Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 31/12/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Morning all. Back to work and the server's down yipee!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

The near constant rain reminds me of blowing your nose all the time when you have a cold and thinking 'there can't possibly be anymore up there?????'.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot summers

Woken up FURIOUS! I would advise ANYBODY with Natwest to change to TSB or someone different I could use a number of words that the swear filter would block... Crap bank!!!! You ask them to do one simple task and they don't!

I think it's all banks mate, trust me I could bore u all day with horror stories about TSB

Posted

Stll lhere with the engineer whose was abandoned 6hrs ago....Fed/watered ....now watching Oblivionxxxx

you could ask Keraunohile how to make a little nest for him in a vase and give him some leaves to munch.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Morning all - lovely one here so I'm glad it's a day off :-) lots to do today so need to get a wiggle on really !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Seems I'm the only person in our office that didn't book today off!!! Being a contractor really sucks sometimes, nobody tells you anything :(

Nice and Sunny in the City this morning...

• Like 1

Posted

oh dear.winds not so strong here now but lights are flickering and lost internet connection for a few minutes.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/update_set_of_traffic_lights_still_causing_disruption_while_power_is_returned_to_thousands_of_homes_on_east_coast_1_3167791

So this is the reason for the lights flickering last night!

Posted

Posted Image

and relax......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

It's good to see the 16 day forecast more consistently coming to terms with colder weather for the SE region! Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Essex Easterly.

Posted

I think the last 31 days rain chart for Eastbourne says it all about this season so far:

post-6667-0-97039000-1388659166_thumb.jp

There might be a few more sunny and dry days next week, but here's one I'm watching for tomorrow:

Posted Image

Posted

After today's brief (but welcome) sunny and clear interlude, the rain returns with the wind:

post-6667-0-67144400-1388660508_thumb.jp

Posted Image

Worst of the wind and gusts look confined to the West, we might escape with circa 50 mph:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Coast
  • Like 1

Posted

I was having a conversation with a friend at a party last week, he works way up in the operational/scheduling side of a major UK airline. He was talking to one of their pilots recently who had 25 years experience of trans-Atlantic flying and he said they were experiencing the fastest jet stream he had ever encountered. Flights from New York are currently 1 hour ahead of schedule and the tail winds are pushing aircraft along with engines almost throttled back. Conversely, flights out to New York are taking at least one hour more than schedule and they are endeavouring to find increasingly varied tracks across the Atlantic to try and negate the headwinds at altitude. 

No real heads-up about long term variations in the jet and how they might play out for us, but he said their aviation meteorological LRF data pointed to either more of the same, or significant snowfall. Time will tell.....

• Like 9

Posted

Three Day Flood Risk Forecast

Valid from 15:00 on 01 Jan 2014

Summary

Heavy rain and showers are likely to lead to minor disruption quite widely today across southern England and south Wales from both river and surface water flooding with disruption to travel expected. There could be some localised significant disruption from surface water flooding in those parts today too, such as flooding of properties and disruption to utilities, as well as from river flooding in parts of southeast England today and tomorrow. A combination of high tides, increasingly strong winds and large waves means minor disruption is possible around the coasts of Wales on Thursday with significant disruption possible there and along the south and west coasts of England on Friday. Impacts such as flooding of coastal roads and some properties are possible in exposed parts with spray and wave overtopping likely quite widely. Minor disruption is likely throughout the next three days around the lower reaches of the River Severn in Gloucestershire and also in the Somerset Levels as well as from groundwater flooding in parts of Dorset and Wiltshire, with localised flooding of land and roads and perhaps individual properties

post-6667-0-13396500-1388663411_thumb.pn

Friday 03 January 2014

Southern (9):

Brighton and Hove
E Sussex
Hampshire
Isle of Wight
Kent
Medway
Portsmouth
Southampton
W Sussex

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/3days/125305.aspx

• Like 1

Posted

Nice to see some people are busy back at work already ..... I'm busy catching up with the washing here after the weekend away staying with friends -.we did have a lovely walk round the lake and enjoyed a bit of fresh air first though, it was beautiful in the sunshine but a chilly breeze was blowing across the water - lots of big puddles to splash in too :-)

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Mornin each. Glory be....! There is a big yellow ball set in a brilliant blue sky out there. What is going on? Is it some kind of weather phenomena?

Well, it makes a nice change, I must say.

Interesting post re' the flights, Coast. Hope it does mean snow for us. I would imagine these seasoned airline chaps know what they're on about. :)

Have a good day, everyone. Mine got off to a c****y start. It can only get better. :)

• Like 3

Posted

Mornin each. Glory be....! There is a big yellow ball set in a brilliant blue sky out there. What is going on? Is it some kind of weather phenomena? Well, it makes a nice change, I must say.

Same here Grace, it certainly makes a pleasant change and lifts the spirits - the only thing that could have made this morning better would have been a touch of frost !
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Morn... (bugger too late), Afternoon all,

Tis a quiet and bright day here too, nice to see it calm and sunny after the recent run of cack weather, shame it is not set to last,  bit like my time off, comes to an end today so been a busy morning sorting out washing and the car, bins out etc, need to do some ironing as well, might save that for later when I can have the telly on to keep me amused at the same time.

Charging the car up (again) before I head out for a wander in this fine days glory a bit later.

Have a good day all.

• Like 1

Posted

Oops, here we go again!

post-6667-0-38465400-1388665495_thumb.jp

Yellow warning of Wind for Brighton and Hove, East Sussex, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Portsmouth, West Sussex

Issued at: 

1206 on Thu 2 Jan 2014

Valid from: 
0005 on Fri 3 Jan 2014

Valid to: 
2359 on Fri 3 Jan 2014

Another spell of unsettled weather is expected on Friday with further wet and windy conditions likely across western areas in particular. Tides will be very high, and the public should be aware of the risks of large waves and coastal flooding.

This is an update to the Alert issued on Wednesday to increase coastal gust values. A developing Atlantic low pressure system is expected to move northeastwards just to the west of Scotland on Friday. This will push further bands of locally heavy rain across the UK and winds will gust to around 60-70 mph over coasts and hills, locally 80 mph along some exposed Irish Sea coasts. Inland, gusts up to 50 mph are likely. Lowering pressure will combine with high tides around the UK coastline and bring the risk of some flooding.

Edited by Coast

Posted

Unless I imagined it , I thought there was a warning for rain for late tonight and early tomorrow for some southern counties. This seems to have disappeared so maybe rain not such a problem after all... thankfully

Posted

Unless I imagined it , I thought there was a warning for rain for late tonight and early tomorrow for some southern counties. This seems to have disappeared so maybe rain not such a problem after all... thankfully

No but Environment Agency have amber warnings for coastal flooding along South Coast tomorrow along with heavy rain predicted tomorrow, Saturday and then another yellow warning for rain on Sunday. So I think yes rain will be a huge problem in days to come.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Yes, AFAIK rain is still a significant factor in current weather conditions and flooding still a potential problem.

• Like 2

Posted

It has gone hasn't it? I'm still seeing plenty of rain unfortunately but maybe the wind warning takes precedence? GFS has this for rain later tonight into tomorrow and beyond:

Posted Image

24 hours+ of relentless rain and gales on top of the flooding already present in some SE areas...

• Like 3

Posted

No but Environment Agency have amber warnings for coastal flooding along South Coast tomorrow along with heavy rain predicted tomorrow, Saturday and then another yellow warning for rain on Sunday. So I think yes rain will be a huge problem in days to come.

Just never ends !  Thanks for the update SJ