Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 17th Dec.2013-12z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Worth noting the EURO4 model differs from the raw NAE, with snowfall forecast further SW, over the moors of Devon & Cornwall especially;

post-12721-0-54185100-1387363616_thumb.jpost-12721-0-99382800-1387363625_thumb.j

Interesting times ahead though, a respectful possibility of some white stuff for some lucky southerners!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The Gfs 06z op run shows a stormy and wintry spell on christmas day, after a relatively quiet start to the day with some wintry showers across the northwest, heavy rain and gales sweeps north and east with a spell of snow across northern england (especially the hills) working north into southern / central scotland overnight into boxing day, cold, wet and wild, and for some...white.

post-4783-0-25626100-1387363621_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-27390000-1387363645_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-99821500-1387363670_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-34362000-1387363696_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-90946600-1387363709_thumb.pn

Edited by Frosty.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

poor 6z imo and the pv looks pretty rampant in fi.unsettled and widy sums it up on the current moPosted Image

• Like 2

All i can say regarding 06z gfs is pass me the sick bucket.

Unfortunately After a very very stormy and mostly wet christmas i think the pattern for the early part of Jan is now starting to slowly reveal itself,and it isn't what coldies want to see with the PV limpeted to Greeny and HP building across Europe once again.

After rereading the METO long ranger yesterday they maywell have been hinting at the remergence of the Euro high talking of dryer weather in the SE and more unsettled to the NW.

Might sound dramatic but im starting to have worries about winter 2014.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Some will disagree but the Gfs 06z op run looks rather wintry at times to me, especially from christmas onwards into early next year, rather cold and stormy with knife edge rain / snow events and squally wintry showers with snow on hills and icy patches.ok it's not a severe siberian icy blast but at least it's not mild sw'ly mush either.Posted Image

post-4783-0-69323400-1387364471_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-95962500-1387364483_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-06299400-1387364498_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-73552800-1387364521_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-38481200-1387364536_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-72507300-1387364552_thumb.pn

Edited by Frosty.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Dont think people should worry too much what the gfs 06z is showing. Its renound for been the worst run of the day. And even if we do get a wet mild winter nothing any of us can do about it. And at least we all save on heating lol. Just hope these storms over the xmas period get downgraded. Because dont think any of us want to see those charts come to fruition. Especially with many of us traveling over the festive period.

Posted

Yet another run showing the xmas/boxing day storm, 06z has it entering at 955mb and exiting at 940mb. So still some quick intensification going on which will drag down the 925 winds well. For the UK and France this is shaping up to be the big storm and imho Christmas news and will be far more on forecasters minds than whether we get a few hrs of transient snow.

Its still far too early to judge how likely, but the low that forms it when it exits the US is within T144 and the controlling low is within T144.

post-6326-0-43480600-1387364680_thumb.gi

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Are we talking about the 06z Nick?That run is slightly different to the 0z ..

There is a signal from high res models for for an active trough to bring snow to lower levels across S Wales, central and eastern England in heavier bursts, though it remains to be seen whether there'll be any settling below, say, 200m. 06z looks wrong side of marginal still. As others have mentioned, will be down to now casting.
  • Like 1

Some will disagree but the Gfs 06z op run looks rather wintry at times to me, especially from christmas onwards into early next year, rather cold and stormy with knife edge rain / snow events and squally wintry showers with snow on hills and icy patches.ok it's not a severe siberian icy blast but.at least it's not mild sw'ly mush either.Posted Image

Karl i love your optimism and take on the models but i think we need to be a tad more realistic here.

The outlook for coldies is shocking.

For storm enthusiasts the outlook is very interesting but for those wanting cold and snow its as bad as i have seen it for quite a while.

As i alluded to in my previous post i'd wager we see a re-emergence of the slug high in response to the flat upstream pattern as we enter January.

God i hope im wrong here btw!

