Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland (Alba) Regional Discussion 21st May 2013 onwards

Coast

Posted

Another good growing day with a couple of heavy showers this afternoon with a maximum of 17c after 5c in the early morning.

Posted

Heading into the Ciste Gully up in lala land (formerly known as CairnGorm Mountain):

Posted Image

(^That is sleet by the way in the photo!)

Slightly more summery weather on the White Lady:

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

We got 17C too. Some rain in the middle of the day to help the diddly onionses alongsky.  Looking forward to a decent few days on the hills with little wind and hopefully some sun.  SS, nice bit of gardening going on therePosted Image .  My runners are ready to plant out tomorrow - after a week in big yoghurt pots - so should get a crop in late August to Sept - also the curly kale is just about going... Tomatoes need stringing again after I did them only yesterdayPosted Image  .

To butcher a well-known phrase, enjoying the first of the summer wine tonight.  Now to deal with the herbivorous molluscs outside...Posted Image

Any thoughts on how bad the haar will be this week, NL?

Posted

We got 17C too. Some rain in the middle of the day to help the diddly onionses alongsky.  Looking forward to a decent few days on the hills with little wind and hopefully some sun.  SS, nice bit of gardening going on therePosted Image .  My runners are ready to plant out tomorrow - after a week in big yoghurt pots - so should get a crop in late August to Sept - also the curly kale is just about going... Tomatoes need stringing again after I did them only yesterdayPosted Image  .

To butcher a well-known phrase, enjoying the first of the summer wine tonight.  Now to deal with the herbivorous molluscs outside...Posted Image

Any thoughts on how bad the haar will be this week, NL?

Haar may well be a problem as it is classical June anticyclonic weather for the Moray Firth with North Sea a  bit colder than it should be but surely the strength of the sun should burn it back to the coast now. Certainly for me as  I am just a bit inland  and hopefully for you too. Wind direction and strength will also be an issue. Mornings may be a bit overcast but plants should like the damp start to the day.  No science behind it but I sense a possible drought year just to continue our extreme weather patterns and the fact that we haven't had a serious one here since 2003.

Edited by Northernlights

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Another damp start here but already 15C and a high overnight minimum so beanstalk type growth here.  I think you're about right there NL - we'll be peering out in hope each morning as we're dependant on wind to keep us clear. It's really so dismal for the folk who live and work in the village to hear a constant barrage of 'oh but it's warm and sunny just up the road.'

No drought please, we're Scottish.

Email from Hungary last night - floods just receding from late snow melting, and that's not even in the hills.  I'm reading and hearing lots of similar tales of a cold and late spring across Europe.

Posted

Cracking day so far :) Not sure if it will last all day but there you go

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

19 C here. Sunny with occasional clouds. Lovely.

Weeding. F**kin buttercups and ground elder. The latter is a particularly annoying barstool.

Out of interest, anyone know what the yellow ones in this (old) photo are called? Lots of little yellow flowers up the side of the stem between the leaves and spread via sending out redish/white roots.

Normally I encourage them but they've gone mad this year and are drowning stuff. Just been rescuing lupins from them.

post-9421-0-69717100-1370176349_thumb.jp

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

Beauty of a afternoon out there. No hints of cloud approaching :)

Posted

Super day. Still extremely pleasant - could get used to this!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Out of interest, anyone know what the yellow ones in this (old) photo are called? Lots of little yellow flowers up the side of the stem between the leaves and spread via sending out redish/white roots.

Normally I encourage them but they've gone mad this year and are drowning stuff. Just been rescuing lupins from them.

Och the wonders of google!

http://www.thewesternisles.co.uk/wildflowers/yellow-loosestrife.htm

Posted

Evening all, been busy for a few days. Been some cracking days of late, with the last 2 very nice indeed.

Spent the day at Blair Drummond, and finally got some colour back into my skin.

post-2849-0-02081400-1370205864_thumb.jp

And now we have a superb evening (finally trying my panoramic setting)

post-2849-0-12837700-1370205849_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
Saw flowers like this up near Pitlochry last week and wondered what they were. Cracking sunny day here today with a max of 18.5C.

My peas have not germinated yet but were planted late due to the cold weather and trying to time them for not ripening when we are on holiday this year.

Posted

Another good growing day followed by a fantastic sunset to the NW.   Made it to 17c today and currently 10.2c.post-2744-0-50080800-1370210426_thumb.jp

Edited by Northernlights

Posted

Today was quite an unexpected surprise. Went out on the rmotorbike after a lot of cleaning/degreasing. Why have I waited so long to use paraffin as chain cleaner? Expected a cloudy day but it was pretty much sunny and partly cloudy. The evening was cloud free and i managed to BBQ my brisket. Result!

post-11598-0-97947600-1370212629_thumb.j

Posted

Bright rather than completely sunny today but cloud's breaking a little

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Reached over 20'C here earlier but unfortunately clouded over now, still very pleasantly warm however. 18'C now. 

Posted

Toastie! Some nice looking convection going up in the clear air towards the east or South east of Edinburgh.

Posted

Sun's never managed to come fully out today friustrating but it jolly warm!

Posted

Very humid day here with very thundery looking cloud to the SW currently 19c.

Posted

It's refreshing to see summer start on a pleasant and seasonal note for once. The rest of this week is looking good too except for some eastern coasts. Fingers crossed we can keep this up during the rest of summer!

Posted

MUCH better this morning. Sun is out and already warm (never had much sleep though because of the heat bleh) but looking good today

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Sun trying desperately to break through the cloud, looking like it might be successful soon; otherwise quite warm at 16'C.