Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 17th Dec.2013-12z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Anybody know what the actual overnight charts produced and what the GFS 6z was showing. Posted Image  Whatever, peace to all men and women, enjoy the festivities and please also have those in our hearts whom have suffered and will continue to suffer due to the unpleasantries of recent weather events. Posted Image

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 3

Posted

likewise the same can be said about those only looking at cold in FI. The country has/is being battered by storms and yet there has been precious little discussion about anything inside the reliable timeframe of late. I'm not feeling very charitable this morning after last night and discovering the water that leaked down our chimney!

So, in the reliable there is nothing but more wind and rain which are going to cause more problems. Fridays low looks a little less intense further south but still looking bad further north.

Posted Image

There are some very serious issues to still to come with flooding and damage to trees/property at what is not the ideal time of the year. Let's not overlook that. 

In the meantime while we wait for it to snow in FI December and one third of winter has gone. Certain posters got lambasted for suggesting a trend to zonal was likely (although not necessarily showing in the output) in early December while constant cold searching is applauded. The only difference so far is that the zonal has verified. 

Aye would like to know about the storm being predicted for Friday and the current unsettled pattern rather than the hunt for "no cold". The servere weather thread has been busier than the mod thread lately. Says it all.

The current unsettled weather continues on the models i have seen this morning. Perhaps not as extreme as this week though.

Edited by No Balls Like Snow Balls
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The Gfs 06z op run has some very encouraging signs for coldies as time goes on with a much better jet alignment tilting nw / se which brings cold reloads from the northwest / north during early January, so there are possible changes afoot once the current stormy spell starts to ease, the first step is to get low pressure to the east of the uk and enable cold air to sweep down from the north..I would happily take what this 6z run shows in low res.Posted Image

post-4783-0-28136100-1387884677_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-02267400-1387884693_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-79594000-1387884766_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-40966100-1387884812_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-36719800-1387884813_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-39309800-1387884815_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-04205900-1387884859_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-52134100-1387885159_thumb.pn

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Following the ECM is like pulling teeth over the last few weeks or so - painful! never seen the models of recent times so reluctant  to bring in anything resembling cold. One after the other after the other of depressions moving eastwards, got a bad feeling about this winter (although only 3 weeks or so old). Very little to cheer about on the other models.

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 2

Posted

06z ensembles are rolling out and I must admit to being surprised that the muted signal for blocking to our NE has strengthened somewhat. This is around the day 9 and 10 range. There seems to be a trend for low pressure to fill out over or near to the UK rather than slowly transfer to the NE.

Getting the heights is just one challenge though as we now face the additional problem of 850s. Some of the pretty Synoptics in FI will deliver nothing but cold rain. One thing in our favour for once is the fact that were looking into early / mid January so cold pools can form very quickly and sometimes in situ.

Jason

Posted

06z ensembles are rolling out and I must admit to being surprised that the muted signal for blocking to our NE has strengthened somewhat. This is around the day 9 and 10 range. There seems to be a trend for low pressure to fill out over or near to the UK rather than slowly transfer to the NE. Getting the heights is just one challenge though as we now face the additional problem of 850s. Some of the pretty Synoptics in FI will deliver nothing but cold rain. One thing in our favour for once is the fact that were looking into early / mid January so cold pools can form very quickly and sometimes in situ.Jason

blocking to our east and northeast - definite jason but likely too far away to influence directly. More interested in the 06z ens trending lower heights into Europe over time compared to the 00z suite.
  • Like 1

Posted

A quick one liner from me...

Merry xmas all :)

ps. I'm STILL waiting for my severe gale fix here in yorkshire :( It's like waiting for snow.

• Like 1

Posted

So what happens with that next wave of incoming missiles?

Posted Imagegfsnh-0-192.png

Looking at that GFS for 192hrs the circled black features are very likely to verify PV over Canada beginning to edge east, low pressure near the UK, the uncertainty in the middle is really the crux of the matter.

The strength of any ridging especially to the n/nw will determine whether theres enough forcing placed on the next missile to disrupt some energy se'wards.

if the low just runs across and phases with that over the UK then essentially you lose that opportunity for more energy to head into mainland Europe and force the Azores high further west.

i get the feeling that the current plan is for the high coming east following that renewed burst of low heights to draw the azores northwest towards newfoundland, allowing the trough to drop further into europe. of course that can change.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

According to the GFS, NW England and Scotland are on the brink of a record low for the UK. Without doubt it will be a candle affair for many going into Christmas day.

Posted Image

Where can you find out (i.e tomorrow) how low the actual pressure was recorded?  

Stop bickering people, it's frustrating enough at other times of year, but to bicker and point score about weather charts on xmas eve is even more ridiculous!

I dont think anyone is bickering Paul :)

At least im certainly not!

ECM ensembles for DeBilt don't make pretty viewing.Possibly a reflection of a flow off the North sea pointing to trough(s)in our locale.

