Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere Temperature Watch 2013/2014

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

The GFS 18z is a totally crap run stratospherically, lets hope the GEFS mean is better with some members showing that split that was on the 6z and 12z op run at 10mb.

Not even a split by 384 now, on the 12z there was one by 274!!

http://www.instantweathermaps.com/GFS-php/showmap-strat.php?run=2014012318&var=HGT&lev=10mb&hour=384

Be interesting to find out what the ECM 32 run is suggesting.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted

GFS 18z at the 10hPa level temps peak on the 28th Jan @ -24 C with wave 1. But wave 2 pops up like a ninja two days later with -16c temps above the Ukraine (unless all the rioting and burning tyres has done this) The GFS has been showing temp rises intermittently for a month now over both areas.

Edited by KyleHenry
  • Like 2

Guest I'm a superstar

A polar vortex displacement is not better than polar vortex split i think? And what if the polar vortex is weaker than normal but still there, can that lead to cold or does it need to be a split or displacement?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

A polar vortex displacement is not better than polar vortex split i think? And what if the polar vortex is weaker than normal but still there, can that lead to cold or does it need to be a split or displacement?

Well a slowed down PV will give a higher chance for MLB/HLB to occur but it may not last as long.

Edited by Panayiotis

Posted

Well a slowed down PV will give a higher chance for MLB/HLB to occur but it may not last as long.

And also makes it vulnerable to further attacks, especially at this time of year.

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

i notice above in the post by chiono that wave 3 is mentioned and I was wondering if someone could plz give me a brief explanation of what wave 3 is and how to notice it in the charts as there seems to be a lot of it lately.

post-18233-0-29552500-1390589813_thumb.g

I think I have an idea of wave 1 and 2 so far with wave one being a single warming that tends to displace the vortex and wave 2 is two warmings that squeeze the vortex and is best for achieving a split vortex.

hope I am right.

but not noticed anyone showing any charts for wave 3.

thanks in advance to anyone who is willing to take there time to explain this and show me how to spot this within the charts.

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

i notice above in the post by chiono that wave 3 is mentioned and I was wondering if someone could plz give me a brief explanation of what wave 3 is and how to notice it in the charts as there seems to be a lot of it lately.

Posted Imagetime_pres_WAVE3_MEAN_JFM_NH_2014.gif

I think I have an idea of wave 1 and 2 so far with wave one being a single warming that tends to displace the vortex and wave 2 is two warmings that squeeze the vortex and is best for achieving a split vortex.

hope I am right.

but not noticed anyone showing any charts for wave 3.

thanks in advance to anyone who is willing to take there time to explain this and show me how to spot this within the charts.

Waves aren't warmings, BUS. They are exactly what we say they are, waves, and in this case extremely large planetary ones. A wave with a wavelength number of 1, if it starts at the UK, will have 1 peak and 1 trough as we pass through it around the NH before it arrives back at the UK.

Wave 1

post-4523-0-33004200-1390592675_thumb.gi

Ps probably would have been better to place the axis the other way to what i have constructed through the peak and trough!

A wave number two has peaks and troughs as demonstrated here:

post-4523-0-21837000-1390592998_thumb.pn

And so on and so forth. So a wave number three has three peaks and troughs - but these planetary waves are less easy to demonstrate.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

Waves aren't warmings, BUS. They are exactly what we say they are, waves, and in this case extremely large planetary ones. A wave with a wavelength number of 1, if it starts at the UK, will have 1 peak and 1 trough as we pass through it around the NH before it arrives back at the UK.

Wave 1

Posted Imageecmwf7a12.gif

Ps probably would have been better to place the axis the other way to what i have constructed through the peak and trough!

A wave number two has peaks and troughs as demonstrated here:

Posted Imageviewimage-2.png

And so on and so forth. So a wave number three has three peaks and troughs - but these planetary waves are less easy to demonstrate.

thanks for the reply and the charts for explanation they are very helpful.

still trying to get my head around the strat just haven't had the time to look into it in any detail as I have spent most of my time up till now trying to understand the trop but the way I am finding things out for next winter I think I will have to make more of an effort to get a better understanding of the strat as I was a bit sceptical about it all but having read through here this year it does seem pretty key to how we fair.

Posted

I was actually just about to post on wave 3 with graphics, but the power just went out. So now I wonder, how long does the post autosave last before it gets erased?

P.s.

The GEFS looks more and more wave 2-ish. Was planning to add it to the post, but now I cant for obvious reasons. :)

• Like 2

Posted

I was actually just about to post on wave 3 with graphics, but the power just went out. So now I wonder, how long does the post autosave last before it gets erased?

