Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 13/11/13 >

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

A few minutes ago I talked about the high to our south west possibly forcing the low across Greenland erasing the northern blocking and here it is

Posted Image

Cold for some but becoming less cold from the west

Posted Image

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Day 10 we lose the heights to the N but I'm guessing there will be many more twists and turns to await us in the next few days

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Its obvious to my untrained eye that the models are having a nightmare predicting what is going to happen with the short waves and until it is resolved they will keep flipping back and forth as today has showed i expect further changes good or bad who knows, its going to be a bumpy ride, fasten your seat belts lol

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

it's like i said last night we should hold on to our horses before we recall 2010 how ever interesting forecast by the met for next 2weeks or so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

yes snowman im serious but by no means mild.

but I will hold out from making anymore second guessing fi model runs because im on the fence for December but theres nothing in the model outputs that showed anything like lastnight infact this is the most dramatic turn around ive seen for sometime.

but if I was going to have a punt it would be cool settled next week unsettled later in the week with low pressure systems moving in from the west but possibly settled again as azore high pressure moves in beyond that I ask mystic meg.

now ive seen the last frame of the ecm settled for a short time then back to unsettled never above average temp wise and as steve suggest cold surface temps if models are right with there outputs.

and sorry yes December 2010.

Edited by model rollercoaster

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

If anything, the fact that the models keep changing is reassuring, as it shows that a pattern shift is under way, whatever that may be. I suppose it's quite fun to think of all the different runs and charts as parallel universes! The further out from the present you go, the more vastly different the options become, because small differences now mean big changes later! It is these small differences that are currently evolving that are giving us and the models a headache!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

If anything, the fact that the models keep changing is reassuring, as it shows that a pattern shift is under way, whatever that may be. I suppose it's quite fun to think of all the different runs and charts as parallel universes! The further out from the present you go, the more vastly different the options become, because small differences now mean big changes later! It is these small differences that are currently evolving that are giving us and the models a headache!

Sounds just like my wife!!!Posted Image Posted Image Good point tho joePosted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Everyone please note: bandwidth is not infinite; silly posts of one word + a smiley are not ideal...at least when they're more frequent than snow drifts...Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

All the big 3 show reasonably similar synoptics now at 144hrs. Gone is the very wintry setup touted by both GFS and ECM across the last 24hrs, but none of these charts are remotely mild, in fact many place will be cold or even very cold for the time of year IF they verify. 

Given the swing we've seen in the outputs across the last 24hrs I see no point in posting T192hr and T+216hr charts just because they show another possible return to cold, especially as future HLB looks further away now than it has for some time. 

ECM

Posted Image

UKMO

Posted Image

GFS

Posted Image

Edited by shedhead

Posted

Sounds just like my wife!!!Posted Image Posted Image Good point tho joePosted Image

Thanks... I think :p I've never been compared to anyone's wife before! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

I think we need to look at the long range anomaly charts for a clearer picture in the

next couple of weeks NOAA and JMA both say no to a return of anything zonal and

still show a blocked picture, Mid latitude at least.

Shotski

post-9329-0-54929300-1384542674_thumb.gi

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

So the ECM signals the end of a short lived cold snap

Posted Image

See what 0z brings then. Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

I'm not sure that the expectations up to midweek next week have suggested anything more than an atlantic ridge at any time - only the degree of amplification has been open to question in this respect. There is no-one on here or even at the METO that precisely can measure or prophesy how exact jet energy equations in a split flow scenario are going to impact on this tiny island which sits in what is a very large NH on the macro scale.  Therefore any carrot and stick analogy is redundantly void and impotent. Assuming that the day 4 to 6 period is coming into some king of agreement - and with that said, it can actually be argued in terms of tonights model suggestions (overall) that there is still room for adjustment which just as conceivably might involve a small amount of amplification adjustment increase (as the pendulum swings back just a little once again) as any flatter solution. On this basis, the evolution from midweek to a second possibly more southward and westward advancing cold air advection is completely within bounds and attuned to the METO further outlook suggestions of pressure higher to the north and lower over the nearby continent in the latter part of this month. Unless anyone on here claims to have further current data to claim otherwise

