Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion 21st January 2013, 06z onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

What a great day. From next to nothing to 15 hrs of unforecast snow. Very very sorry for anyone who missed out, but I will be grateful for today's snow, and sharing the excitement with fellow NW regional members was a big part of it. Cheers guys. Might back off for a bit till the next round. Need to top up on mental snow-watch strength again! Hopefully won't be long.

• Replies 798
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather of all kinds, natural disasters and catastrophes.

What a great day. From next to nothing to 15 hrs of unforecast snow. Very very sorry for anyone who missed out, but I will be grateful for today's snow, and sharing the excitement with fellow NW regional members was a big part of it. Cheers guys. Might back off for a bit till the next round. Need to top up on mental snow-watch strength again! Hopefully won't be long.

Fantastic post mate. Really happy for the Blackpool/Fylde lot if anyone deserved it it was you guys.

Really enjoyed your company over the last few days and thanks for keeping us up to date.

Barmada Casten

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

is it still a mild breakdown?

It's a good old Soaking Sunday morning I'm afraid. But atleast its possible Saturday may be another Snowday before the floods kick in lol. To be honest I'm sticking with 72+ as FI becuase one minute the Breakdown is Saturday, the next its thursday night and now Sunday morning :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

It's a good old Soaking Sunday morning I'm afraid. But atleast its possible Saturday may be another Snowday before the floods kick in lol. To be honest I'm sticking with 72+ as FI becuase one minute the Breakdown is Saturday, the next its thursday night and now Sunday morning :p

yeah I know what you're saying. cheers for the update.

and it's snowing again. nice.

Posted

Still no snow settling in the far North of the North West region. A few flakes blowing about in the wind on and off all day.

Never mind, I got to work and back easily and Mrs mikeyd only had to drive the kids 5 miles South to Caldbeck to test the sledge.

Surprised that West Cumbria got a covering. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Really wouldn't be talking of a breakdown just yet. As much as I'd like to see one, that is currently FI, could change.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and humid with some thunderstorms plus some snow too.

Really wouldn't be talking of a breakdown just yet. As much as I'd like to see one, that is currently FI, could change.

What is your temperature thier BT? I would like to see some low temps this week before we loose the snow cover - is the sky were you are clearing now?

Luke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

What is your temperature thier BT? I would like to see some low temps this week before we loose the snow cover - is the sky were you are clearing now?

Luke

Hey Luke. It's 0.1C, has been fluctuating, a lot. The skies are 6/8 oktas right now.

Posted

SE cumbria once again very unlucky today, SW Cumbria saw far more snow than here - very unusual indeed. As the front approached the Irish Sea I believe some instability was caused helping to generate some heavy precipitation to SW parts of the county, whilst us and much of SE Cumbria as well as central parts of Cumbria and eastern Cumbria were just too sheltered by the Pennines so once the front hit these parts it had died of day. We have managed a couple of cms though and everything is coated white which is very nice. But so far this winter the highest total of snow we have recorded is a mere 5cms, very poor for these parts.

As for future snow prospects, much of the region could see a shortlived spell of wet snow ahead of the front due to hit us later on Friday, but it will be shortlived and quickly turn to rain resulting in a very quick thaw. I fear for NE parts of the England because all the heavy snow particularly on the hills once it thaws will give rise to major flooding I would imagine. Not good news at all.

I remain hopeful that February will deliver a decent snowfall to the Lake District, and one that lingers. Indeed in the fells February on average is snowier than January and snow often sticks for much longer thanks to quieter days and the emphasis more on cold high pressure - the perfect scenario is a deep low tracking down from the NW with cold uppers embedded within, which at first gives rain but on its back edge brings heavy snow down to low levels before we see heights building over Greenland pulling in an arctic flow to quickly lock the cold in.. and then a very cold dry sunny period of weather aided by blocking both to the north and east. I've enjoyed far more snowy blue sky freezing days in the fells in Feb than December and January and quite a few in March as well.

Posted

Totally cloudy here and the temperature currently at 1.3c

It's likely to be another disappointing night temperature wise.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather of all kinds, natural disasters and catastrophes.

SE cumbria once again very unlucky today, SW Cumbria saw far more snow than here - very unusual indeed. As the front approached the Irish Sea I believe some instability was caused helping to generate some heavy precipitation to SW parts of the county, whilst us and much of SE Cumbria as well as central parts of Cumbria and eastern Cumbria were just too sheltered by the Pennines so once the front hit these parts it had died of day. We have managed a couple of cms though and everything is coated white which is very nice. But so far this winter the highest total of snow we have recorded is a mere 5cms, very poor for these parts.

