Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern Regional Discussion Discussion 16th July 2013 onwards

Coast

Posted

Indeed.Although, I get the impression from the radar & the reports on here, that the Taunton area had a lot less thunder/lightning than some other areas of the region [such as Bristol] & other parts of the country.<JG>

Was it still a good storm?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

So it sounds like something like this happened;

post-12721-0-63415400-1374576027_thumb.j

- The area in the black segment saw Thunderstorms early evening yesterday, with a house strike reported in Duddington. This area includes Swindon, Melksham, Trowbridge, Devizes, Chippenham, Westbury, Pewsey, Cirencester, Oxford and Newbury

- The area where the strikes are displayed, within the blue segment had a developing thunderstorm between the hours of 02:30 and 05:30 (depending on YBY). This area includes Taunton, Axeminster, Yeovil, Bristol, Bath, Ilminster, Glastonbury, Shepton Mallet, Bridgwater, Weston Super Mare, Stroud, Gloucester, Cheltenham, Yate, Yatton and Portishead.

- The areas marked with red lines recorded a bust unfortunetly. This includes all of Cornwall, Devon and Dorset along with the Mendips, Salisbury, Frome, Blandford, Southhampton, Isle of Wight, Bournemouth, Poole, Portsmouth, Basingstoke, Winchester, Andover and Romsey.

Edited by AWD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

Posted Imageimage.jpg

- The area in the black segment saw Thunderstorms early evening yesterday, with a house strike reported in Duddington. This area includes Swindon, Melksham, Trowbridge, Devizes, Chippenham, Westbury, Pewsey, Cirencester, Oxford and Newbury

- The area where the strikes are displayed, within the blue segment had a developing thunderstorm between the hours of 02:30 and 05:30 (depending on YBY). This area includes Taunton, Axeminster, Yeovil, Bristol, Bath, Ilminster, Glastonbury, Shepton Mallet, Bridgwater, Weston Super Mare, Stroud, Gloucester, Cheltenham, Yate, Yatton and Portishead.

- The areas marked with red likes recorded a bust unfortunetly. This includes all of Cornwall, Devon and Dorset along with the Mendips, Salisbury, Frome, Blandford, Southhampton, Isle of Wight, Bournemouth, Poole, Portsmouth, Basingstoke, Winchester, Andover and Romsey.

Nice job. Will someone from Netweather be bringing out a 24 hour lightning strike map do you think?

Posted

Nice job. Will someone from Netweather be bringing out a 24 hour lightning strike map do you think?

I hope so. Will make for an interesting read. Apparantely there have been over 24,000 lightning strikes over the UK up to now.If I didn't have to be somewhere at 14:30 and I wasn't tired from staying up most of the night last night, I would have a drive to Warwickshire or somewhere today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

I hope so. Will make for an interesting read. Apparantely there have been over 24,000 lightning strikes over the UK up to now.If I didn't have to be somewhere at 14:30 and I wasn't tired from staying up most of the night last night, I would have a drive to Warwickshire or somewhere today.

24000! Woah! Have got to see that map!

Yeah I'm shattered! Roll on 5pm!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Posted Imageimage.jpg

- The areas marked with red lines recorded a bust unfortunetly. This includes all of Cornwall, Devon and Dorset along with the Mendips, Salisbury, Frome, Blandford, Southhampton, Isle of Wight, Bournemouth, Poole, Portsmouth, Basingstoke, Winchester, Andover and Romsey.

to be fair AWD that is actually quite inaccurate.....there were plenty of storms tracking north to south in line stretching from Poole/Christchurch through Salisbury and through salisbury plain upinto Swindon during the early hours/early morning, as well as storms firing earlier in the evening (around 10:30pm) which followed a similar vector (although these were mainly to the north of Salisbury

Posted

to be fair AWD that is actually quite inaccurate.....there were plenty of storms tracking north to south in line stretching from Poole/Christchurch through Salisbury and through salisbury plain upinto Swindon during the early hours/early morning, as well as storms firing earlier in the evening (around 10:30pm) which followed a similar vector (although these were mainly to the north of Salisbury

So why are people in the Poole/Bournemouth area complaining of no thunderstorm activity?I based my map thing above on reports rather than the radar which looks like being inaccurate then. Anyway, the areas I mentioned getting thunderstorms above did, and it now appears a few in the Dorset/Hampshire zone also got Thunderstorms too, so with the exception of D&C, it appears you were rather unlucky and in the minority if you missed out last night.Any better AJ?post-12721-0-65141500-1374577286_thumb.j Edited by AWD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

So why are people in the Poole/Bournemouth area complaining of no thunderstorm activity?I based my map thing above on reports rather than the radar which looks like being inaccurate then.Anyway, the areas I mentioned getting thunderstorms above did, and it now appears a few in the Dorset/Hampshire zone also got Thunderstorms too, so with the exception of D&C, it appears you were rather unlucky and in the minority if you missed out last night.

