including previous snow fall).

I expect that I will still be expected to be at work tomorrow, and will be moaned at the rest of the week if I don't. I live in a rural location with no gritted roads for 3 miles in any direction. The 'townies' I work with have it relatively easy.

i got the fun to get to stowmarket in the morning that should hard going

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything and everything

Can't believe the amount we are getting here in Ippy, started at just around 12pm here and hasn't stopped.

Yes it's the small flakes but its SNOW!,

If that snow event comes to fruition for the 27th looks like my little boy is going to have a snowy 2nd birthday smile.png

started here about 8.30am and still going!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, snow and cloud formations

seems to be coming down more now with moderate size flakes. looks to be heavier than it has all day!

been going since 9am and hasn't let up all day!

love it lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

i got the fun to get to stowmarket in the morning that should hard going

I've got to get to Colchester....about 14 miles through country roads to get to Claydon, then A14 and the dreaded A12......fun!