Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow and Ice in the Northern Hemisphere 2013/14

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

The thing is though, eventually the refreeze rates will slow down.  There will come a point where there will be less 'freezable' ocean available the further it spreads out. Over in Newfoundland, SSTs are above average so the area around Greenland / north west Canada will probably take longer to freeze. 

As the Siberian basin freezes over, i'd expect to see the daily gains come down a bit.  

Fortunately, there's still a decent amount available to freeze over there, so we should easily pass the 2000's line. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms
Here's the IJIS October daily extent change from 2002 to 2013, so it's a graph of the (mostly) daily increases in extent, rather than the absolute extent values which you might be accustomed to seeing.
2013 is the thick black line, the daily maximum increase is the blue dash line, the average is green, the lowest increase (occasional decrease) is the orange dashed line, 2007 in the light grey thin line and 2012 in the dark grey thin line

Posted Image

So we haven't had the highest daily increase (compared to 2002-2012) yet, but as can be seen all but two (on the 2nd and 3rd) daily increases have been above the 2002-2012 average.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Crazy to see how far we are off the 1 year max, I guess it has a lot to do with how poor the last two years have been that we are getting so excited about this year!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: erratic weather,week of v.heavy snow or cold

http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/bookies-reveal-first-odds-for-uk-white-christmas/

The lowest-ever temperature recorded in England is -26.1C. In Wales it is -23.2C and in Scotland an even chillier -27.2C.

You can get 16/1 odds on any of these being beaten before 30 April 2014.

winter draws on and I'm tempted to put a tenner on! 

Posted

Lots of snow in the Alps

http://avoriaz.livecam360.net/

http://valthorens.livecam360.net/chalet-thorens

Edited by LincolnSnowstorm

Posted

http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/bookies-reveal-first-odds-for-uk-white-christmas/

The lowest-ever temperature recorded in England is -26.1C. In Wales it is -23.2C and in Scotland an even chillier -27.2C.

You can get 16/1 odds on any of these being beaten before 30 April 2014.

winter draws on and I'm tempted to put a tenner on! 

Good luck with your bet if choose to back it but imo those odds are poor ,the odds should be 33/1 at leastPosted Image

• Like 1

Posted

To be honest not that much up top either ,looks like I was thinking of the wrong country Posted Image

http://www.markvoganweather.com/2013/10/11/record-snowfall-alps/

Swiss alps not French.

http://www.livecam360.com/webcams-360/6/suisse/

Posted

Good luck with your bet if choose to back it but imo those odds are poor ,the odds should be 33/1 at leastPosted Image

Thanks I will hold back on that, me been having imaginations of a over due 62/63 winter.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry or cold and snowy, but please not mild and rainy!

Moving west looks like further gains and some in scandi now.

Today and yesterday.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted

Moving west looks like further gains and some in scandi now.

Today and yesterday.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Doing so well and only behind 2002

post-15601-0-75999700-1381531567_thumb.g

Netweather report of that winter wonder if there will be some kind of a match up 

A different winter, in that zonality wasn't persistantly there, in fact High Pressure easily dominated affairs after mid January. Some good snowfalls of up to 2 inches here in South Wales (200m asl) and the South East seeing quite a bit. London getting the most snow its seen for a good while. Easterly winds occasionally, brinign temperatures down a lot, with a very cold continent contributing. I recorded -15c windchill in early February! Scotland unlucky though, not seeing as much as 2000-01, Esterlies no the best wind direction for the North. A very dry winter overall, after early flooding in January. Astonishingly different to the 90s in terms of sunshine and rain totals. A good winter, although no where near snowy enough here in South Wales. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

Doing so well and only behind 2002

Posted Imageims2002284_asiaeurope.gif

Netweather report of that winter wonder if there will be some kind of a match up 

A different winter, in that zonality wasn't persistantly there, in fact High Pressure easily dominated affairs after mid January. Some good snowfalls of up to 2 inches here in South Wales (200m asl) and the South East seeing quite a bit. London getting the most snow its seen for a good while. Easterly winds occasionally, brinign temperatures down a lot, with a very cold continent contributing. I recorded -15c windchill in early February! Scotland unlucky though, not seeing as much as 2000-01, Esterlies no the best wind direction for the North. A very dry winter overall, after early flooding in January. Astonishingly different to the 90s in terms of sunshine and rain totals. A good winter, although no where near snowy enough here in South Wales. 

For sure England can easily rival and surpass Scotland in terms of snow, for instance the North York Moors and Pennines can be the snowiest parts of the UK with an easterly flow, in fact the official deepest level snow ever recorded in the UK in a inhabited place was in Teesdale, England during the very snowy Winter of 1946-47 with 211cm of snow on the ground!! god knows what the drifts were like. Scotland does better than England in a northerly.

Edited by Gaz1985

Posted

I would not class 2 inches as good

3 to 4 would be the recent winter version of what good looks like I reckon and 6 to 8 excellent...10 and above 1947 styley is crazy!  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold with a metre of lying snow

For many days now the ice has been growing either side of the Laptev Sea. Why isn't the Laptev Sea closing up?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

The latest value: 6,665,549 km2 (October 11, 2013)

Posted Image

One more day I reckon!! 

One more day to what?