There is a signal from high res models for for an active trough to bring snow to lower levels across S Wales, central and eastern England in heavier bursts, though it remains to be seen whether there'll be any settling below, say, 200m. 06z looks wrong side of marginal still. As others have mentioned, will be down to now casting.

Cheers Nick :)

Any longer term thoughts, ihave a bad feeling about the early part of Jan-

• Like 2

Posted

The gfs 6z is still showing a warming in the stratosphere over Asia around 250hours but it doesn't look as significant as yesterday. That in itself won't be able to distrupt the vortex unless it gets upgraded in future runs or unless it is the first in a series of warmings.

Something to watch anyway.

Karyo

The gfs 6z is still showing a warming in the stratosphere over Asia around 250hours but it doesn't look as significant as yesterday. That in itself won't be able to distrupt the vortex unless it gets upgraded in future runs or unless it is the first in a series of warmings.Something to watch anyway.Karyo

Karyo gfs06z paints a horrid picture longer term and added to that the ECM mean at 240h looks abysmal as we hit the back end of December.

Surely this Atlantic onslaught has to run out of steam,doesn't it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Karl i love your optimism and take on the models but i think we need to be a tad more realistic here.The outlook for coldies is shocking.For storm enthusiasts the outlook is very interesting but for those wanting cold and snow its as bad as i have seen it for quite a while.As i alluded to in my previous post i'd wager we see a re-emergence of the slug high in response to the flat upstream pattern as we enter January.God i hope im wrong here btw!Cheers Nick :)Any longer term thoughts, ihave a bad feeling about the early part of Jan-

Yes if your focusing on the northern hemisphere with the PV looking strong it doesn't look good. But taking the 06 litterely it shows cold zonality with a much more north westerly element to the weather after Xmas , so in this instance I tend to agree with frosty. Yes it shows the euro high in deep fi but I really don't care what it's showing after 240hrs because it never happens anyway . I have seen hints of a pressure drop over Europe towards Italy recently, it happened yesterday , forget what run now . With the jet way south , and the MJO on the move (see technical thread) , that points toward a major pattern change into the new year . But cold zonality can be fun for some , and tomorrow's snow chances is very reall , and could well happen again with the jet way south .
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Very interesting Model watching coming up especially If some cold uppers do appear .each day new possibilitys and new Synoptics to talk about .And with Christmas still 7 days away the synoptics for that day could change quite significantly .So for some thinking this Winter is Doomed from a coldies perspective ITS ONLY JUST BEGUN ,about ten weeks left plus the bonus of March ,The hunt is on ,Stellas at the ready Posted Image i,ll have a half .Posted Image

More interesting for you guys in the UK. Model watching here is becoming boring in Middle Europe. Endless sunny days with pressure constant for days on end at 1035mb. No snow in sight until Christmas Day. Snow cover becoming thinner with temperatures rising with height. Still well below freezing in the valley, currently -5c there and +6c on the ski slopes. I hate these synoptics over us, send some of your copious preciptation from Southern England. I will swop the sunshine we have !

C

Edited by carinthian
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Posted
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Where can I find historic weather models... I want to compare this Christmas with 1995.

Try the Archive TL: http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=gfs;sess= Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Currently Southminster, Essex (but original home town Northampton)
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow/Blizzards in Winter, Cool Summers. (I'm allergic to heat)!
  • Location: Currently Southminster, Essex (but original home town Northampton)

Where can I find historic weather models... I want to compare this Christmas with 1995.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/archives/archives.php?day=20&month=12&hour=0&year=1995&map=4&mode=2

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Haha! 920mb low!! I'll eat my right leg off if it get's that deep, but have to say it looks like somewhere could get a battering in that period.

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 1

Posted

Try here TL........http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsreaeur.html

Looks very different to whats expected this time next week.

Posted Image

Edited by shedhead
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

UKMO interestingly has the weakest primary low and probably lends itself to a higher chance of snow from the secondary.

Posted Image