I couldn't agree more .What makes me astonished more than the models tonight is how everybody on hear so completely waving this cold spell good bye after one bad run of models, yes they are all singing on the same hyme sheet but no different to the astonishing charts they all chucked out together this last 3 days or so. Is not quite possible that they will look completely different again in the morning? Iv just read a comment in the winter thread now claiming unless we have big strat changes in next few weeks (they obviously have no idea on what's been said today in the strat thread) then we can wave good bye to December. I have never read so much rubbish . What makes the charts any more right tonight than what they was yesterday? I fail to understand why people do this evey single year .All we no is it's getting cold. And staying cold.The professionals are talking of the possibility of prolonged cold, why the hell Ian would the bbc change there forecasts after ONE set of runs?
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Latest on the models from Gibby

All models show a slack flow over the UK with a ridge of High pressure lying across Central regions. To the SE of it some clear skies allow frost and fog to form tonight while the North, on the other side of the ridge see cloudier, milder Westerly winds but mostly dry weather. With time over the weekend the cloudier weather in the NW wins out covering all areas by Sunday. At that time a trough sinking South over the UK could bring some rain to many areas as it moves North to South through the day. On Monday a more active feature sinks South too with a cold NW flow with scattered wintry showers following mostly over Northern and Western areas on Tuesday.

GFS then keeps things rather cold and showery for a time through the middle of next week with some snowfall over the hills before High pressure develops over the UK with frost and freezing fog likely to become a major problem later in the week as pressure builds across from the Atlantic. Later in the run details are irrelevant but the trend shows Low pressure gradually taking control from the SW with rain at times in rather cold conditions but snow only likely on high ground in more Northern Britain. It looks like it will stay quite chilly feeling though.

UKMO shows High pressure building quickly over the UK later next week following Low pressure moving away South from Southern Britain midweek. Rain and wintry showers will affect Southern areas for a time midweek with snow on the higher hills briefly. Temperatures would be cold everywhere and particularly in the High pressure area later in the week frost and freezing fog will become a big issue, difficult to shift through the days.

GEM shows a cold NW, North then NE flow next week and while it will never be cold enough for snow generally it will feel cold enough in a raw wind with sunshine and wintry showers, especially in the North at first and the South and East later. Pressure becomes very high to the NW and with a serious injection of cold air approaching Eastern areas at the end of the run possibly grazing the SE for a time.

NAVGEM maintains High pressure to the North and then West as we move through next week with the innitial North flow with wintry showers quickly turning North-easterly across the South with rain or sleet at times briefly. Late in the run winds back Northerly again as the cold theme continues with some wintry showers in the North and East a week from now.

ECM tonight shows a chilly NW flow with showers, wintry on hills in the North and West. Soon after midweek High pressure builds in killing the showers and cold wind and a frosty and potentially foggy spell develops as the High sits over the South of the UK.As it moves slowly East late in the run a small Low sinks SE down to the SW with dull and damp weather likely for a time while others stay misty or foggy and cold. The NW would see milder SW winds encroaching by Day 10 as the Jet Stream rides North with Greenland Low pressure developing.  

The GFS Ensembles tonight show a short cold snap before the general average of members suggest a milder trend from the mid and end sections of the run. Average level temperatures are then popularly shown with rain at times as the Atlantic gradually regains momentum.The Jet Stream tonight blows across the North for the next day or so before buckling South as the weather turns colder early next week. Longer term tonight the Northern arm of the Jet appears to remain stronger than on recent outputs and carries East across the Atlantic and across the UK in a week or so time.

