Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion 11th July 2013 onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

I hope not selfishly for my mothers sake that heat could kill her

Current watch level: Level 2 - Alert and Readiness in one or more regions of England and Wales

Issued at: Thursday 11 July 2013 at 08:59

There is a 70 % probability of heatwave conditions between 1200 on Friday and 2000 on Sunday in parts of England.

Temperatures are expected to climb close to heatwave thresholds across the East Midlands and Yorshire and the Humber regions during Friday and Saturday, then the highest temperatures transfer southwards to affect East of England, Southeast England, London and parts of Southwest England during Saturday and Sunday. West Midlands may also get close to heatwave criteria, mainly towards Birmingham and Warwick, with the warmest temperatures on Saturday.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/heathealth/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

I shouldn't batten anything down in this heat!

you can (and we do) stop the heat getting in, doors and windows closed, heat reflecting curtains etc...

Current watch level: Level 2 - Alert and Readiness in one or more regions of England and Wales

Issued at: Thursday 11 July 2013 at 08:59

There is a 70 % probability of heatwave conditions between 1200 on Friday and 2000 on Sunday in parts of England.

Temperatures are expected to climb close to heatwave thresholds across the East Midlands and Yorshire and the Humber regions during Friday and Saturday, then the highest temperatures transfer southwards to affect East of England, Southeast England, London and parts of Southwest England during Saturday and Sunday. West Midlands may also get close to heatwave criteria, mainly towards Birmingham and Warwick, with the warmest temperatures on Saturday.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/heathealth/

Crikey

MKSA is on high alert!

Posted

you can (and we do) stop the heat getting in, doors and windows closed, heat reflecting curtains etc...

Do you have air conditioning then?

Posted

How do you define "heatwave thresholds"?

Had this asked the other day, Wiki says:

A heat wave is a prolonged period of excessively hot weather, which may be accompanied by high humidity. While definitions vary,] a heat wave is measured relative to the usual weather in the area and relative to normal temperatures for the season. Temperatures that people from a hotter climate consider normal can be termed a heat wave in a cooler area if they are outside the normal climate pattern for that area. The term is applied both to routine weather variations and to extraordinary spells of heat which may occur only once a century. Severe heat waves have caused catastrophic crop failures, thousands of deaths from hyperthermia, and widespread power outages due to increased use of air conditioning.The definition recommended by the World Meteorological Organization is when the daily maximum temperature of more than five consecutive days exceeds the average maximum temperature by 5 °C (9 °F), the normal period being 1961–1990

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heatwave

Posted

Do you have air conditioning then?

no, none of us have that, just keep the heat out as best we can.

Posted

no, none of us have that, just keep the heat out as best we can.

Is it not better to open the windows and let the breeze blow through rather than seal a house up as you would in Winter to keep warm? Posted Image

Posted

Is it not better to open the windows and let the breeze blow through rather than seal a house up as you would in Winter to keep warm? Posted Image

believe it or not, you can keep a house cooler keeping it closed off and make sure the sun facing sides are not open.

best example I can give is it is 2 degress warmer outside now than in.

Posted

Glorious day in Peterborough although surprise it was only 22c, fom when got there until we departed was unbroken sunshine. Drive home was similar with very little alteration to the temperature display in the car.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

TOP TIP OF THE DAY...

Putting a fan in or in front of an open window during the night and morning will bring the cool air in. That will get the cool air inside. Closing the windows during the hot part of the day and keeping the sun out will help. If it gets too hot, opening windows on opposite sides of the room will draw air inside. Fans can help. Or putting ice in an ice chest in front of a fan can lower the temperature a few degrees. Posted Image 

post-10773-0-09362100-1373561901_thumb.j

I've found a fantastic way to keep our furry little K9 friends cool in the heatwave....freeze their favourite toys and let them lick the ice to get them out !

post-10773-0-66918700-1373561704_thumb.j

Posted

Granted it's not always possible where your home is unoccupied during the day perhaps, but as someone who is currently  more or less 'trapped' at home, I find keeping doors and windows open as much as possible certainly helps to  keep my indoor temperatures down. Especially since this glorious spell of weather has been accompanied by low humidity and a nice breeze in my location.

I have 'blackout' type blinds fitted in my bedroom which gets full sun all afternoon, and that helps to keep the heat out, along with keeping windows open to allow a good flow of air throughout. Another great tip I was given, which may sound odd but does actually work is this. If you have a duvet put it away in a cupboard and just use the duvet cover. On really warm nights give the duvet cover a vey light spray with water about an hour before going to bed.

