Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion 17th March 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Can anyone shed any light on why the flakes are so small, there's millions of them but they're tiny, is it to do with the precipitation not being heavy enough?

The moist air hasn't travelled far North and East enough yet, dry continental influence usually produces powder, as the front progresses it will get more moist, of course there is usually more marginality associated then though, although i don't think thats the issue here, the issue here is whether we get enough eastward progression.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

Okay I've just had a good look out and there's actually a light dusting on rooftops etc right now, don't know how I missed that. The snow is definitely still very light though

Posted

Okay I've just had a good look out and there's actually a light dusting on rooftops etc right now, don't know how I missed that. The snow is definitely still very light though

its not that its light, its just tiny flakes giving the illusion its light. I have the same thing here, and everything was wet, but starting to stick to everything now, but not much accumulation yet though, but i can tell you its heavy. That dusting has just occured.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Wow chucking it down with snow now and beginning to readily stick. Temp is falling quickly now 0.5°C. Here we go!!

Posted

its not that its light, its just tiny flakes giving the illusion its light. I have the same thing here, and everything was wet, but starting to stick to everything now, but not much accumulation yet though, but i can tell you its heavy. That dusting has just occured.

Yes, PPN intensity is defined by how much falls in a given period, and even small flakes can accumulate quickly.

Posted

How is there nothing here?

Its not guaranteed to batter us, cheshire and West and South of region, its going to be a close run thing for me, i still think we will get something but not sure about these huge totals progged for other parts of region reaching us but lets hold fire because it was never progged to reach me until 2 o'clock, it looked at one stage as though it was making quicker progress though.

Posted

It will arrive trust me. There is still a North and east progression but it has just slowed somewhat, you'll be fine mate.

Thanks for reassuring me, I was starting to panic

Posted

It is really coming down now, the roads have a dusting, the pavement and roofs. Can see the flakes getting a little bigger too, non of this wet stuff

Posted

Temp is -1.1'c in Buxton, add on the 30mph gusts and its a windchill of -8'c. This will inevitably result in the buildup of ice along exposed tops aswell as any exposed cables so I can see how the beeb are concerned about parts of the grid in local areas shutting down.

Posted

what with practice 1+2 on sky sports F1 Hd and now the snow here..bliss lol

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

Looking at the radar that "shadow effect" seems to be diminishing over Stockport/Cheadle.....having said that it's still dry as a bone here

Posted

Officially, the National Weather Service defines a blizzard as a severe snowstorm characterized by strong winds causing blowing snow that results in low visibilities. The difference between a blizzard and a snowstorm is the strength of the wind, not the amount of snow. To be a blizzard, a snow storm must have sustained winds or frequent gusts that are greater than or equal to 56 km/h (35 mph) with blowing or drifting snow which reduces visibility to 400 meters or a quarter mile or less and must last for a prolonged period of time — typically three hours or more.

what people are in fact reporting is a snowstorm rather than a blizzard :p

Posted

flakes are getting a bit bigger, winds are really starting to pick up here. Car is completely white, roads are white, rooftops white, pavements have been gritted about 1 hour ago with salt, so im not using them as a point of reference since snow is unlikely to stick to it.

The front looks like its stalled... cloud and snow moving north eastwards, but the front looks completely stationary

Edited by HotCuppa