Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere Temperature Watch 2013/2014

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

^^

I stand to be corrected but as i understand it an SSW is actually defined by the reversal of zonal mean winds from Westerlies to Easterlies at 60N and 10hpa, rather than the actual temperatures, although a sudden rise in temps is what causes it. so you cant tell by that chart as that is only at 2mb and only shows temps.

This is the best chart to demonstrate this point.

On this chart RED = Westerliies and blue = Easterlies, the number down the left is the level of atmosphere and along the bottom shows the latitude, so where the 60 degree line and 10hpa line meet its shows red, if it showed blue that would be an SSW.

Posted Image

EDIT  : While your online, thanks very much Recretos for plotting the GEFS mean 10mb temp charts, i know they are your own plots but just wondering what site you actually get the data from, so i can look it up myself in future?

-

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 5

Posted

First I have to apologise for not plotting the MJO composites, because I had some other priorities. 

To answer blizzard:

I get data from the NCEP FTP servers. :) http://www.ftp.ncep.noaa.gov/data/nccf/com/

Regards.

• Like 2

Posted

First I have to apologise for not plotting the MJO composites, because I had some other priorities. 

To answer blizzard:

I get data from the NCEP FTP servers. Posted Image http://www.ftp.ncep.noaa.gov/data/nccf/com/

Regards.

Cheers, looks like i cant open them, my computer is naff but will have another go tomorrow, thanks though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall in particular but most aspects of weather, hate hot and humid.

is that a split vortex we are looking at on the 06z GFS at 384hrs?

Posted Image

Edited by mcweather

Posted

is that a split vortex we are looking at on the 06z GFS at 384hrs?

Posted Image

A very shortlived split (ish) signature at 100hPa just before this trop chart. At these levels the stratosphere is severly influenced by the troposphere and in my view it's way too early to search for splits at the >100hPa level. The tropospheric (especially in lower levels) output varies wildy from run to run after the Asian warming currently peaking at ~300hrs. Will we see the Asian warming ramp up, or do we switch to a wave-2 pattern? Too early to tell and frankly, I am waiting for the Asian warming to show up in the Berlin graphs before making any calls on the lower strat. Btw: upper strat temperatures significantly lower this morning when compared to the previous GFS runs. 

Posted Image

Edited by Ruben Amsterdam

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall in particular but most aspects of weather, hate hot and humid.

A very shortlived split (ish) signature at 100hPa just before this trop chart. At these levels the stratosphere is severly influenced by the troposphere and in my view it's way too early to search for splits at the >100hPa level. The tropospheric (especially in lower levels) output varies wildy from run to run after the Asian warming currently peaking at ~300hrs. Will we see the Asian warming ramp up, or do we switch to a wave-2 pattern? Too early to tell and frankly, I am waiting for the Asian warming to show up in the Berlin graphs before making any calls on the lower strat. Btw: upper strat temperatures significantly lower this morning when compared to the previous GFS runs. 

Posted Image

Thanks Ruben.

The only words of caution I will throw in at this stage (something I commented on last week too) is that with Wave 1 displacements it can be a bit of a lottery. What we are hoping for is that the vortex becomes displaced towards the Siberian/Scandinavian sector as the Wave 1 takes effect. But it would be foolish not to point out the risk of any potential Wave 1 displacement simply pushing the cyclogenesis associated with the upper vortex in to the Atlantic and leaving us in need of a minor miracle (secondary minor warmings could potentially provide such a service). At this stage that all remains conjecture as nobody can tell the exact longwave setup across the Northern Hemisphere for early February this far in advance, but it is a risk that we should be prepared for.

One thing to bear in mind is that more splits tend to occur following large wave 1 anomalies than wave 2 (i.e. wave 1 is more common) - see Harada et al http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/pdf/10.1175/2009JAS3320.1 and confirmed by examining the MERRA data. Seeing wave 1 forecast doesn't necessarily mean displacement.