P.s.

The GEFS looks more and more wave 2-ish. Was planning to add it to the post, but now I cant for obvious reasons. Posted Image

So annoying that, I think that most on here have lost a long post one way or another!

Posted

Split at all levels from the start of low res onwards now on the 18z, it does reform right at the top of the strat but to nowhere near the strength and looks like a displacement underway at 1mb by then anyway.

Posted

Another great post from our technical expert, Andrej!

Interestingly when looking at the chart for the 9/1/13 that you have posted it is possible to see that the there are three waves superimposed on each other here and that was confirmed when I checked back on that date.

post-4523-0-71669200-1390603693_thumb.pn

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/stratosphere/strat-trop/gif_files/time_pres_WAVE1_MEAN_ALL_NH_2013.gif

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/stratosphere/strat-trop/gif_files/time_pres_WAVE2_MEAN_ALL_NH_2013.gif

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/stratosphere/strat-trop/gif_files/time_pres_WAVE2_MEAN_ALL_NH_2013.gif

• Like 1

Posted

I think it is a bit misleading to say that a wave is not a warming when clearly it is.If you see a wave a 50,30,10mb etc there will be a warming associated with it.

A change in geopotential height from wave activity is not a change in temperature, no matter how intrinsically the two may be linked so it is not misleading at all, cc. It is better to be accurate and differentiate between the two, so that confusion doesn't occur.

• Like 3

Posted

Signs continued strong wave 1/2 are starting to take its toll on the vortex, I;m suspecting this...

post-5114-0-81317200-1390630385_thumb.gi

could be just the tonic we need to at least stop any ideas of re-intensification and reformation the vortex may be having. Hopefully this forecast wave2 attack will increase in amplitude over the coming days as well.

High up responding well to this

post-5114-0-87105500-1390630119_thumb.gi

A bit further down towards the mid stratosphere, looking good as well

post-5114-0-04683400-1390630238_thumb.gi

post-5114-0-77716500-1390630681_thumb.gi

zonal wind forecast for this period looking very slack compared what has gone before this winter with a gradually more E-QBO look to the profile around the tropics 

post-5114-0-55640700-1390630721_thumb.gi

The only thing that continues not to work in our favour is the EPV

post-5114-0-31850300-1390631016_thumb.gi

Although a positive to be taken from the same chart is a continued gradual drop in wind speed at both the 10 and 30mb level.

• Like 3

Posted

although at day 10, we do have a split vortex above 10hpa from yesterday's run. inetresting to see that negative chunk of zonal flow seems to upwell from the trop and makes it a long way up to the extent that its olnly 15 degrees lat away from being a technical SSW. Surely something erroneous about that evolution?

Big wave 2 emanating from the trop in a weeks time. Seems to downwell its potential very effectively also.

simplistically, I would call this the best Berlin run so far.

• Like 3

Posted

Wonderful descriptive post from Recretos above suggesting how we can mak our own vortex with a bucket of water!

No surprise to see this ECM strat run with another increase in wave 2 activity. I have been expecting the ECM to pick this up. However, there are big differences in the way that the vortex splits and reforms when comparing the runs and I wouldn't be surprised to see these differences filter through to the trop. On a personal level, no SSW forecast just yet, but the stratosphere vortex is behaving how it was suggested it would do when using the previous years analogues. I feel that we are getting somewhere in being able to predict stratospheric conditions for the season ahead - however, translating that to tropospheric patterns is another ball game completely and a lot more work is needed there!

• Like 7

Posted

Doesn't the polar vortex naturally weaken through February regardless of how the strat is behaving. To see any reintensification of the PV to the reach the same degree we saw it behave at the start of the year would be unusual. Indeed its strength at the end of last year was as strong as it get.

Also I know its a long way off, but I have heard a number of murmerings that next winter will see far more conducive signals for a warmer strat and probably a weaker PV..

• Like 3

Posted

Doesn't the polar vortex naturally weaken through February regardless of how the strat is behaving. To see any reintensification of the PV to the reach the same degree we saw it behave at the start of the year would be unusual. Indeed its strength at the end of last year was as strong as it get.

Also I know its a long way off, but I have heard a number of murmerings that next winter will see far more conducive signals for a warmer strat and probably a weaker PV..

East QBO, dropping solar flare and El Nino would be a very nice start to winter next year.

Edit: 06z giving us incredible temperature charts by the way. I think it might have picked up on the wave-2 signal Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Snowy L
  • Like 1

Posted