Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow and Ice in the Northern Hemisphere 2013/14

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Bbc weather showing a decent snow event for the high ground in scotland this weekend. Might get a few white pixels on the IMS charts ;-)

Blimey, that one caught me out somewhat, let's hope it materialises. Phil nw's post in the MOD thread indicates a further glimmer of hope too. Let's see if the afternoon and evening outputs continue to shine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Yes it looks like a top up for the Cairngorms and other higher levels in the far north.

A brief shot of polar air after the weekend's low.

It does show even in a fairly unpromising NH profile that we can get these little cold snaps.Of course they will be fleeting as the next pulse of energy rushes in off the Atlantic.

The thing for coldies is that with the jet fairly well south that cold air to the north is closer so even a small kink in the jet can tap into that and bring some of it this way.

At the moment though it's a generally flat looking pattern so these colder incursions are limited for now.Any signs of some buckling of the jet upstream would raise interest.

Early days yet though.Posted Image

Edited by phil nw.
  • Like 3

Posted

Blimey, that one caught me out somewhat, let's hope it materialises. Phil nw's post in the MOD thread indicates a further glimmer of hope too. Let's see if the afternoon and evening outputs continue to shine.

Well i'm down for 7c max tomorrow but it was 5c the other day so no surprise to me. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters

Anyone got latest sea ice graph for quick comparison as the one I Look at was suspended Oct 25.  Images look good though and it seems the Kara Sea will freeze up a lot quicker this year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Well i'm down for 7c max tomorrow but it was 5c the other day so no surprise to me. 

In smithyweather we trust. Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: erratic weather,week of v.heavy snow or cold

Anyone got latest sea ice graph for quick comparison as the one I Look at was suspended Oct 25.  Images look good though and it seems the Kara Sea will freeze up a lot quicker this year.

any good? https://sites.google.com/site/arcticseaicegraphs/

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters

Thanks guys.  Sea ice growth is still looking good. I usually go to arctic sea ice news and analysis but technical difficulties have suspended tne graph since 25 Oct.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: erratic weather,week of v.heavy snow or cold
Posted

In terms of what?

Snow cover. Less now than this time last year in Scandi and W Russia.

Posted
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...
  • Weather Preferences: jack frost
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...

Posted Image

Northern Hemisphere snow cover collapses !

Edited by be cause

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Thought i would mention if anyone is interested ,if you put in on Google ,winnipeg web cams and click on top list ,then scroll down to Kimmirut ,NUnavut ,you can see some lovely snow ,also over time you can watch the sea ice over ,keep an eye out for locals all very interesting .you will have to excuse my knowledge of computers etc ,still learning .if any one knows of some better web cams with frequent updating let me know .my friend in canada who works for forestry and hunting industry Reports wolves are much further south in his kneck of the woods with some recent reports of low temp coming in earlier .Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry or cold and snowy, but please not mild and rainy!

Posted Image

Northern Hemisphere snow cover collapses !

I think you mean "Falls back to average". If it s trend to below average its a worry but it dipped below in 2012 also in mid-lat Nov and Dec before bouncing back.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

The snow and ice was always going to trend to average after a manic start to the season. This years rapid growth was simply an anomoly. To expect it tonhave continued at auch an epic rate was a bit unrealistic. Still, we are in a good position synoptically for our winter prospects.

• Like 1