Seriously, it does work.....I can vouch for that as someone who worked nighshifts for many years and had to sleep during the hottest parts of the day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

You devil, what are you up too with putty? (I guessing windows but with you, hey anything could happen)

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

It was just an area around the window where the plaster came away. So even I could deal with that. The main job was painting the room - I am about half way therePosted Image  I tend to get fidgety with it after a while, so its a case of doing some and then coming back and doing some more until it gets done

Edited by Tamara Road

Posted

Hi all

Hope everyones enjoying the weather

Will a full update later but at present it looks like the storm risk could be saturday afternoon

Could be a hot and steamy day (weather wise:-). )

http://www.weathercharts.org/ukmomslp.htm

Be back later

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Just arrived back in Naaaarich and its overcast, and bloomin chilly. Ruddy sauce. :O It was hot and sunny in Ippy. Tsk!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Just arrived back in Naaaarich and its overcast, and bloomin chilly. Ruddy sauce. Posted Image It was hot and sunny in Ippy. Tsk!

Aye K, but Ippy's not in The Triangle!Posted Image

Posted

Aye K, but Ippy's not in The Triangle!:rofl:

Erm.....what is The Triangle?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

TOP TIP OF THE DAY...

Putting a fan in or in front of an open window during the night and morning will bring the cool air in. That will get the cool air inside. Closing the windows during the hot part of the day and keeping the sun out will help. If it gets too hot, opening windows on opposite sides of the room will draw air inside. Fans can help. Or putting ice in an ice chest in front of a fan can lower the temperature a few degrees. Posted Image

971474_608436652521432_1155617710_n.jpg

I've found a fantastic way to keep our furry little K9 friends cool in the heatwave....freeze their favourite toys and let them lick the ice to get them out !

k-bigpic.jpg

The fan on the window sill works a treat, did this in 2006 when wife was preggo with our first daughter.

Posted

Erm.....what is The Triangle?

Ah...It's the triangle-shaped area between Beccles, Lowestoft and Norwich that misses out on snow, heat and thunderstorms...Posted Image

Posted

The fan on the window sill works a treat, did this in 2006 when wife was preggo with our first daughter.

I used to fill old plastic milk bottles with water, freeze them and place them in front of a fan by the bed at night (since got a a cooler that includes this)

Posted

would say that you should only open a window when it is cooler and out of the sun, else you just *drag* hotter air in, time your window opening to meet the cooler times of day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Also if you have any pet's that are suffering in the heat, then use old water filled plastic bottle's, frozen, then put in the cage or bed.

Pet's tend to lay next to them to keep cool.

Posted

Ah...It's the triangle-shaped area between Beccles, Lowestoft and Norwich that misses out on snow, heat and thunderstorms...:rofl:

Ah, I see. Well, that explains the grimness then. I'm moving to Ippy forthwith. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

Evening all. Been a really nice day here today - but I'm really looking forward to the warm up tomorrow and the weekend.

It was really funny tonight. My son has had a wobbly milk tooth for about 6 weeks now, and he keeps asking when will it fall out. So I said eat this raw carrot, but bite down hard. He did that, and hey presto this tooth came out. So my wife said if your good the tooth fairy may come and pay you a visit when your asleep, and leave you a little gift... My sons reply "is a mini iPad a small gift" we really laughed.... When I was a child, £1 was great... Kids and technology, I wouldn't mind to much but he is only 5 (coming on 16 😉) 😃

Posted

Ah, I see. Well, that explains the grimness then. I'm moving to Ippy forthwith. Posted Image

But the bridge! it is sooo scary IMHO.

Posted

Evening all. Been a really nice day here today - but I'm really looking forward to the warm up tomorrow and the weekend.

It was really funny tonight. My son has had a wobbly milk tooth for about 6 weeks now, and he keeps asking when will it fall out. So I said eat this raw carrot, but bite down hard. He did that, and hey presto this tooth came out. So my wife said if your good the tooth fairy may come and pay you a visit when your asleep, and leave you a little gift... My sons reply "is a mini iPad a small gift" we really laughed.... When I was a child, £1 was great... Kids and technology, I wouldn't mind to much but he is only 5 (coming on 16 )

It was sixpence when I was wee!Posted Image