Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Chase Day 12 Discussion - Moderate Risk (OK/KS/MO/IL)

nsrobins

Posted
Posted · Hidden by Dorsetbred, May 21, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Dorsetbred, May 21, 2013 - No reason given

91 dead and its expected to rise. Heartbreaking

BBC is reporting 91, US web sites still reporting 51 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy...

It is certainly shocking isn't it. I am booked on tour 4 and it is a very sobering and scary thought that I will be there in 9 days. I have a huge mix of feelings right now... firstly shock, horror and sorrow for those affected. I would never wish this or anything like it on anyone. Yet the scientist in me is conflicting those feelings because I want to see and experience this awesome natural phenomena and I know that me being there won't make a jot of difference.

I have to say that if I were totally honest... I am not particularly looking forward to going now. When I booked the chase holiday I hadn't really figured on it being like this. Of course, I know these storms are dangerous and that they can kill but when it actually happens it puts everything in a totally different perspective.

Hi Paul, I'm currently on T3 and will also be on T4 . I have to admit after today I actually questioned whether I'd want to spend the next couple of weeks out here chasing. At the end of the day we know the risks and sadly today was the worst case scenario.

But what we see out here is a spectacular experience you can't get anywhere else and I couldn't give that up despite hearing todays exceptional events unfold over the radio.

Edited by duckeyh

Posted

Really shocking news everywhere this morning and a salutary reminder of the power of nature and it's sometimes devastating effects.

This was particularly sad:

Posted

Just to re-iterate for those just logging on this morning, the team are fine, but everyone is obviously shocked and devastated at what's happened in OK overnight..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=24f_1369106332

I can't begin to understand what these people are feeling when they open the shelter door after this passed over them

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b9d_1369098943

Edited by SalopWatcher

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Strange how the UK news outlets are reporting 91 dead whilst all the US outlets are reporting 51 dead. Though the Guardian is going wih 51 too. Terrible news nevertheless, how unlucky can that south side of OK City be to see another F5 tornado follow a similar path 14 years on from the one that ripped through Moore on May 3rd 1999.

Looks like DFW could be under the gun later on what is the 4th Moderate Risk on the trot. Risk of strong tornadoes again across N/NE Texas, SE Oklahoma and SW Arkansas:

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day1otlk.html

Edited by Nick F

Posted

My heart and soul reaches out to those families left without children and loved ones this morning.In the days and weeks to come questions will be asked, as they always are, about the preperations, the warnings, the effectiveness of the tornado drills and shleters, the reasons some shelters failed so devastingly.Many of the properties levelled last night were built in 1999 after the last Moore, OK EF5 (this tornado yet to be rated, but 'looks' like high end EF4/EF5 in places to me). Only a very small percentage of tornados are capable of completely removing a building from it's foundation so the chances are a centre room or corridor, as it seems was the case in the school, would be sufficient. Not so this time. I also understand the kids were trapped under rubble and drowned after a water main burst. You simply can't facilitate for that sort of tradgedy.Many opinions on here no doubt, but events such as this do not dent my enthusiasm and fascination for these incredible storms. Instead, they are a somber reminder of their potential power and only increases my ambition to understand them, respect them, and help if only in a small way how to predict and warn people potentially in their path.

Posted

Strange how the UK news outlets are reporting 91 dead whilst all the US outlets are reporting 51 dead. Though the Guardian is going wih 51 too. Terrible news nevertheless, how unlucky can that south side of OK City be to see another F5 tornado follow a similar path 14 years on from the one that ripped through Moore on May 3rd 1999.

Looks like DFW could be under the gun later on what is the 4th Moderate Risk on the trot. Risk of strong tornadoes again across N/NE Texas, SE Oklahoma and SW Arkansas:

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day1otlk.html

Nick, the US reports have now upped the numbers to 91. 

Posted

I saw the footage at work today and was devastated. Three p.m. central time when I was getting some iced tea at a local fast food place. I've been watching the footage since I got home at midnight central time. It's so upsetting to see that little kids lost their lives not to mention any family losing loved ones. I went to school in SE nebraska and a practice TW was going into a central hallway and covering our heads with a book. There aren't basements in any schools as far as I know. In 1975 when I was a kid in school we had an f4 go through the city, school had let out but some businesses held employees. We had only three deaths. In 1975 we had a twenty minute warning which is huge. I guess this Moore tornado cycled up really fast and due to the bedrock below most of Oklahoma few people have basements. My neighbor, her kids and husband recently moved to  a burb of OKC and built a new home there without a shelter. I hope this changes her mind!!!! Choctaw OK. 

I'm going back to watching coverage until 3am.

I read earlier that the chasers were safe, and like myself...saddened with the loss of life.

