Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion 26th January 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the more extreme the better!

Yes..that could potentially bring a further dumping just before rush hour..hope its not sleet as forcast

Posted

Just using the NAE and dewpoints look quite marginal, 1c to 2c, with -2c -3c 850hpa. I reckon high ground in west and south yorkshire (e.g. western side of Sheffield) could see some snow out of it, albeit marginal. Most likely a mixture of snow and sleet, while for lower ground sleet and rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Heavy blowing snowstorm after 1am overnight here, but nothing lying this morning- the showers lost a lot of potency after that.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

2cm around Shef Uni according to people coming in after getting their lunch.

Haven't gone out since I parked up this morning and didn't get wet feet despite wearing trainers. My car is supporting a nice covering of snow though and I cleared it before driving in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: c'mon thunder

That front has come down fairly quickly, looks like snow at the moment, but we shall see!

update?

maybe more intensity for us in SYorks aligned more from the Irish sea/Lancs coast?

Favoring rain or sleet etc. below 400-600ft? Dosnt feel particularly cold to me?

At the minute in Sheffield, dew point is around -1.5 with a temp of +2.1.

Anyone guess at how likely snow is for later on. I live ni S10 (up a hill from the centre) and am wondering whether I shuold be leaving work at normal time rather than wating til 9/9.20pm, (school teacher, should have a parents' evening!). Took me 2.5 hours door to door to get to work in Wakefield today (nearly all of that in Sheff, no snow at all here in WF!).

Any updates appreciated.

Posted

2cm around Shef Uni according to people coming in after getting their lunch.

Haven't gone out since I parked up this morning and didn't get wet feet despite wearing trainers. My car is supporting a nice covering of snow though and I cleared it before driving in.

Its always interesting seeing how the depth changes as you progress from the University towards Crooks and Ranmoor. I can confirm from being there at 10:30 that there was 2-4cm on the ground.

Edited by Mark Bayley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny Days - Snow - Warm, Dry Days, Thunderstorms

I've just noticed two 3-4 inch icicles hanging off the end of next door's shed. I didn't think it was that cold.....

Posted

update?

maybe more intensity for us in SYorks aligned more from the Irish sea/Lancs coast?

Favoring rain or sleet etc. below 400-600ft? Dosnt feel particularly cold to me?

It's snow (at the moment)....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: c'mon thunder

Its always interesting seeing how the depth changes as you progress from the University towards Crooks and Ranmoor. I can confirm from being there at 10:30 that there was 2-4cm on the ground.

We used to go up Redmires through lodge moor a lot and around western bank it was always raining then just on the bend/rise to crosspool it was sleet then all snow once past sandygate,,,,couple of hundred ft makes all the difference,,,

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!

Been snowing now for about 45 minutes and it keeps growing in intensity. Really Blizzard conditions now, medium flakes fast winds lot and lots of snow. Just had to go out in it to check on some animals, and it wasn't at all fun to be facing the direction it was coming from, the first real ear chilling weather yet this winter.

We had only a covering from last night but this will give us a few cm's given it should last another hour at least.

Edited by cowdog

Posted

This shows quite nicely how localised last nights event was (for decent snow accumulations). That band of precipitation pushing south east should be with us soon. Snow, sleet or rain?

post-6181-0-63511300-1360069589_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!

Ok now Major flakes.

Serious warning for anyone to our east (Bradford / Leeds)

You got a major storm coming your way

Posted

Has been snowing heavily in Skipton for a bit now. Occasionally VERY big flakes and very heavy. Pretty wet and not settling quickly on wet surfaces, but how much impact it has really depends how long it takes before it turns to rain...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.

Ok now Major flakes.

Serious warning for anyone to our east (Bradford / Leeds)

You got a major storm coming your way

Excellent news :)