Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion 23/03/13 08z ------->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

I think it would be amazing if this year our change of season adopted a more continental approach in that there is a dramatic switch from cold to warm rather than the steady rise in temperature during the Spring. Many continental climates go from very cold conditions to warm conditions very quickly and Spring and Autumn are very short affairs in these places. Maybe we will see something along those lines this year?

Posted

I must admit after this weekends snow, Im happy if thats it now for winter. The thought of the gas & electricity companies rubbing their hands in glee at this extended cold spell does not make me happy, many people nowadays can't afford to have their heating on in Jan/Feb without needing it on at the end of March & April as well

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, fog and ice!

GFS keep it below average all the way until 384hrs! I think we could see some snow showers between Tuesday and Thursday here in the Midlands but obviously not amounting to much. In fact the Met Office have just put out a warning for the North East and Yorkshire regarding this :)

Posted

I must admit after this weekends snow, Im happy if thats it now for winter. The thought of the gas & electricity companies rubbing their hands in glee at this extended cold spell does not make me happy, many people nowadays can't afford to have their heating on in Jan/Feb without needing it on at the end of March & April as well

Since the UK has barely any gas (1.4 days supply!), if the cold continues we'll be on rationing (gas and of course, electricity)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstoms cant remember what one is tho!

The snow may be nice but its no fun when you have to walk 3 miles to work in it! A 55min walk took me 1hr 45 this morning!

Posted

MAin roads and even side roads around Redditch are fine.

Sorry to ask , but BBC / MO is showing snow for us Friday evening .

Does that mean winter still isnt over yet sorry.gif

"Fraid so Mr Benn. It looks like we may get some snow next weekend, but this, as ever is FAR from certain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Any chance if snow showers this week across the east midlands!!uppers if -10 practically all week surely something most develop?

There's always a chance!!!! with the north having showers tues into weds if theres a slight shift in wind direction

from an easterly to a northeasterly that will push them down into our path of the woods,but looking at things its going to be the north

of the midlands that will catch them, but one to watch!!!!!!.

Posted
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl

In the sedgley area, this has been the best snowfall since Feb 96 or Mar 95........95% it all fell as snow which helped the totals. Even now there is a good 18-20cms on my driveway, more where it has drifted and it most of it looks to be around until the end of the week. Possibly with more snow at the weekend, this could be a historic cold spell especially for March. Very cold temps for March too.

Travelling up the peaks yesterday topped it all off. Driving along the A515 and A6 with ten foot drifts at the sides of the roads with a JCB in front!

Posted

Still only 1 degrees here in south leicester with a dewpoint of -5!!absolutely frigid even though the suns out now and again!!no thaw today of whatever snow that has remained!!icicles have not melted at all today aswell around my area!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

A few pics from the Staffs Moorlands...I went in the hunt of a decent snowdrift. Totals in places were small...but then where drifting occured it was at least 7ft high. Impressive job of keeping the roads clear.

20130324_175023.jpg

20130324_175009.jpg

20130324_175019.jpg

Here is the more conservative total at mine...though this is the deepest we've had it...exceeding Jan particulary on the side of the garden where it was drifting. The wind has been relentless for days now and is still blowing raw.

20130323_075347.jpg

Overall very impressive...roads are clearing now but the totals in the Peaks are epic. Managed to drive as far as the Leek to Buxton road before it warned of a closure. A few 4x4's drove past the warnings.

Posted

"Fraid so Mr Benn. It looks like we may get some snow next weekend, but this, as ever is FAR from certain.

Some of my family are planning a trip to Drayton Manor on Thursday.

Were not buying the tickets online till as late as possible.

Hope there is no chance of snow for them

Posted
There's always a chance!!!! with the north having showers tues into weds if theres a slight shift in wind direction

from an easterly to a northeasterly that will push them down into our path of the woods,but looking at things its going to be the north of the midlands that will catch them, but one to watch!!!!!!.

Yep, in my experience snow events can crop up at very short notice in this type of scenario.

As the old saying goes: "Get the cold in place first........."

The end of this week still looks interesting, although I have a slight suspicion it may end up sliding to our south - would love to be proven wrong. The models probably won't start firming up on Friday until tomorrow evening onwards.

Bish

Posted

Some of my family are planning a trip to Drayton Manor on Thursday.

Were not buying the tickets online till as late as possible.

Hope there is no chance of snow for them

When you say, "some of my family are off to D' manor", does that mean your not brave it yourself then!!!!!cold.gifcold.gifcold.gif

I would'nt blame ya if you said "" NO CHANCE "".

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Posted

www.buxtonweather.co.uk seems to indicate that things are still difficult. I thought living very close to the A515 and coming back three days after the snowfall would make life easier, but seemingly not!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Some thawing going on here, temp was no higher than -1.8oC yesterday, but today it's up to 2.0oC. Every so often a loud crash as ice falls off the roof. Much windier today and this morning a lot of ice lying. Still got around 6 inches of snow lying about.

Posted

Just been down my local park OMG its bitter, that wind goes through ya like you would'nt believe,

Still plenty of snow around but thawing as current temps here are 1.3 degrees.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Looks like much of the snow has thawed in Coventry, did well to stick for 3 days though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

I think the fact that we have such low temperatures at the moment which would be considered very cold even in midwinter just shows how unusual the current conditions are. Snow at this time of year is not so much of a surprise as it oftens snow in March and April. However to see it remain on the ground for days rather than hours is really astonishing especially so late in March. This has been the most consistently cold winter we have had for many many years I think. I cannot think of the last winter when snow was reported to be lying on the ground for more than one day in every one of the winter months before in this area anyway.

Posted

That wind is absolutely howling at the moment.

Only a partial thaw so far here in the middle of Solihull. Temps have been hovering a couple of degrees or so above freezing all day, bar when we have had the occasional, fleeting burst of late-March sunshine.

Bish

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

hi peeps. So r we in for a repete showdown at the end of the week? All main roads r clear here sideroads and untreted pavements r like icering the sun came out but didn't make much different.

Posted

I've never felt so cold in late march as I have in the wind today , breathtakingly cold! As others have commented amazing to see lying snow!

Posted

Max of just 2c today with not as much thawing as I expected, felt absolutely raw in that wind, charts are horrendous for next week, slate grey skies and no sign of any 10c+ days, im glad of the bitter cold till the end of month as it will ensure an exceptional CET but would be nice to get at least one garden day next week for my week off! ill even sit out in 8 degrees if its sunny :lol:

Edited by conor123