Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible Storm This Weekend Discussion

Skullzrulerz

Posted

A huge gust and crash here, think the neighbours fence has gone, leaves flying everywhere.

It took the Met Office until 4am to issue only a yellow warning for this??

What about the greenhouse?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

No this storm has not been under warned... this time of year this is pretty common  

Trees are down as I have been told today by a Gardner because the top foot of soil is sodden, but the roots are in very dry earth giving them hardly anything to push them over 

you are wrong ..the warnings for last weeks storm were in abundance ..yes we were warned it would be "windy" ..but 84mph just recorded in Mumbles ..!!! jeez

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

you are wrong ..the warnings for last weeks storm were in abundance ..yes we were warned it would be "windy" ..but 84mph just recorded in Mumbles ..!!! jeez

99mph was recorded at the Needles, IoW on Monday but as it's a very exposed point on the coast, it doesn't pose a threat like 70mph+ inland. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

No this storm has not been under warned... this time of year this is pretty common  

Trees are down as I have been told today by a Gardner because the top foot of soil is sodden, but the roots are in very dry earth giving them hardly anything to push them over 

Strongly disagree - it IS under warned and proves the southern bias IMHO - no mistaking it now. Winds down south caused trees to fall which caused most of the damage - from the reports on here there is no difference is there - trees are uprooting?  Apart from the distinct lack of warnings?

Edited by P-M
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

The sad thing is, my non weather loving housemate was more aware of the storm last week (which was never going to affect us up here, even though she assumed it would, from the media coverage) than she is of this evening's potential storminess. She's just set off for Liverpool so I had to warn her 70mph gusts could be possible later!

Posted

xcweather showing low at 976mb at 15:38

Posted

Could the mods remove any posts that start waffling on about a 'southern bias' please? It's really not necessary and it causes arguments.  

• Like 2

The biggest gust yet just now, blown over the cast iron garden table and several chairs, wheely bin blown over too, pots etc flying everywhere. Torrential rain as well, a good day for sheltering indoors. My garden looks like a bomb site!

Edited by Bobby

Posted

The sad thing is, my non weather loving housemate was more aware of the storm last week (which was never going to affect us up here, even though she assumed it would, from the media coverage) than she is of this evening's potential storminess. She's just set off for Liverpool so I had to warn her 70mph gusts could be possible later!

I no mate I said earlier in the week that because londons not really affected there not much coverage in the media and I got grief on here for it. Its a far more widespread storm than Monday and it looks like its hitting are neck of the woods later. I'm off to Liverpool tommorow to watch everton so hope it's calmed down by morning

Posted

Could the mods remove any posts that start waffling on about a 'southern bias' please? It's really not necessary and it causes arguments.  

If you are referring to my post use the ignore feature - I am stating clear facts so unless you can give some facts to prove otherwise then best use that feature.  This is a weather forum where we are discussing a real and serious matter of erm....weather warnings in relation to this storm?

• Like 5

Indeed there is no Southern Bias, but a bias towards the South East of England IMO.

By the way if this breaks any rules I can understand if it is deleted.

• Like 4

Posted

If you are referring to my post use the ignore feature - I am stating clear facts so unless you can give some facts to prove otherwise then best use that feature.  This is a weather forum where we are discussing a real and serious matter of erm....weather warnings in relation to this storm?

If you haven't noticed, there are weather warnings in force. The constant bickering over north v south becomes tiresome and it's really not needed, it has been mentioned time and time again, not just by me or other members, but by moderators as well. Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Heat thundersnow heatwaves and freezing fog

Getting a bit gusty here had a squall past through half hour ago very autumnal feeling outide :)

Posted

Conditions about an hour ago, much worse here now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coQDW7bYoZM

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

This is already turning out worse than St Jude and hasn't even begun for me yet! Wind is really beginning to put the trees to the test and can feel the gusts starting to shake the house.

• Like 1

Posted

Just arrived in Porthcawl For a firework party tonight at the in-laws after being blown around on the M4. The farmhouse over looks the seafront from a distance and the waves look quite impressive from here! Gonna pop down and have a closer looking a bit.

Posted

If you haven't noticed, there are weather warnings in force. The constant bickering over north v south becomes tiresome and it's really not needed, it has been mentioned time and time again, not just by me or other members, but by moderators as well. Posted Image

It is not  personal attack against southern members though - it is clear that looking at some of the wind speeds recorded and the damage reports coming in there should be more than a measly yellow warning out.  How about if it was in your neck of the woods and a yellow warning was out but you ended up with severe gale forced winds and a tree through your house?  Would you think the warnings were ample?  All I am saying is that what is good for one area of the country should be good enough for everywhere else despite this "well x millions live in the south east"  I am not trying to cause an argument mate just stating a fact.  

Seriously it is a fair comment to make man, this is not meant to be an attack on southerners!

• Like 3

Posted

For what it's worth I can understand the increased media coverage when strong winds hit the SE due to such weather being more infrequent and affecting a larger population, but the Met Office have a duty to treat all parts of the country the same when it comes to issuing warnings.

Of course they may just have made a genuine mistake in misforecasting the storm rather than simply ignoring the affected areas. I myself have been caught out by it because I wasn't online yesterday and didn't follow the low's progress.

Anyway, I'm about to head into town to meet a friend. I'm going to bring my camera along.

Edited by AderynCoch

Posted

Just arrived in Porthcawl For a firework party tonight at the in-laws after being blown around on the M4. The farmhouse over looks the seafront from a distance and the waves look quite impressive from here! Gonna pop down and have a closer looking a bit.

i'm on trecco bay tonight!! high tide around 5pm stay off the pierPosted Image

Posted

Another reason I think there's being a lack of warnings and media attraction is that Monday's storm was on a weekday in rush hour

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Already looking like a deeper L.P system and with a stronger gust already recorded (84mph) than anything on land that Sundays storm produced.

A media frenzy because of potential 90mph gusts over London that never came to fruition.An unremakable Low really that showed its teeth instead over Scandanavia.

Had the preceeding weather been dry and trees not in leaf the only real talking points would of been a few fence panels down and stray wheelie bins.