Karen

Omaha Nebraska

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

I wouds say that Moore may have got 20 mins warning last night. The problem is that the tornado was so wide and the amount of people to evacuate, too many. The I-35 and other roads were clogged with cars with people trying to flee slightly before the tornado struck - so many did escape. There were probably in the region of 3500 houses to the west and east of the interstate that were significantly flattened/damaged as well as schools, 7-11's and other businesses. The sheer size and strength of the tornado meant that traditional safe zones were not in fact that, and that victims who went to the safest parts of their house still wouldn't have fared well. Very sad.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

Couple of quick pics from our chase today. Gonna probably do a big report tomorrow at some point. Not sure we will chase the moderate risk. Need a day to relax and recover right now..Scariest moment was when Dave realized it was heading in the general direction of his chase partner's (Thom Yancey) home. We had to rush back, pick up the wife and get the hell outta there. For a small time, this meant we had to drive back towards the wedge at it's fiercest.

I35/SW 19th junction
Posted Image

SE19th (Thom's house)
Posted Image

Storm heading east. We bailed on the storm to collect Thom's kid from school and drop them back off at their house which was spared - although covered in debris from other houses.
Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I haven't made it on to here for months (in large part because of the pants weather) but I am moved by the news this morning!! 

When I went out to the US on Tour 1 in 2010, we spent 3 days in Moore and it was my favourite place on the whole trip, probably in no small part as it was where we spent the longest. 

Am gutted to see it levelled AGAIN, twice in 14 years by possibly another E/F5 category tornado!!

Totally gutted!!!

Mr Menzies if you read this at some point hope you and your family are ok mate!!!

Edited by Harry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Unbelievable images there Gorky! I hope you had a spare pair of underpants in the car with you!

I think it really just goes to emphasise how dangerous these things really are, especially when they impact a large urban area.

My thoughts are with all those in Oklahoma City - stay safe guys.

Posted

Couple of quick pics from our chase today. Gonna probably do a big report tomorrow at some point. Not sure we will chase the moderate risk. Need a day to relax and recover right now..Scariest moment was when Dave realized it was heading in the general direction of his chase partner's (Thom Yancey) home. We had to rush back, pick up the wife and get the hell outta there. For a small time, this meant we had to drive back towards the wedge at it's fiercest.I35/SW 19th junctionSE19th (Thom's house)Storm heading east. We bailed on the storm to collect Thom's kid from school and drop them back off at their house which was spared - although covered in debris from other houses. 

Dramatic stuff Nathan and amazing images. Puts a whole new perspective on chasing when you're literally in a potential life or death rescue.

Posted

Tornadoes to me will always be a phenonemom (this might not sound right) but when they become as destructive as yesterday's that's when the fun side goes out of things (the joplin tornado a couple of years ago too) I know there been destructive tornadoes before but seems to be a worrying trend for them to be causing destruction more

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Looking at more footage of the tornado and this is definitely going to come in at an EF5 rating for a large part of its track--the spinning motion at the base was unbelievable.

Definitely an EF4 and probably an EF5, judging by how it seems to have flattened everything in its path. Devastating when these things strike built up areas.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Incredible footage from a Mr Charles Gafford as he took refuge in his storm shelter in Moore Oklahoma, he literately just stuck his camcorder through a small hole and shot the tornado as it passed by.

Posted

Tragic stuff.

What i cannot understand from looking at different parts of the US is why settlements first sprang up in some places in the US?

Why in more modern times have some of these cities in the mid-west expanded? Same goes for low lying places like New Orleans or even New York, for that matter?

Why were these places ever populated?

Are these strange Qs to ask? But i genuinely cannot understand.

Plus, why do they build such flimsy houses of wood? Just curious to know - anyone with a deep insight of the US know why?

Edited by Bristle boy

Posted

Tragic stuff.What i cannot understand from looking at different parts of the US is why settlements first sprang up in some places in the US?Why in more modern times have some of these cities in the mid-west expanded? Same goes for low lying places like New Orleans or even New York, for that matter?Why were these places ever populated?Are these strange Qs to ask? But i genuinely cannot understand.Plus, why do they build such flimsy houses of wood? Just curious to know - anyone with a deep insight of the US know why?

I'm not an expert on demographics but I can answer the question in relation to tornados.The 'chances' of any particular place being seriously damaged by a tornado are actually very low (maybe for any given location in the US Mid-west and Plains probably a once in 30 year event) and much less than being flooded. The US is huge an dtornados only affect very narrow strips over a few miles normally, so you should consider yourself very unlucky to be affected by one. You're probably much more likely to be in a car crash or get mugged, but we drive cars and we go out at night. I think this answers your question?

The fact that any given place has a very low chance of being damaged makes this event incredibly rare in that literally the same houses were destroyed as in 1999.

Posted

BREAKING: Some better news re #Oklahoma - medical examiner now revising feared death toll to 24 people, not 91 as she said last night.

Least their is some better news today.

Plus, why do they build such flimsy houses of wood? Just curious to know - anyone with a deep insight of the US know why?

From Wiki

More generally, people often build houses out of the nearest available material, and often tradition and/or culture govern construction-materials, so whole towns, areas, counties or even states/countries may be built out of one main type of material. For example, a large fraction of American houses use wood, while most British and many European houses utilize stone or brick.

Edited by lfcdude