Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion 20/03/13 22z ------>

A.J

Posted

To me it looks like the entire system is decaying. Its stopped here in Rotherham, cant see much more coming out of this.

Posted

To me it looks like the entire system is decaying. Its stopped here in Rotherham, cant see much more coming out of this.

Patience there, as it starts to pivot yet narrow you could be in for a decent amount more esp on the west side.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think I'm going to need the heavier precipitation to come over during the early hours of the morning as the colder air digs in, though the GFS 00Z does hint at this happening from 3-6am. I've just had a spell of moderate snow but it only dropped the temperature to 1.3C and none of it settled.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Definitely gotten worse here, flakes are still smallish but there's a lot more of them and the visibility has fallen a lot.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heat and cold, storms and blizzards...zonal a no no

you lot clapping.gif stop loooking south west ........ look instead south east on the radars... see the front has pushed up over norfolk in a line from northern ireland..and well into the north sea.its pivoting now , this i reckon it where the snow is comming from tonight.... scroll back on your radars if you can .check out the energy being fed back into the uk courtesy of an easterly wind ..... SMILE help.gif

Posted

i dont really know so can you get great snowfalls at lower levels this late in march?

Posted
  • Location: Penistone. S Yorks. Foothills of the southern Pennines. 238m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.
  • Location: Penistone. S Yorks. Foothills of the southern Pennines. 238m ASL

Its very light snow here now, the lightest its been in 23hrs of constant snowfall.

The fronts really changing shape now, will be interesting to see how the pivot pans out.

Spoke too soon, the snows picked up again and the wind with it. Still --1.0C

Edited by Machu Picchu

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Snow being pretty much horizontal all night and roads covered.God i love Leeds.

My parents took a photo of the garden and there's a good 10cm, i'll post it here later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

At long last it's starting to lie here- goodnight all, see what I wake up to tomorrow morning!

i dont really know so can you get great snowfalls at lower levels this late in march?

Yes, it happened widely in the south in late-March 1952, and I recall that the 28th March 1995 had some pretty serious snowfalls in parts of Yorkshire and Lancashire early in the day including a rare three-inch fall in Lancaster.

On rare occasions it's been known even later in the season, e.g. the exceptional cold snap in late-April 1981 when some low-lying parts of the country got some substantial accumulations of wet snow. Significant accumulations of snow penetrated to relatively low levels in early April last year and to near sea level in some regions on the 6th April 2008, though these were short-lived.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Visibility is poor here, although it must be the beers as there's no snow falling.

Ooops just looked outside snow is fallingblush.png

Edited by vizzy2004

Posted

At long last it's starting to lie here- goodnight all, see what I wake up to tomorrow morning!

Yes, it happened widely in the south in late-March 1952, and I recall that the 28th March 1995 had some pretty serious snowfalls in parts of Yorkshire and Lancashire early in the day including a rare three-inch fall in Lancaster.

On rare occasions it's been known even later in the season, e.g. the exceptional cold snap in late-April 1981 when some low-lying parts of the country got some substantial accumulations of wet snow. Significant accumulations of snow penetrated to relatively low levels in early April last year and to near sea level in some regions on the 6th April 2008, though these were short-lived.

cheers tws i do remember a snowfall around 2008 that was really heavy that i think was in march and it piled up but by the time i got up around 1pm(been out drinking all night) it was gone

Posted

We got lying snow in October last year and i am at sea level was quite expectional considering the year before we had an heatwave. Back on to March i remember the easter snowfall of 2008 had about three or four inches here was all gone by two o clock though. Had some lying snow in April 2008 to. That came off an dreadful winter one of the mildest on record i believe? How times have changed.

Posted

Getting quite windy at times - just went outside, a lot of drifting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Blizzard conditions here, gale force and maybe 1 or 2 cms on the ground. Flakes on the smallish side though would love it to thicken up somewhat!

Posted

Off to bed now, temps are dropping across Leeds and some much heavier stuff is pushing in. I'll be up super early no doubt so hoping to wake up to some mega snowfall.

Posted

Not expecting anything here :) Watching the radar theres been a lovely circle around my town for the past 6 hours or so, everytime precipitation aproaches it dies off as it reaches me and rebuilds after its passed :p

Posted

After 6hrs of light n continous snowfall we now have 100% cover, currently moderate snow that is blowing horizontally in the stiff easterly wind.

Posted

Wow, suddenly very windy with snow being blown off my garden and off the roads and into the air. If only the snow was heavier.

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.. Heavy snow.

Latest BBC forecast says no pivot, just dying out tomorrow morning. Got about 5 inch of snow so not all bad.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Got at least a good foot probably more, dare I say it but better that 2010!!!!!

Posted

Morning all, not sure how much snow is out there but i would say going on for a foot...a lot of snow and the whole side of my house is blathered with snow....the drifts look unbelievable, pics to follow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the more extreme the better!

Good lord.. Drifts everywhere