In Summary tonight there has been a cross the board downgrade today if it's snow you are after, not that away from higher ground in the North it ever looked like a major problem to be brutally honest. However, High pressure over the UK is likely to promote colder temperatures at the surface with sharp frosts and freezing fog much more likely to feature next week now rather than sleet and snow. It's seems the behavior and the track of the Jet flow has changed in it's more up to date projections with a UK based Jet flow shown after next week instead of being at a point South of the UK being shown yesterday. The net result looks like a period of UK high pressure giving fog and frost but with little high level blocking in evidence tonight from GFS and ECM it looks like a steady road towards the Atlantic train before too long.

http://www.norton-radstockweather.co.uk/Model-Analysis%282859336%29.htm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Sorry folks, but point scoring/digging etc doesn't belong in here.

If you want to vent your frustration at tonights run, then by all means, read the chart analysis in here, but please type your frustration in the Ramp thread. 

Ta!

When there is some. Posted Image Posted Image

• Like 4

Posted

I'm not sure that the expectations up to midweek next week have suggested anything more than an atlantic ridge at any time - only the degree of amplification has been open to question in this respect. There is no-one on here or even at the METO that precisely can measure or prophesy how exact jet energy equations in a split flow scenario are going to impact on this tiny island which sits in what is a very large NH on the macro scale. 

Therefore any carrot and stick analogy is redundantly void and impotent.

Assuming that the day 4 to 6 period is coming into some king of agreement - and with that said, it can actually be argued in terms of tonights model suggestions (overall) that there is still room for adjustment which just as conceivably might involve a small amount of amplification adjustment increase (as the pendulum swings back just a little once again) as any flatter solution.

On this basis, the evolution from midweek to a second possibly more southward and westward advancing cold air advection is completely within bounds and attuned to the METO further outlook suggestions of pressure higher to the north and lower over the nearby continent in the latter part of this month. Unless anyone on here claims to have further current data to claim otherwise

Therefore any carrot and stick analogy is redundantly void and impotent. Posted Image

I kinda think you missed the point I was making at the time, which was if you keep looking to 192 and 216hr charts for hope as Steve was at that time, it very much matched his carrot and stick avatar.

Posted

I think we need to look at the long range anomaly charts for a clearer picture in the

next couple of weeks NOAA and JMA both say no to a return of anything zonal and

still show a blocked picture, Mid latitude at least.

Shotski

See this sort of thinking is exactly what is needed! Long term trends carry more value than small details when we are looking at anything after t72. We can start looking for wintry specifics when we get nearer to the time, but right now things are heading in the right direction. But that depends how impatient we are!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

Posted Image

Regardless of specifics, which are nigh on impossible to predict, it is the re-occurrence of charts like this that explain my optimism. Clearly the models want high pressure to form somewhere in the North Atlantic, reflected in the height anomaly charts. It's where exactly that makes the difference. The issue is that tiny details can overcomplicate matters and so this is why trend spotting is a more intelligent idea rather than losing all sense of reality every time a chart is not so good for cold, or equally if it is fantastic for cold. We must use our heads and our experience! 

Wise words. Over the years many on here get wrapped up in too much detail run to run. We must step back and take an overview here - back at the start of November many were calling for a pretty flat pattern through until December. I called the same myself though I saw it more of a NW than W pattern and wasnt sure where the meto call of an above average November was coming from. IB used the word "zonal" about 4 times in one night, calling it game over for the month.

Where are we now? Details aside the whole global circulation pattern is much more meridional than many expected, and we have blocking in both the atlantic and pacific sectors that is giving the vortex a hard time. Suddenly we are not seeing low pressure firing out of Canada and there is a sense of a stalling atlantic pattern in the air. Final juicy mouthful is the meto update which is clearly an upgrade in terms of snow potential.

Enjoy the ride, but dont get stuck on detail. And revel in the fact that many people, including myself, may well have misjudged the next 4 - 5 weeks. As ever time will tell. It's only Nov 15 and I dont think realistically think we could have hoped for much better when you recall where we were 2 - 3 weeks ago. Just to remind you how it was only 12 days ago!

Posted Image

Edited by Catacol_Highlander
  • Like 4