Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion 24/2/13 17z ---->

A.J

Posted

It comes from Bill Byson's 'Notes from a Small Island'. Highly recommended and I suspect his sense of humour may be right up your street !!

http://www.goodreads...-a-small-island

BB

I love this book. Have read it many times over. AS you surprise me, I thought you was Bill Bryson. :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Netweather, haaaaaappy birthday to you!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Hmmmmmm, Quite in here, In fact all over really. I wont let on where the next bit comes from as you will probably guess. Nice thought though.

Cold end to winter + winter set to continue into spring + snow risk dates

The end of the meteorological winter (end of February) and into the start of spring (start of March) is likely to see a continuation of winter conditions in terms of cold and snow episodes for the UK. It will also be particularly dry for this part of the forecasting period, but not in terms of precipitation as snowfall. There is also a risk that some major snow events will develop throughout this part of the forecasting period, but especially more so throughout the period of the 1st - 7th March.

This may then be preceded by a brief period of milder temperatures and wetter weather, especially across the southern half of the country. However, it is then likely to turn exceptionally cold for the time of the year once again. This is likely to lead to the development of some quite severe frosts and further snow events for a large portion of the remainder of the month, but especially more so throughout the period of the 16th - 24th March. There will also be some very strong winds at times, heightening the risk of some developing blizzards under the right conditions. It is therefore, plausible that March could turn out to be one of the snowiest that we have experienced for quite some time. There may also be the potential risk of it becoming one of the snowiest March periods on record, and it will be exceptionally cold at times too. However, one or two periods of brief moderation and milder temperatures still can't be ruled out throughout the start and later part of this forecasting period.

Have you guessed.?

Oh Happy Birthday Net weather.

Edited by Jason T

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot and sunny, freezing cold and snowy!!

A cold,grey,drizzly day......not nice at all.......Hope tomorrow goes ok JP. x ............"Happy 10th Birthday Netweather"........!!

Posted

I love this book. Have read it many times over. AS you surprise me, I thought you was Bill Bryson. blum.gif

Having found this quote about Mr Bryson on the Random House website:

"With his signature wit, charm, and seemingly limitless knowledge, Bill Bryson takes us on a room-by-room tour through his own house....."

I will take that, CM, thanks!!

There were other quotes though: "With his trademark gibbering nonsense, inability to use a spell chucker, and clearly limited knowledge of quotes from one of the most celebrated travel writers of modern times, AS is these days to be found languishing on a weather website checking his own posts to see if anyone has 'liked' them".

A bit upsetting but I'm all for free speech!

AS

Edited by abruzzi spur

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Why couldn't that thing coming from belguim and the netherlands have come when it could have been snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

Good evening all. Well what a non descript boring day of weather today. Feels cold outside now, and very damp.

Had some good news today. My son finally got his place in the infant school we originally wanted after a 6 month wait. He starts on Monday, and is really excited, but sad he will be moving school and leaving his old friends behind.

Just want to echo what others have said: all the best to you John P and your family for tomorrow. Funerals are never nice, but I hope it can pass as good as possible.

AND a BIG happy birthday to Netweather. This website is class. The best I've ever been on.

Laters Guys and Girls have a good evening.

Edited by LeighD

Posted

Why couldn't that thing coming from belguim and the netherlands have come when it could have been snow.

Always the same unfortunately. Flaming problem with living on an island :-D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep snow, thunderstorms, heatwaves

Hmmmmmm, Quite in here, In fact all over really. I wont let on where the next bit comes from as you will probably guess. Nice thought though.

Cold end to winter + winter set to continue into spring + snow risk dates

The end of the meteorological winter (end of February) and into the start of spring (start of March) is likely to see a continuation of winter conditions in terms of cold and snow episodes for the UK. It will also be particularly dry for this part of the forecasting period, but not in terms of precipitation as snowfall. There is also a risk that some major snow events will develop throughout this part of the forecasting period, but especially more so throughout the period of the 1st - 7th March.

This may then be preceded by a brief period of milder temperatures and wetter weather, especially across the southern half of the country. However, it is then likely to turn exceptionally cold for the time of the year once again. This is likely to lead to the development of some quite severe frosts and further snow events for a large portion of the remainder of the month, but especially more so throughout the period of the 16th - 24th March. There will also be some very strong winds at times, heightening the risk of some developing blizzards under the right conditions. It is therefore, plausible that March could turn out to be one of the snowiest that we have experienced for quite some time. There may also be the potential risk of it becoming one of the snowiest March periods on record, and it will be exceptionally cold at times too. However, one or two periods of brief moderation and milder temperatures still can't be ruled out throughout the start and later part of this forecasting period.

Have you guessed.?

Oh Happy Birthday Net weather.

Piers Corbyn?

