Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional Discussion 20/03/13 22z ---->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

wow that ecm looks cold into next week -10 uppers 4 days in a row only up to 120 hours at the min

Certainly does. I will be very disappointed if we avoid the snow this time. Just been out topping the windscreen wash out on the cars. Its bitter out there and the wind is starting to get up. Temp 2c with some light snow grains.

Posted

So itv local and met say snow tomorrow and saturday but bbc national says none at all here. Anyone got a clue

it's coming but nothing to be afraid of lol.

windchill is the one i'm looking at,still got enough snow on the ground as it is.

Posted

I got to say, despite the cold set ups during this March, I can't recall much in the way of a meaningful covering of snow on the ground this month, its just been dry whenever the cold comes and for this region, this trend looks like continuing unfortunately. Even further afield, the outlook looks dry for our region with a stable easterly flow which may turn a little more convective as we go through the week but none of this is a gurantee yet.

The persistent cold this month is impressive but in terms of snowfall for our region, its hardly living in the memory really, sort of like the winter really with most events coming from frontal stuff rather convective snowfall.

Posted

I got to say, despite the cold set ups during this March, I can't recall much in the way of a meaningful covering of snow on the ground this month, its just been dry whenever the cold comes and for this region, this trend looks like continuing unfortunately. Even further afield, the outlook looks dry for our region with a stable easterly flow which may turn a little more convective as we go through the week but none of this is a gurantee yet.

The persistent cold this month is impressive but in terms of snowfall for our region, its hardly living in the memory really, sort of like the winter really with most events coming from frontal stuff rather convective snowfall.

I agree with your view regarding the winter so far, but I believe there is a very good chance of a decent snowfall with the current synoptics.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Certainly does. I will be very disappointed if we avoid the snow this time. Just been out topping the windscreen wash out on the cars. Its bitter out there and the wind is starting to get up. Temp 2c with some light snow grains.

yeah same here just walked home from work, 1.6c here and a few snow grains blowing about, thats 1 large amount of ppn on the radar down south

Posted

Are there ANY models or suggestions that this front might actually deliver here, by the way?

Posted

Oh well, according to the BBC forecasts this evening, anyone living a few miles North of Durham, or less than 20 miles from the coast, can put away their snow shovels this weekend. Of course this could all change, it wouldn't take much of a shift to give us all a good few cms. Fingers crossed for a good old whiteout.

Also, @Geordie Snow, I agree with you wholeheartedly ref lack of snow this winter, but put it in context. It is all relative really. Although we haven't generally had any accumulated large totals (except for the obvious locations), I can't remember a winter with so many snow-fall days (granted not all with lying snow), so at least it has been a fascinating watch. Here in Ryton last winter, we had zero snowfall after Boxing Day !!

Cheers,

Karl

Reason for edit - spelling mistake lol

Edited by snowmackem

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The radar shows the remarkable difference in temperatures across the country 10c in Cornwall, 0c in the SE and 2C here in the NE

radar.png

Edited by Gavin.

Posted

had lying snow since January up here,that goes into something memorable in my book.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Are there ANY models or suggestions that this front might actually deliver here, by the way?

isnt this the first front thats meant to fizzle out and its the 2nd one that could deliver

Posted

isnt this the first front thats meant to fizzle out and its the 2nd one that could deliver

Yeah 2nd front is the one which is likely to deliver here the first will just stall over the areas already discussed

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in the winter. Warmth in the summer

had lying snow since January up here,that goes into something memorable in my book.

Exactly. .not snow starved up here. Infact it's nice to go to the lower levels for a bit greenery.

Posted

Had snow cover here for about 70% of the time since december I'd say so can't complain

Posted

Drove through Tow Law this afternoon and the snow is lying deep and crisp and even.

I think you are expecting too much for low ground near the North sea. A read of any climatology description for our area will point you to what you should expect. This winter has FAR exceeded standard fare.

Posted

I dont think my expectations are too high, granted we have had a lot of cold days but many of them have been cold but dry cloudy days with a stable easterly flow.

Admittedly, we had quite a few days with snow falling but I just feel alot of the events have been marginal therefore snowcover in most events never lasted all that long hence they probably won't live long in the memory unfortunately.

I must admit IF we do get snowfall from this front, then it could stick around for a while with the cold set ups being projected, especially on higher ground.

Posted

The latest NAE remains poor for this region compared to further south

Around only 4mm of rain by Saturday morning

13032312_2118.gif

And not much more by 18:00

13032318_2118.gif

This forecast for Darlo is starting to look fairly accurate - http://www.metoffice...Time=1363910400 & http://www.metoffice...Time=1363996800

Edited by Gavin.

Posted

For those east of high ground - even if the front did reach us, I doubt it would deliver any significant ppn. I can count the number of times that has happened on one hand since I can remember. Our best chance would be from convective ppn from the East, like late January.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

Some very heavy graupel/snow showers in the past hour or so in an impressive strong wind.

Posted

Let's face it guys, this looks like being a once in a generation event (1 to 2 feet in parts of the mids/NW/N Wales/NI/SW Scot), as well as 10cms for most of the rest of England, and we're going to be one of the few regions that miss out. Pretty galling TBH.

Edited by NickR

Posted

Someone from the Yorkshire thread has just said that the second front is well into NE Eng according to the latest BBC forecast

I'll look on iplayer, but maybe they think of the NE differently from us. For me it's Durham and Northumberland. And that's it. Middlesborough is stretching it TBH. ;)

Posted

I'll look on iplayer, but maybe they think of the NE differently from us. For me it's Durham and Northumberland. And that's it. Middlesborough is stretching it TBH. ;)

Well Middlesbrough is in North Yorkshire anyway :p

Posted

Well Middlesbrough is in North Yorkshire anyway blum.gif

Exactly... doesn't count as the NE. ;)

Looked...as you were... graphics just reflect that we'll get the dregs. Nothing doing, major event will pass us by. Get ready for half a metre of snow pics from the NW, Mids, Wales, and NI guys!

Posted

Exactly... doesn't count as the NE. ;)

Looked...as you were... graphics just reflect that we'll get the dregs. Nothing doing, major event will pass us by. Get ready for half a metre of snow pics from the NW, Mids, Wales, and NI guys!

What did the forecast show for Saturday?