Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Very Severe Tropical Cyclone Phailin

Posted

Watching Indian TV news online a short while ago, they had an Indian Met departmant guy on, asking if they were underestimating this since the JWTC are forecasting a much stronger storm (320+ km/h gusts). He said he didn't think the criticism was fair because this will be impacting a "very small area" for a short period of time...

Edited by radiohead

Posted

The last major cyclone was in 1999, named Odisha... this one may retain its strength and be just as damaging.  The storm surge on that occasion was 8m and swept up to 20km inland in some places where the ground is uniform and low lying.  Absolutely devastating.  At least if the authorities set up an exclusion zone and got people even to walk inland to higher ground a great number could be saved.  It may now be rather late for some.

I know cyclones change course erratically sometimes but there's no sign of that happening when you look at the satellite time lapse on this.  After a weaker period it looks to be generally gathering strength in stages at the moment and heading on curve taking it NW on a path somewhere between Brahmapur (pop. 355,000 plus) and Srikakuram (population 155,000 plus).  If it swings on a course more to the west (following the eye on the hourly satellite snapshots, this seems to be the case, though slowing down in forward motion a little), then a major population centre, Visakhapatnam, with over 2 million inhabitants is potentially in the firing line.  At least here the surroundings seem to be more hilly, allowing people to take refuge from a surge on higher ground, nevertheless that's an awful lot of people, so unless the storm weakens then statistically it's looking to be quite a concern.  Trouble is, where cyclones such as this one meet hillier terrain, although they weaken in wind strength they do dump an awful lot of rain in very little time enhancing the flood risk to people living within the valleys on higher ground.  Although it is interesting to see weather models and satellite photos, some can be worrying and I think this storm falls into that category.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_Odisha_cyclone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

JTWC have upped the winds to 140kts, making Phailin a cat 5, the first in the basin since 2007. Phailin will probably still be a cat 5 at landfall.

• Like 1

Posted

Wow, Phailin certainly did bomb out. The link provided by radiohead shows Phailin has intensified further and has minimum pressure down to 910.8mb again. Very worrying times for people in the firing line.

MTCSWA (above) puts it at 883.5 which seems unbelievable, but the structure looks amazing and with no recon out there who knows...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

Posted Image

886mb Posted Image

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/2013/adt/text/PHAILIN_N-list.txt

Edited by BurntFishTrousers
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

MTCSWA (above) puts it at 883.5 which seems unbelievable, but the structure looks amazing and with no recon out there who knows...

Hideous. I think most of us like to see extreme weather, but when it impacts impoverished people, it's just awful. :(

My god, I hope people are taking the necessary precautions.

I personally don't think that it is likely that it is down to 883mb, or even sub 900. I know it's possible, but that would be almost 30mb lower than any other cyclone recorded in the region - Seems quite insane!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Posted
I didn't know that the pressure could fall below 900. Poor, poor people who are going to experience that storm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

What a monster! Those poor people...

beautiful but deadly indeed.

K

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

She's incredible.

Posted

886mb, 150KT, (170mph).

Incredible, this is pretty much as strong as Wilma, just a lot bigger.

If only recon was in there.

Posted

http://news.sky.com/story/1153402/cyclone-phailin-thousands-flee-in-east-india

Many villagers said they had not been told to evacuate, and others were refusing to leave their homes.

"Of course I'm scared, but where will I move with my family?" said Kuramayya, 38, a fisherman from the village of Bandharuvanipeta, while 12ft waves crashed behind him. "We can't leave our boats behind."

The Indian Meteorological Department said Phailin would hit between Kalingapatnam in Andhra Pradesh and the port of Paradip in Odisha state and predicted storm surges 10ft above normal tides.

10ft? and the rest.......... India meteorological center... really needs help their look useless, Sad part is the price for their incompetence is life's.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by lfcdude

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Cyclone Phailin: Mass evacuations in eastern India.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-24487130

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

Winds down to ~130kt now and pressure up to ~926 as its undergoing an eyewall replacement and getting land interaction as it gets close to landfall. Still very severe winds and of course the storm surge is already in motion for some time.

The good news is that it does seem like they have managed to evacuted a lot of people from the coastal areas.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Cyclone Phailin has killed at least 5 people so far

more than 500,000 evacuated

The cyclone has uprooted electricity poles and plunged the town of Gopalpur, the landfall point, into darkness.