Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion 21st January 2013, 06z onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temps under 25 degrees, thunderstorms and heavy snow

Think there might be some rather breezy conditions next weekend. I'll look forward to that during the 'less cold' blip, I love a good storm. :-)

• Replies 798
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I'd rather it go milder now to be honest.. prolonged cold I find really irritating. I can never get fed up of Atlantic storms, but somehow snow and ice and frigid temperatures lose their appeal after a few days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temps under 25 degrees, thunderstorms and heavy snow

I'd rather it go milder now to be honest.. prolonged cold I find really irritating. I can never get fed up of Atlantic storms, but somehow snow and ice and frigid temperatures lose their appeal after a few days.

I love storms too but prolonged disruptive snow gets my vote during winter ;-)

Posted

Lets get through the mild blip at the weekend then look fwd to a mega Greeny High through Feb.

You never know .... On this site (the link below) the talk is about the effects of the SSW only just taking effect further down in the atmosphere and the potential for further weakening of the polar vortex and so the potential for more cold incursions :)

http://theweathercentre.blogspot.de/2013/01/stratospheric-warming-propagating-to.html

Posted

Think there might be some rather breezy conditions next weekend. I'll look forward to that during the 'less cold' blip, I love a good storm. :-)

Don't see the appeal of gales, myself. You can't see it, it doesn't do anything except bend branches and trees, makes a whistling sound against telegraph wires. If its raining, it's horrendous to be out in. Can see why people have appeal in certain weather phenomena, heat, cold, snow, hail, thunder, fog etc but gales?

Edited by Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Don't see the appeal of gales, myself. You can't see it, it doesn't do anything except bend branches and trees, makes a whistling sound against telegraph wires. If its raining, it's horrendous to be out in. Can see why people have appeal in certain weather phenomena, heat, old, snow, hail, thunder, fog etc but gales?

I would by miles rather things were quiet, while mild, I see nothing to like about high winds and heavy rain (although it is the most common setup)

0pening days of Jan were okay well over 10C but dry

Posted

There's something cool about a gale,the wild feel and the tree tops moving about madly,It is rather cool though I would much rather the cold stay...some frosty,sunny weather would be nice.

Edited by greybing

Posted

I would by miles rather things were quiet, while mild, I see nothing to like about high winds and heavy rain (although it is the most common setup)

0pening days of Jan were okay well over 10C but dry

That first Saturday of the year was very pleasant, sunny, mild, calm. lovely.

Posted

That first Saturday of the year was very pleasant, sunny, mild, calm. lovely.

It was, but prefer what we have now by a long way

Posted

Don't see the appeal of gales, myself. You can't see it, it doesn't do anything except bend branches and trees, makes a whistling sound against telegraph wires. If its raining, it's horrendous to be out in. Can see why people have appeal in certain weather phenomena, heat, cold, snow, hail, thunder, fog etc but gales?

It's the whistling sound against telegraph wires, that does it for me.. wink.png

Posted
Posted (edited) · Hidden by SnowObsessor90, January 21, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by SnowObsessor90, January 21, 2013 - No reason given

Whilst the topic of 'mild' has the MOD thread now gone into deep depression mode on the back the latest ECM run or are people quite content?

Edited by SnowObsessor90
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

Getting clear here with clouds are breaking.

Posted

Nowt here now but 6 inches of frozen ice everywhere

frozen ice? isn't ice always frozen? mean frozen slush

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

well I guess it's back to reading the model thread til hopefully the next cold spell comes. preferably this winter and not next.cheerio folks

Posted

well I guess it's back to reading the model thread til hopefully the next cold spell comes. preferably this winter and not next.cheerio folks

Are you kidding me? that thread is enough to send even the most enthusiastic person into deep depression when the models aren't much of sign of cold weather.

Posted

Are you kidding me? that thread is enough to send even the most enthusiastic person into deep depression when the models aren't much of sign of cold weather.

yeah I only really glance over it to see the trends and peoples thoughts. bit hectic generally but I don't get caught up in that Lark

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

I been out walking with my mum with her dog and it was very very cold outside! The snow here is already crusty.

Edited by Fresh_Prince_Of_Leyland

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

18z is an upgrade for Snow for Friday night. North West and parts of The SE see snow whilst everyone else sees snow quickly turn to rain lol. Hilarious run, not sure I believe it though:

gfs-2-102.png?18

gfs-1-102.png?18

Posted

18z is an upgrade for Snow for Friday night. North West and parts of The SE see snow whilst everyone else sees snow quickly turn to rain lol. Hilarious run, not sure I believe it though:

gfs-2-102.png?18

gfs-1-102.png?18

is it still a mild breakdown?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Well thank god for that. A decent 7-8 cm of the good stuff today, clayton le woods. Massive let down last friday after being the firing line of 10-15cm and under a MO orange warning for it to go tits up last minute. I don't feel quite aggrivated now. My 2 year old has thrown her first snowball, built her first snowman and has had her first sledg ride. MO got it spectacularly wrong and only issued a yellow warning as it was stopping! OK so we haven't had snow event on snow event like lots of others but at least we've had a taste. I can sleep better tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

frozen ice? isn't ice always frozen? mean frozen slush

Ha ha i'd like to see ice not frozen, wait thats water!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather of all kinds, natural disasters and catastrophes.

Some persistent light snow in the evening has brought a 'dusting' ie/ less than half a cm which has largely melted in urban areas.

So we got some snow but evidently far less than everyone else - the Lake District has been so unlucky with these recent systems which seem to have avoided us almost deliberately!!

Best chance for further snowfall will be on the leading edge of the rain front later this week - accumulations of 2cm on lower levels of wet snow before rapidly turning to rain as the mild air sets in. In retrospect higher ground will see accumulations increase further.

Hope evryone's OK!