As for future snow prospects, much of the region could see a shortlived spell of wet snow ahead of the front due to hit us later on Friday, but it will be shortlived and quickly turn to rain resulting in a very quick thaw. I fear for NE parts of the England because all the heavy snow particularly on the hills once it thaws will give rise to major flooding I would imagine. Not good news at all.

I remain hopeful that February will deliver a decent snowfall to the Lake District, and one that lingers. Indeed in the fells February on average is snowier than January and snow often sticks for much longer thanks to quieter days and the emphasis more on cold high pressure - the perfect scenario is a deep low tracking down from the NW with cold uppers embedded within, which at first gives rain but on its back edge brings heavy snow down to low levels before we see heights building over Greenland pulling in an arctic flow to quickly lock the cold in.. and then a very cold dry sunny period of weather aided by blocking both to the north and east. I've enjoyed far more snowy blue sky freezing days in the fells in Feb than December and January and quite a few in March as well.

Great post Damian, here we got 2cm last sun/mon which soon melted (apart from some parts in rural areas) and today we have had about half a cm - dusting.

Dissapointing in this part of the Lakes but your post summed up my thoughts/feelings entirely.

Posted

Totally cloudy here and the temperature currently at 1.3c

It's likely to be another disappointing night temperature wise.

Aye,despite the cloud though it's still pretty icy.temperature is 0.9c.How much snow you got left in your part of manc?

Posted

Aye,despite the cloud though it's still pretty icy.temperature is 0.9c.How much snow you got left in your part of manc?

Patches here and there. I was pleasantly surprised to find some snow still left in my balcony when I returned from work and it should survive now till the end of the cold spell. I just want clear nights now with impressive minimas but it's not happening tonight.

Posted

If the temperature rises to the heights it did today (around 2.7°C) it could be the end of our snow cover tomorrow. I'm quite bored of this spell now, it just isn't really working for us. This morning was brilliant, but by around 2pm it had all become a bit slushy away from paths and grass. Thankfully our road kept a lot of what had fell on it but most other roads and trees had lost their snow cover. I think another period of higher temperatures tomorrow could melt the majority of it.

On Friday, we had a decent amount but by Saturday that had also started to thaw. This cold spell just isn't giving us anything that stays in tact for more than a few hours and the temperatures aren't that low. I'm happy for it to move on now with hopefully a N/NE in a few weeks time which should give us more longevity and lower temperatures. If there isn't another cold spell and this is it for winter 2012/13, at least IMBY it's been much better than 2011/12, which saw no lying snow whatsoever.

Posted

If the temperature rises to the heights it did today (around 2.7°C) it could be the end of our snow cover tomorrow. I'm quite bored of this spell now, it just isn't really working for us. This morning was brilliant, but by around 2pm it had all become a bit slushy away from paths and grass. Thankfully our road kept a lot of what had fell on it but most other roads and trees had lost their snow cover. I think another period of higher temperatures tomorrow could melt the majority of it.

On Friday, we had a decent amount but by Saturday that had also started to thaw. This cold spell just isn't giving us anything that stays in tact for more than a few hours and the temperatures aren't that low. I'm happy for it to move on now with hopefully a N/NE in a few weeks time which should give us more longevity and lower temperatures. If there isn't another cold spell and this is it for winter 2012/13, at least IMBY it's been much better than 2011/12, which saw no lying snow whatsoever.

I concur, though last winter where I am we had an inch or so at the end of the cold snap in feb.All in all for me this winter is about the same-disappointing. Edited by greybing

Posted

I concur, though last winter where I am we had an inch or so at the end of the cold snap in feb.All in all for me this winter is about the same-disappointing.

That day in Feb was so frustrating here. I remember seeing it belting it down with snow in Manchester on TV whereas here just a few miles west in Wigan we had rain and sleet. I also remember my toes nearly falling off from standing in the DW Stadium for 3 hours in that horrible mess! Not a great day overall!

Posted

Those heavy showers forecast in the SW seem to be a lot further north than expected this morning.

Posted

'Only' -2 here this morning, a bit worried about my snow's chances of seeing the day out. We've really struggled to get any sort of low temperatures with this seemingly ever present veil of cloud.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

nice dusting again.pleasant surprise

Posted

Temperature got down to 0.4c last night rising to 1.0c an hour ago, it's currently 0.8c with a slight thaw evident.

Edited by Sceptical Inquirer