Posted

Piers Corbyn?

No, Close. Erm --------first clue is (Sun)

Posted

Piers Corbyn?

I thought that was you forecasting that mate. :-D. Only kidding.... Sounds like a Corbyn spectacular out of this world forecast. When will the guy ever learn.

Posted

Happy birthday netweather!

Nice post put up by Paul on the homepage.

http://forum.netweat...s-10-years-old/

What a great story.

Posted

12_UKMet_H500_PSL_96_144.gif?31415

ukmo raw chart

take any forecast after the 4th with a pinch of salt

we are slap bang inbetween very cold air to our east-north east

and atlantic driven weather

now if either of them are weaker than shown it could go either way

got a feeling the atlantic may be being overcooked here

nao.png

if the above graph is correct i would expect things to be further south and west

than currently modelled

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/alerts/warnings_timeline.html

no solar activity for about 7 days now and counting

would also keep the jet quiet

will post the fax charts later but from what i have seen they are very boring

same as today springs to mind sad.png

i will soon start looking for spring charts but none in sight in my eyes at present

again thankyou all for your kind words

also happy birthday net weather

drinks.gifdrinks.gifdrinks.gifdrinks.gifdrinks.gifdrinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

My thoughts will be with you tomorrow John, and thanks for all the updates

Posted

thankyou dubmuffin

at some stage we will start looking for storms

could you imagine this

Hailstorm in USA on Monday, 25 February, 2013 at 19:59 (07:59 PM) UTC.

Severe storms that moved across portions of Southeast Louisiana produced significant hail across parts of the area Sunday night. The National Weather Service (NWS) said they received numerous reports of hail, some ranging from quarter up to tennis ball-size, as severe storms moved across the New Orleans metro area between 7 p.m. Sunday and 1 a.m. Monday. Jefferson Parish was the hardest hit with numerous reports of large hail of ping pong (1.50" in diameter) to tennis ball-size (2.50" in diameter). Terrebonne and St. James parishes also reported large hail up to golfball-size. The New Orleans area reported quarter-size hail in some areas with the hail covering the ground. The hail storms were associated with a northward moving warm front with the storms elevated and occurring within an environment with weak instability and very cold temperatures aloft. This warm front is expected to lift north into central Mississippi by Monday afternoon, leading to a more significant threat for severe storms across the region including tornadoes, damage winds and hail as a cold front approaches.í

http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/site/?pageid=event_desc&edis_id=HS-20130225-38316-USA

ohmy.png

i bet car body shops will be busy there

Posted

JP, thoughts with you tomorrow in particular. Everyone is different but my experience (my mother) is that I dreaded the day but it was actually alright and the conversation and memories that everyone shared just afterwards was quite something - we can be quite a repressed bunch in GB but on days like that there is an openess and warmth and rawness that actually shows us what we are mostly all like underneath the various facades. I remember the gravedigger at the woodlands cemetery coming up to me after the internment but before the wake and saying in a proper West Country accent 'tried the pork?'. Coz he was proud of what they offered family and guests to eat and wanted to make sure we didn't miss out. And, best of all, he was right! Things like that, which seem odd and small on the day, stay with you and make you smile in the darker moments. I still say to the family 'ashes to ashes, dust to dust... tried the pork?'!!

AS

Edited by abruzzi spur

Posted

No, Close. Erm --------first clue is (Sun)

Ok Second clue .? (- - - - - and the Giant peach) The name should give it away.

Posted

thanks AS

Its a pleasure to talk to like minded and really decent people

Seeing all the family tomorrow will be hard but hopefully

after the funeral i will be able to look forward and remember all the good times

we had together

i may not post tomorrow night but will be back soon

again

thankyou all

Posted

thanks AS

Its a pleasure to talk to like minded and really decent people

Seeing all the family tomorrow will be hard but hopefully

after the funeral i will be able to look forward and remember all the good times

we had together

i may not post tomorrow night but will be back soon

again

thankyou all

Take all the time you need JP. God Bless mate.

Posted

Hi John I hope you are ok,make sure you wrap up warm tomorrow,you tend to feel cold no matter what the weather.I don't think anyone on here will be expecting any post's from you tomorrow so please don't (unless you feel it helps),make the most of the wake as its a time when people start telling stories most of which you have heard but some which you have not and it is these that give you a little lift.They almost always are raise a smile and lift the mood.

Best Wishes

Chris

sorry just seen above post...

Edited by blackprince

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

Sometimes it is the most sad and tragic of occasions that can create moments that bring a smile to you face and memories to treasure.

Posted

Scratches head , sods law dictates , we get the NE winds we crave for in Winter (all week in this area) yet the 850mb temps are too warm for snow , also not how much precip' falls out the sky , now it has warmed up .....incredible