Cold?
IGNORED

Possible severe storm Monday 28th October 2013

Coast

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

We're outside the zone of real interest but a slight wobble north would get us. Just looks like we're going to get wet that's all.

Posted

Most models downgrade intensity of storm this morning and push system slightly further south.

Nothing major on this mornings output.

Major sigh of relief at the MetOffice.

- of course this is still a significant weather event but nothing too exceptional

Edited by Matty M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Most models downgrade intensity of storm this morning and push system slightly further south.Nothing major on this mornings output.Major sigh of relief at the MetOffice.- of course this is still a significant weather event but nothing too exceptional

Ian F of the met office doesn't seem to put that point across this morning?@fergieweather: W COUNTRY: Morning all. Latest UKMO analysis still v similar for Sun-Mon. Strongest winds still expected Lyme Bay/Dorset/S Som (70-80+mph)..
  • Like 3

Posted

Most models downgrade intensity of storm this morning and push system slightly further south. Nothing major on this mornings output. Major sigh of relief at the MetOffice. - of course this is still a significant weather event but nothing too exceptional

No noticeable difference that I can see from last night - no sigh of relief here

Posted

Ian F of the met office doesn't seem to put that point across this morning?@fergieweather: W COUNTRY: Morning all. Latest UKMO analysis still v similar for Sun-Mon. Strongest winds still expected Lyme Bay/Dorset/S Som (70-80+mph)..

Of course there is likely still to be gusts in that range. This is still a significant storm but i feel this morning the models have taken away the 'extreme' element for the time being, Could all change once developments get underway.

• Like 1

Posted

Unusual to have an amber warning this early, I wonder if this could be a stonker or not.

its  looking  bad  will not be surprised  to see it go red by  sunday

• Like 1

Posted

Most models downgrade intensity of storm this morning and push system slightly further south.

- of course this is still a significant weather event but nothing too exceptional

Huh? 0Z GFS is just 1mb weaker than the 18Z and has pretty much the exact same track. More like minor run to run variation than a downgrade.

The GEM upgrades the storm rather than downgrading it (see above)

UKMO looks the same as the 12Z run to me, 980-970mb.

0Z ECM is 975mb at 48 hours, will have to wait on other sites to see the frames between 48-72.

Edited by radiohead
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

This must be a nightmare for the pros to predict the low hasn't even formed yet so no one truly knows what the final outcome will be I think we will see all kinds of charts today as the models try and get a grip on the track and intensity of the storm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

its  looking  bad  will not be surprised  to see it go red by  sunday

yes its only once they know for definite the areas involved that they will issue red.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

This must be a nightmare for the pros to predict the low hasn't even formed yet so no one truly knows what the final outcome will be I think we will see all kinds of charts today as the models try and get a grip on the track and intensity of the storm

From what I understand from the Met point of view, track is fairly nailed on, but it's timing that is their biggest headache right now, ie will it hit when everyone's in bed or when the most populated areas of the uk will be on the way to work.

Posted

Actually the depression has just started forming around the Bermuda area. Flying across the North Atlantic as we speak.

A bit further north than that now, you can see it as the 1010mb low in the Atlantic off the coast of Canada here :

http://meteocentre.com/analyses/map.php?map=eur_full&date=2013102606&size=large〈=en&area=eur

That updates hourly. Nice to track it as it makes it away over the Atlantic. It's a blend of surface observations and model data.

• Like 1

Sorry, but this still looks quite worrying from where I'm standing.

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Of course there is likely still to be gusts in that range. This is still a significant storm but i feel this morning the models have taken away the 'extreme' element for the time being, Could all change once developments get underway.

I disagree with that idea. Using the Met O Fax chart there has been no noticeable change in its depth at 00z and 12z Sunday nor out to 12z Monday as it tracks across the UK. This is likely to be, other than us actually tracking it in real time, the best idea of just where the low is going to track and its depth as it does so. The idea of damaging winds on its southern flank remains highly probable. Red alerts would seem a possibility from Met as the actual time approaches. This morning does suggest a very minor shift south but nothing more.

The low can now be tracked as it crosses the Atlantic using web sites with surface data, or infra red satellite shots, both stills and moview camera types. As it nears the UK then some weather buoys will aloow us to see how rapidly it is deepening before it comes on to land.

this for its probable position although it is a computer generated chart and can sometimes show wrong positions but by watching it hour to hour one can discount any erroneous plots.

http://meteocentre.com/analyse/map.php?map=eur_full&date=2013102607&size=standard〈=en&area=eur

The buoy data here

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/maps/France.shtml

and sat data

http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/auth.html

you will need to register but it is free

this one allows you to follow its movement in real time

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

Sorry to sound daft Radiated as I am no weather expert, but that track looks quite high. Is it still on course as before or has it moved?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

Sorry predictive text. Was speaking to Rediohead but I think these maps answer my question.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Based on all the discussions this morning and preceding days hope netweather the site is readr for more traffic tomorrow ... I feel all eyes will be on the discussion thread and model outputs.. Maybe even some newbies. I do wonder even if the isobars are tightly packed over Uk how much the influence of our land topography is taken into the models.. Ie it does tend to dissipate or reduce the wind speeds across uk. I think our forecasts do take that into account though don't they?

Posted

Wrap up your posts peeps, new thread coming shortly!