Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 13/11/13 >

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

The question must be asked why their website which is so promoted by forecasters is so different to forecasts John, sorry but they shouldn't be. 

BFTP

Blast - what do you mean here? Are you saying that their forecasts should match the operational runs of the models? Surely their output DOES do that .... its just that we dont get access to extended Mogreps which is the model they trust.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Nearly all GEFS ensembles show that PV is taking a serious beating which in my head does scream a non-stop zonal train.

Posted Image

This is the warmest chart at 192.

Posted Image

Still the warmest chart same ensemble member but the PV is almost dead and there is plenty of chances there.

If I was a betting man I would say around Christmas is the most likely time for the westerlies to return.

Then it will be back to square one from there.

From CURRENT models the overall trend after next week is cool and chilly with showers at times not a great bit of precip around from then on its anyone's guess, but the main thing is the PV remains disrupted as we head through November into the Start of December.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

im running through all the models watching the animations what I see is the mid alantic high to far south and on nearly all the models its the same,

its allowing low pressure systems to run over the top eventually there is nowhere for the high pressure to go it just pivots around its awful but was so close to amazing.

but hey that's the models.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Somehow stumbled upon the good old NOGAPS model and found its ensembles suite.

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

We are all blessed with so much data ,charts, being able to get meteorological information at the click of a mouse .fantastic advances have been made over the past years BUT past that 7 day 168 hrs everything then starts to get very complicated .every single chart we see is subject to error .some of my best snowfalls in 2010 only showed up on fax charts 24 hrs out ,i am fairly confident with the extended outlook staying on the cold  side and todays charts by tomorrow could be back on the side of cold lovers .i do like the last 3 frames of ECM tonight ,could be wrong or could be right ,but they are showing for a reason and could very easily disappear and pop up again in a few days .And today is Mid November so gang remember another two weeks of autumn then we have 282 modell runs of ECM and MET OFFICE and double GFS so plenty of nail biting times to come .I personally think the weather in northern Hemisphere is about to get interesting and tricky ,so hang on in there and lets enjoy .I always expect the unexpected in our science and that helps me overcome those prozack feelings ,,could be an interesting 120hr FAX this evening ,take care all Posted Image Posted Image

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

JH is the voice of reason, another great set of output today for the time of year, let's not forget it's still autumn for two more weeks. I see an arctic blast for the first half of next week, slowly weakening by thursday, at least for northern uk as atlantic high pressure ridges across scotland later next week with brighter but frosty conditions but continuing cold and unsettled further south and east. Then the possibility of another wintry reload by the end of next week with the cold pattern continually renewing itself well into december.

My challenge to you Frosty (if you choose to accept) is to not mention Autumn, November or time of year for the rest of the weekend. ;)
  • Like 1

Posted

Apparently, if i say that the ens have been leading the ops on the upcoming two weeks then its banter, a moan or a ramp??? Whats all that about?

I was merely trying to calm a few nerves after the 12z ops. What have they done over the past week to earn our trust?

Some consistency over a few runs might change that but for the time being, the ens (especially the ecm) should be where our attention lies.

• Like 6

Posted

Interesting to note that the NAEFS at day 5 out-performs the GFS op run.

Who knows what the pub run is about to churn out.Posted Image 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

NE rather than NW?

post-12721-0-81243700-1384551085_thumb.jpost-12721-0-47373300-1384551092_thumb.j

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

gfs 18z t12 looks amazing already just joking trying to lighten the mood it could well be many things that have thrown it all up in the air I for one am disappointed with todays models but I think the most disappointing part was the downgrades for nextweek  although atleast theres no mild muck.

heres to the 18z Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

I am pretty sure that the models just downgraded just to keep us coldies excitement away. I hope it will change for the better tomorrow for us coldies. Fingers crossed.

Posted Image

Edited by pip22
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

18z rolling now and we've got some shiny newly updated servers to keep the forum running nice and smoothly, so let's try to keep it friendly please Posted Image

Latest GFS

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=nwdc;sess=

Unless the servers downgrade Posted Image

Sorry couldn't resist that one liner.

GFS out to T60 and already there is better amplification towards Greenland

Posted Image

Previous run

Posted Image

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Out to 60 hours and the GFS is ever so slightly sharper with the jet to the west of the UK. Ok, some people may wonder why such a small change should be pointed out.....but a sharper jet profile sees the high ever so slightly further west and should allow a bit more cold to infiltrate with this first bite Tuesday and Wednesday.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!

18z looking more amplified at +72 hours

edit: oops, realised I haven't really added anything to what has already been said :doh: 

Edited by weatherguy
  • Like 1

Posted

In our Spanish forum it has always been said that 00Z and 12Z runs are more realible because they include more data (the data gathered by the radiosondes - weather ballons). For example, in all my year watching the GFS runs I have noticed that in 06z and 18z runs it moves everything a little bit to the west, whereas in 00z and 12z runs it moves everything a little bit to the east again.

Any thougths about this?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Yes 18z much better!

Posted Image

Vertical isobars giving us the northerly on the 18Z instead of the tilted isobars in the 12z which gave us the NW.

As a result at 96hrs we have -8C reaching the south and I wonder if that will low will pay us a visit?

Posted Image

post-17320-0-60961300-1384552917_thumb.p

Edited by Panayiotis
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Out to 60 hours and the GFS is ever so slightly sharper with the jet to the west of the UK. Ok, some people may wonder why such a small change should be pointed out.....but a sharper jet profile sees the high ever so slightly further west and should allow a bit more cold to infiltrate with this first bite Tuesday and Wednesday.

Exactly, the consequences are huge, next Tuesday the previous output had the -8C isotherm grazing North East Scotland, this run it's already down to the North Midlands and advancing

Posted Image

Areas close to exposed coasts could wake up to a dusting Wednesday morning based on this Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 3