Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern Regional Discussion Discussion 16th July 2013 onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

A real lesson for anyone who dispairs at no development by 4pm! Rapid development in half an hour and a lot of lightning near Salisbury and up towards Swindon. Cbs high based to the East of here.

banging away like a good 'un here Andy.....lol......centred over wootton basset by the sounds of it....

ooooooh, lovely deep rumble just then as I was typing!

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

cells moving NNE currently,

Posted

Posted Image

The thunder is getting louder and louder, but no sign of rain yet.

been watching it build and can see lightning from potterne... its looking good for you! falk lightning across the sky 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Nout this way, lots of blue sky infact.

Posted

Hearing regular distant rumbles, let the fun begin!!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

This just exploded upwards, looking N/E from frome

Fromeypost-8439-0-25533700-1374513702_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Storms do not get stuck in valleys or near high ground. The reason it seems that way is because they are continually developing / back-building.Feeling pretty privileged to have witnessed lightning that was so far away last night along with the full moon shining brightly.

Yeah quite surreal that, the lightning was lighting up most of the sky but the moon was still fully out.

Posted

time to take the 3 muts out... up the hill... so i can get a better look... just a few miles north :( back build plz!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

It's happening now, lets hope for further developments to the west too.

Indeed, I was focussing more on tomorrow and the thought it just being a band of rain and a non-event. Anyway, as ever, many surprises expected along the way and before we even get there. This lot was not foreseen by the media forecasts I saw, did the models nail this lot we currently have in parts of our region I wonder? ENJOY ALL. Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted

Just posted this in the conv thread. Here's Salisbury 10 mins ago. Plenty of thunder/lightning in that.

post-7340-0-88915800-1374514040_thumb.jp

There's more action West Wellow way to the south east and it's just started raining here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

What did Thomasz say? I missed that forecast.

A fairly UK wide event tomorrow with potential for anything from deadly lightning, hail, gusty winds, the works. Nothing much in our region before then, but they're wrong I'm afraid, IT'S A KICKING OFF. Just shows how difficult it is predict these outbreaks. Newbury needs you, storms!

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Jesus! Lightning right outside the house! Deep rumbles of thunder here now, this is getting exciting. Posted Image

Oh, has anyone else noticed an attack of flying ants today, or is it just me?

yep, can still hear it rumbling to my north  east.....it is a fairly discrete cell and will pass through quite quickly by the looks of radar, but I can imagine plenty more action to come during the overnight hours for our neck of the woods

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

A fairly UK wide event tomorrow with potential for anything from deadly lightning, hail, gusty winds, the works. Nothing much in our region before then, but they're wrong I'm afraid. Just shows how difficult it is predict these outbreaks.

Deadly lightning?? Better put my steel helmet on then. ;)

Posted

looks like most of the electrical activity is over Purton, to the west of Swindon from that cell currently......also a very electrically active cell has fired to the east of Devizes heading towards Marlbrough, lots of sferics in that one!

Posted

Can see lightning CG and some decent rumbles of thunder from the Swindon cell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Clouds bubbling up from the West, three or four drops of rain and a couple of rumbles Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

post-11000-0-10502700-1374514772_thumb.jHi everyone, just took this picture from Cowplain (hope it loads OK), just north of Portsmouth - I keep thinking I can hear distant thunder but it might be people bringing their wheelie bins in! Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

A fairly UK wide event tomorrow with potential for anything from deadly lightning, hail, gusty winds, the works. Nothing much in our region before then, but they're wrong I'm afraid, IT'S A KICKING OFF. Just shows how difficult it is predict these outbreaks. Newbury needs you, storms!

Exciting stuff! Posted Image

what's the difference between normal lightning and deadly lightning then? Posted Image

Posted

Came by Didcot and then Swindon on the train 2 hours ago and there was v little sign of what is now being reported on here.

Maybe tonight will be interesting.....

Posted

Deadly lightning??  Posted Image

Don't quote me on that but something similar. Posted Image Thunder overhead complete with screaming kids here in Newbury now and a few large spots of rain and possibly melted hail.

Edited by gottolovethisweather