That's because storms developed to the east of Poole/Bournemouth storms actually initiated around 6:00am around the new forest region moving quickly to Fordingbridge and then into Salisbury...There was plenty of audible thunder in Christchurch this morning (my sister-in-law confirmed) and indeed there was thunder and lightning in South Devon (near Brixham) and out in Lyme Bay

Posted

That's because storms developed to the east of Poole/Bournemouth storms actually initiated around 6:00am around the new forest region moving quickly to Fordingbridge and then into Salisbury...There was plenty of audible thunder in Christchurch this morning (my sister-in-law confirmed) and indeed there was thunder and lightning in South Devon (near Brixham) and out in Lyme Bay

I have an headache and I'm tired. I give up. Seems like quite a few of us saw or heard something then.

Posted

So why are people in the Poole/Bournemouth area complaining of no thunderstorm activity?

I based my map thing above on reports rather than the radar which looks like being inaccurate then.

Anyway, the areas I mentioned getting thunderstorms above did, and it now appears a few in the Dorset/Hampshire zone also got Thunderstorms too, so with the exception of D&C, it appears you were rather unlucky and in the minority if you missed out last night.

Any better AJ?

Posted Imageimage.jpg

no,not better, I don't like the use of colour, poor choice...very little artistic license Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted

I have an headache and I'm tired. I give up. Seems like quite a few of us saw or heard something then.

try and get some kip mate Posted Image ....twas a long night, but very rewarding! Posted Image

Posted

Well that was the best storm iv seen since may 2008, it was a bit better than that storm aswel, constant thunder and lightning for at least an hour, but lasted longer than that after it slowly moved to the NW, then another little storm developed around 6am towards lansdown giving a good few flashes and rumbles of thunder.

Posted

The Poole & Bournemouth snow storm-shield was left in place last night, which clearly prevented storms firing up over us!

There's always next year.Posted Image

Posted

Here is the ATD map as of 09:30 this morning;

post-12721-0-59568400-1374578758_thumb.j

As you can see, more received than missed with plenty of lightning strikes across the region.

Notable areas that missed out are Cornwall, West Devon, central Dorset up into the Mendips, the Isle of Wight & Portsmouth area.

Someone fancy counting the strikes on that map to see how many our region got? ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, frosty / Warm but not hot with a steady breeze

Posted Imageimage.jpg

As you can see, more received than missed with plenty of lightning strikes across the region.

Notable areas that missed out are Cornwall, West Devon, central Dorset up into the Mendips, the Isle of Wight & Portsmouth area.

Someone fancy counting the strikes on that map to see how many our region got? ;)

3437 exactly

Posted

Posted Imageimage.jpg

Someone fancy counting the strikes on that map to see how many our region got? Posted Image

I lost count at 11,374!.....Posted Image

currently 22.6C here with a 19C dewpoint and SBCape building and plenty of MLCape still available....for what it's worth the 06z NMM run is progging a noticable low level wind convergence this afternoon through part of Somerset, the Bristol area/Wiltshire and up into the cotswolds.....although storm parameters get less favourable as the day/afternoon/early evening wears on, I wonder if we might just squeeze some more storms for these areas over the next few hours?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, freezing rain, hail, thunderstorms!

Sorry to upset those who had nothing last night, but that was an intense line of thuder storms, which kept going over us (East of Somerton and North of Yeovilton) mid/south Somerset then into North somerset.  I think it lasted over an hour - but the amazing thing was the lightning rate - must have easily been every 2/3 seconds sustained for ages and every 20/30 seconds the thunder literally shook the house. It woke us up at about 3am, the noise of the rain on the vellux windows (open) which splashed in on us.  Have no rain guage, but there must have been some pretty big totals, judging by the large puddles this morning.  I'm sure those who missed out will get something soon.......snow in September maybe (wouldn't surprise me based on what's happening with the climate!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

strike map looks impressive but if you look at the radar for roughly 3am the storm moves northwards and is intense but only for a narrow area. sadly

post-8911-0-29200300-1374579957_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, freezing rain, hail, thunderstorms!

Cheers Mullender,

Looking at the radar map - I think Somerton and a few other places in Somerset mentioned were slap bang under that lot!  For once we were in the right place at the right time!!

Some interesting radar echos showing up coming out of Northern France towards the South east!

Posted

strike map looks impressive but if you look at the radar for roughly 3am the storm moves northwards and is intense but only for a narrow area. sadly

storm.png

That's because the strike map I posted included the storms over Wiltshire earlier in the night whereas that radar is for 3am, for El Bristolio only.

Posted