Edited by Interitus
  • Like 2

Posted

One thing to bear in mind is that more splits tend to occur following large wave 1 anomalies than wave 2 (i.e. wave 1 is more common) - see Harada et al http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/pdf/10.1175/2009JAS3320.1 and confirmed by examining the MERRA data. Seeing wave 1 forecast doesn't necessarily mean displacement.

I'll have to have a full read through when I get a chance but that's both interesting and encouraging to hear!

SK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

I posted in the MOD thread a couple of times in the last week or so about the possibilities of further vortex energy transport back across the pole in association with the trop/stratosphere events and summarised the risks if wave 1 activity wasn't strong enough either/ and/or was not followed up soon by wave 2 activity.

Its a case of keeping watching and waiting - the current model disposition towards attempted trough disruption in association with the Scandi High is encouraging on the basis of just one meaningful attack so far on what has been a very organised and strong vortex, much as posted earlier today.

Upcoming wave 1 activity could then be viewed more positively in terms of risks of vorticity being pushed into the atlantic if energy is transported across the pole from Canada to Siberia. (If that was/is to be the evolution) With the presence of heights remaining to the NE and a continued programme of trough disruption then might we not see amplification in the atlantic behind such trough disruption and then ridging extending and linking across to pull those heights westward. The downside risk is energy transported instead through the northern arm of the jet stream if split energy is inadequate and there is insufficient zonal wind reduction, but we already have some split flow with further zonal wind reduction to come. That was the gist also of my posts in the last week. 

It at least represents the better scenario. The energy budget/zonal wind reduction will determine the outcome. We keep watching in the days to come, but further warmings will become apparent as wavelengths continue to lengthen.

Of course an outright SSW would be the biggest weapon, rather than any drip feed of smaller wave activity events and the shorter winter season ticking by. Though even these cannot guarantee cold for a small island. Much as we already knowPosted Image

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Reading between the lines it doesn't look too good. Perhaps everybody is looking too far out and need to look at a different time period closer say t168???

Posted

Reading between the lines it doesn't look too good. Perhaps everybody is looking too far out and need to look at a different time period closer say t168???

On the contary I think things are shaping up excellently for a cracking last fewweeks of winter but that is just how I see things playing out so to speak.

Posted

On the contary I think things are shaping up excellently for a cracking last fewweeks of winter but that is just how I see things playing out so to speak.

Do you (or anyone other regular on here for that matter) think that the warming shown on recent runs  on our side of the pole while the other side continued warming may be the start of some wave 2 activity?  One downside is the warming does seem to be subsiding at 1mb now.

Posted

The strongest warming at 10mb of the day out of the 4 runs.

Posted Image

Although Vortex remains firmly in tact and over the pole though I cant help thinking that surely that warming would have to have an effect if it verified.

http://www.instantweathermaps.com/GFS-php/showmap-strat.php?run=2014011618&var=HGT&lev=10mb&hour=384

Particularly as the 1mb chart looks very good.

http://www.instantweathermaps.com/GFS-php/showmap-strat.php?run=2014011618&var=TMP&lev=1mb&hour=384

All speculation of course at that range and cant help feeling that 10mb chart is an outlier rather than a new trend, the other charts of today are far less pronounced and the warming spread over different areas.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted

Like the Berlin output. Zonal winds low down look great and the strat split as high as 20hpa late on . Would be nice to see that repeat, especially when we have a monster depression headed east at the same timescale (could do with that hitting ed's invisible split vortex brick wall!)

• Like 1

Posted

Like the Berlin output. Zonal winds low down look great and the strat split as high as 20hpa late on . Would be nice to see that repeat, especially when we have a monster depression headed east at the same timescale (could do with that hitting ed's invisible split vortex brick wall!)

Yes, very encouraging with a nice split in the lower strat. Although wave-2 activity is deminishing overall, wave-2 is still active/present in the lower strat/trop. In fact, it may be the highest wave-2 activity lower down I have seen this winter.

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!

Hey all, is this what wave-2 activity looks like?

Posted Image

With 2 different centres of warming at opposite sides of the vortex?