Acc to Retron on TWO the EC15 dayer is a conveyor belt of lows across the pond,with little or no blocking structures present across Greenland or Scandanvia its very difficult to make a case for anything other than wet and windy with the odd day or two of a lull until the next low hurtles towards the UK.

Anyway,time for some christmas dinner,i can smell the sprouts from the living room!:D

Merry christmas to all on NW,lets hope for a change of fortunes sometime soon.

• Like 1

Posted

Merry Xmas all - hope Santa delivers what you want, but if imminent northern blocking is top of your wish list there could be some disappointment ahead.  Gotta say nothing in the current output leads me to believe a significant pattern change is likely any time soon. Looks as though the first half of Jan at least will see more of the same in general, though hopefully with time the weather will become less volatile and progressively colder, ahead of what I still think will be a wintry 2nd half of the season. 

Enjoy!

Posted

I dont think anyone is bickering Paul Posted Image

At least im certainly not!

ECM ensembles for DeBilt don't make pretty viewing.Possibly a reflection of a flow off the North sea pointing to trough(s)in our locale.

Acc to Retron on TWO the EC15 dayer is a conveyor belt of lows across the pond,with little or no blocking structures present across Greenland or Scandanvia its very difficult to make a case for anything other than wet and windy with the odd day or two of a lull until the next low hurtles towards the UK.

Anyway,time for some christmas dinner,i can smell the sprouts from the living room!Posted Image

Merry christmas to all on NW,lets hope for a change of fortunes sometime soon.

you dont have to rely on darren - i posted the 15 day ecm charts earlier.  yes its mobile but the jet aligns more nw/se so the secondary systems will run nw/se into europe.  a bit like what we see over xmas/boxing day but more sustained rather than the trough just being ejected south and cut off.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

According to the GFS, NW England and Scotland are on the brink of a record low for the UK. Without doubt it will be a candle affair for many going into Christmas day.

Posted Image

Where can you find out (i.e tomorrow) how low the actual pressure was recorded?

Hi

I use the following link:

http://www.wunderground.com/history/

put in the area and then go to weekly. It will give the max and min reading for surface pressure that week, the min will obviously be today's very low output.

• Like 1

Posted

Well ae least we're not alone for a change. Looks like being one of the mildest Xmas Days across much of central and eastern Europe for many years, even the bulk of lowland Scandi will see maxima above freezing and double digit highs are possible in parts of eastern Europe.

I'd imagine the organisers in Sochi will start to have a few sleepless nights if this pattern extends deep into Jan...Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by shedhead
  • Like 1

Posted

But most here will see temps below average on the big day Shed.

Glad you said that, thought I was going mad there! It's a cold wind blowing out there and we've just had a light snow shower! Looks even colder tomorrow!
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Exactly..I wouldn't call 4-7 celsius mildPosted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Merry xmas to all on netweather.The next week to ten days look pretty much sorted and then its whether the arctic ridging makes a move in the right direction and brings a change ?looks to be a gradual trend to some cooler than average temps but as always fi can throw some major changes up sometimes for the betterPosted Image

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and cold

Just a quickie from me just popped in for a quick gander at the models and to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and hopefully a Snowy New Year

Take care everyone

TF xxxxx

• Like 8

Posted

Not cherry picking, well, only to the extent that it follows my thinking of the past 5 days of where we are heading, an MLB. GEFS member 12...

A weak polward ridge makes inroads on the Pacific side of the Northern Hemisphere

post-5114-0-78746000-1387893457_thumb.pn

Helping to create to a decent troposheric vortex split of sorts and a decent -AO profile

post-5114-0-89653700-1387893480_thumb.pn

Watch then to our NE as the Russian (glass half empty) Scandi (glass half full) high ridges westards

post-5114-0-20959200-1387893489_thumb.pn

Connection complete and energy is now drawn E / SE underneath.

post-5114-0-29084500-1387893496_thumb.pn

Now look to the Atlantic...

post-5114-0-53704300-1387893503_thumb.pn

WAA surge from the established Mid-Atlantic high bolsters the Mid-Lat heights and lower European heights drop just low enough to stop a sinker

post-5114-0-68439300-1387893512_thumb.pn

Far reaches of FI and just one not-too-shabby outcome

post-5114-0-66429700-1387893520_thumb.pn

Note that this run has no really cold uppers nor does it have what might be classed as decent HLB but it does offer us a viable way out that, to my mind, ties in with upstream signals. There is no realistic route to quick cold from where we are now but if we are heading for the above the potential is there 2nd week onwards for decent cold.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The scariest thing is that we are one of the coldest places in Europe, but we are only just below average ourselves. Shocking for our neighbours on the continent Posted Image

Let's hope we get a pattern change soon, or they will have to invent new winter sports Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

The scariest thing is that we are one of the coldest places in Europe, but we are only just below average ourselves. Shocking for our neighbours on the continent Posted Image

Let's hope we get a pattern change soon, or they will have to invent new winter sports Posted Image

Lol, they could always take up our favourite pastime  of dodging the raindrops.

• Like 1