Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion 23/03/13 08z ----->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

The only people calling for spring are the people who have had no snow.. sour grapes? lol

Edited by Aaron

Posted

The only people calling for spring are the people who have had no snow.. sour grapes? lol

Not really, I've seen plenty of snow. Just ready for spring now if we aren't going to see any more real accumulations.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

A day that promised much with a few beefy Snow showers early doors ended in a whimper. The thaw continues and despite large patches of clear pavement we've still got numphties walking down the road with kids and prams.

Posted

Quite heavy showers here, it dropped to the day's minimum of -0.6C during one at about 2:45pm

Still thawing between but very slowly.

Posted
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL

there is a weird orange ball in the sky at the moment, never seen it before, scary

Posted

p.jpg

Still plenty of snow on the hills in the peak district!

Lovely snow shower in distance :)

Posted

Well definately sour grapes from me. Thursday the 14th March was the last time I saw any decent snowcover (Or sun!). Since then the wind has been Easterly and at times bone chilling with continuous stratus laden skies! However despite the wind direction and origin of air we've had hardly any laying snow this time round. It has however pretty much continually snowed for the last three days it's just been a continuous flurry! We've had the occasional sugar coating but with temps slightly above freezing it doesn't last long.

We did however do tonnes better here in January when most of the West of the region missed out so all's fair i suppose ;)

Interestingly as i type the snow has picked up... another temporary dusting on the way.

Posted

Its certainly not been a great spell here either. Pretty uniform temperatures with the odd very light flurry, little sunshine and no snowcover.

Temps for the last three days are very similar:

22nd: 3.1C / 1.8C

23rd: 2.3C / 0.0C

24th: 3.9C / 0.2C

25th: 4.1C / 1.4C

26th: 4.1C / 1.3C

27th: 4.0C / 1.3C

Not exactly exciting! At least we'll get a record cold March though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Heat thundersnow heatwaves and freezing fog

I'm calling for spring coz its been a long cold winter and im looking at things warming up now i seen my fair share of snow this winter cold dry easterlys aint my thing u cant beat a nice walk on the beach on a cool evening after a hot day :)

Posted

Its certainly not been a great spell here either. Pretty uniform temperatures with the odd very light flurry, little sunshine and no snowcover.

Amazing what an few miles can do your not far from me and we have done ok snow started early hours of Saturday till about 10 in the morning nothing major and probably only an inch or two the rest of Saturday remained bitterly cold with barely any thaw. Melted all on Sunday though once the sun came out and since then we have had constant light snow/graupel showers not amounting to much but snowed moderately in the early hours of this morning given us another good covering again melted very quickly this morning though and since then just snow showers on and off throughout the day again not laying but if we get some tonight might get another covering.

Posted

A fairly large difference here, though I guess it's to be expected.

22nd: -1C / -2C

23rd: -2C / -3C

24th: 0C / -3C

25th: 0C / -2C

26th: 0c / -2c

27th: -1 / -2

Not got much above freezing if at all since the 22nd. That's 9 ice days in total including those from the previous spell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

Reefs stats are almost identical to ours.

If you've got it then I'm chuffed for you but day after day of bone chilling winds and grey stratus would, I suggest try the patience of most on here.

Posted

Ours is easy.

22nd: 1C/ 0C

23rd: 1C/ 1C

24th: 1C/ 1C

25th: 2C / 0C

26th: 2C / 1C

27th: 1C / ? My bets are with 1C!

The real lack of variation in temp here is due to the extent of cloud cover. Even with the showers we've just had stratus cloud in between with darkening skies the only clue that a heavier burst is imminent.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

radars looking good for quite widespread snow showers for the next couple of hours atleast, althought it's being snowing all day here and barely any is sticking. Anyone hazard a guess as to why?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the more extreme the better!

Still a fair amount left up here. Thank god school is over for Easter tomorrow because the pavement snow mountains created by the drive clearing numptys will take forever to melt. Worst thing is the roads are gritted and traffic is flowing as normal yet walking on the pavement is like a Swiss mountain hike..grumble grumble..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Yes it has been a frustrating last few weeks for those in eastern areas. That's one way to look at it or you could think it could be worse, mild windy and wet is my pet hate weather so a few flurrys giving me temporary coverings and a bitter wind has at least kept me interested. It really has felt like a long winter, from seeing my first snow at the end of October last year to it snowing currently now. That's over 5 months of on and off snow. Time to crack open a beer and celebrate what for me has been a great action packed winter. Cheers!

Posted

Yes it has been a frustrating last few weeks for those in eastern areas. That's one way to look at it or you could think it could be worse, mild windy and wet is my pet hate weather so a few flurrys giving me temporary coverings and a bitter wind has at least kept me interested. It really has felt like a long winter, from seeing my first snow at the end of October last year to it snowing currently now. That's over 5 months of on and off snow. Time to crack open a beer and celebrate what for me has been a great action packed winter. Cheers!

Thoroughly agree.

We must be looking at 40 - 50 days of falling snow and 40 days ish of lying snow. In my books decent winter!

PS Decent snow shower outside again now. As HC said colder overnight temps will promote temporary cover till morning.

Off to hills tomorrow armed with camera. Got 4 ft drifts here so looking forward to some beltersbiggrin.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

the coldest cet for march is 2.6[i think] yet the met office for bradford gives 1.75 for 1947, i reckon many of our hilltops would have recorded subzero that year....amazing

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot sunny weather.
Posted · Hidden by reef, March 27, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by reef, March 27, 2013 - No reason given

We don't want spring boring rain weather. We need cold and snow! If your proper snow lovers you Dnt ask for spring. Get it right

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and North Easterley flows, Early spring convection snow showers

Seems to be a never ending winter, snow flurries again today and whilst i love cold weather and snow even my resolve is dwindling, 3 degrees here today no snow cover ashen grey skies and watching the showers of substance float by further North, i think its been an interesting winter but lacked any true excitement for around here no decent falls of snow really nor extremes of temperature merely chilly, but better than mild muck. Good to see at least some of you guys doing well though, always been N Yorks or Western Yorks this year for the best excitement this season, always the fringes for us lot tho but hey 6-7 mths and back to the hunt again good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

Thoroughly agree.

We must be looking at 40 - 50 days of falling snow and 40 days ish of lying snow. In my books decent winter!

PS Decent snow shower outside again now. As HC said colder overnight temps will promote temporary cover till morning.

Off to hills tomorrow armed with camera. Got 4 ft drifts here so looking forward to some beltersbiggrin.png

I think it was about 12 years ago when I counted just 1 Snow day in Jan when it settled but had all melted by afternoon and then a couple of days in March when we had some heavy Snow showers but only gave temporary accumulations and that's all we had all winter.

We had a similar winter in 89-90 too.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

To say that we had a second half to January that averaged something like -1.5C and now the coldest March in 51 years the lack of truly cold minima is astounding, i doubt we've been below -10C this winter.

Posted

Im glad its not been that low due to the fact there woulve been more deaths especially older age because of the fact people simply cant afford to heat themselves.