Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 31/12/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Just looking at this image of possible ball lightning last night (thread on UKWW)

Taking a reduced gamma filter to it can certainly see a twirly tall tail.. did this come from the sky??

post-11361-0-56864500-1388606065_thumb.j

photo on the right is from this site -  http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/10907814.UFO__lightning_ball_or_Chinese_Lantern__Mysterious_light_spotted_over_Poole_on_New_Year_s_Eve/?ref=mr

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/101232-rfmi-ball-lightning-poole-dorset-3112/page__pid__884229#entry884229

Think it might have been a meteor, ball lightning or just a reflection, or other as mentioned ...

On UKWW they think it's a Lantern, wonder if a video would spring up at some point!

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm
  • Like 4

Posted

storm now in  the  middle  of  the  English channel  people in brighton ,crawley  horsham area look out for  heavy  rain soon

Edited by tinybill

Posted

i could do my update tonight by saying

wet

dry

wet

dry

windy

gales

not so windy

not cold

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

i will do a proper update later but expect similar to above Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Posted Image

hi surrey

thats why i prefer the fax charts

they show fronts and troughs etc better than most of the other models

the chart above shows whats happening now

• Like 2

Posted

there  a  bad one  at bognor  at the  moment just been watch the  cam there

Posted

Posted Image

hi surrey

thats why i prefer the fax charts

they show fronts and troughs etc better than most of the other models

the chart above shows whats happening now

nasty looking Upper cold front ahead of the surface base cold front.  Wonder how much the winds are veering at that level?  Bound to cause some turbulance

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

The lights are flickering a lot here and it's still quite windy but rain has stopped....for now. :)

Posted

V6 netweather radar.. Worth ever penny I pay..

couldn't agree more.  Excellent value for money

The lights are flickering a lot here and it's still quite windy but rain has stopped....for now. Posted Image

Had 3 flickers in the last 10 mins, but my weather station says it's not as bad as 2 hours ago

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, blue sky summers, misty,frosty autumns!

It is lashing down here at the moment. Just keeping fingers crossed that we don't loose the tv signal during Sherlock - just at the point when he tells how he did it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and no more than 25degC

Firstly - Happy New year to all my new NW buddies....so glad I found you this year and I just Love this regional thread.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Secondly , on a positive note despite the horrendous weather, the stream has stayed in bank today............so far!

I do hope JP';s saucepans have performed a similar "stay dry" function....and indeed everyone else is warm and dry!

UPDATE:

Afternoon everyone!

After the excitement last night, I think we will be spending a quiet evening in watching the telly. How wrong was I? Posted Image 

Talking of toilets...the pumping station has now had 5 sets of contractors attend in the last 24hours and it is still not working. Just waiting for no 6 to turn up.

No 7 turned up - No 6 never found the property because the records and hence job sheets STILL hadn't been updated with the correct location

who will were also be unable to do anything because

a) they do not have the right keys No - previous contractors jemmied the lock on the power unit

b. the chamber was full of water and they didn't have the kit to pump it out = done by contractor no 3

c )they don;t understand German - correct!

d) they have the wrong expertise - its now a mechanical not an electrical problem actually the have no experience of this type of pumping station at all, despite their company having the maintenance contract from Southern Water for all these stations in the south east

e) there are no drawings/installation diagrams confirmed (again!)

This is aside from the ones that never arrived because the location of the pump is incorrectly shown as 400yds away on the central plans. No 7 was tenacious - drove around the area for two hours, falling down slippery verges/banks in the dark before finally working out where to find us and turning up about 9pm

You couldn't make it up! I've now been told that until it is fixed I have to go out every 2 hours to manually operate it.....Posted Image

No 7 were told they had to manually operate the pump every two hours all night til they went off shift at 5am. They were not allowed to sit out the New Year inside with us "customers" and furthermore, us customers were not allowed to operate the pump.

It was at this point events deteriorated  towards the Pythonesque. The new contractor company then said they were planning to bring in heavy plant today to crane out the old and bring in a new (very heavy and large) pumping station.....
a) over a flooding stream on two sides of the property
b. with no large vehicular access within 100yds
c) without ever seeing the site in daylight
d) without a risk assessment or method statement and .
e) without contacting the EA to minimise the risk of damage to the watercourse

If you;re still with me this far dear readers, I'm afraid to say I finally "lost it" with SW at about 11.30pm last night......I do hope my call to customer services was recorded for training purposes!

Despite a 1am meeting this morning at my house with a senior project engineer from SW, we are no further forward and in fact have gone two steps back.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Here endeth the third day for 4 unfortunate properties without functioning sewage/waste-water facilities.

xxxxx

• Like 4

Posted

Aww no PP was hoping you would have better luck.

Sounds like you still have your sense of humour though?! That can go a long way to get you through tough times.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Wow, very potent line of heavy showers with possible thunder heading up into the NW area of our region. Hopefully they will hit me at the same intensity!

Posted

hi pp

got my own saucepan megamix going at present

i hope you sort out you situation soon but sounds like you could

be banging your head on the wall with that Posted Image

you never know someone may read this thread and sort it out quick for you

heres the fax update for now

tonight

wet and windy

rain easing early hours with the wind

still drizzly rain around rush hour around the far south east but clearing quickly after

tomorrow

Posted Image

a breezy south west wind

rainfall

looks dry but the odd shower may get driven in by the wind during the day

temps

Posted Image

chilly around 8 degrees

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

tomorrow night

Posted Image

an increasing south west wind veering westerly and gusting stronger towards morning

rainfall

dry until midnight

then

Posted Image

heavy and persistant rain moreso the far south of the region

temps

around 8 degrees

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

friday

Posted Image

winds veering back south westerly

gusty 40-50 mph

late pm watch for that kink below ireland

that may give a brief spell of very strong winds later on

rainfall

dry am

Posted Image

but heavy gusty showers pm in conjuntion with the troughs on the fax

Posted Image

cannot rule out a rumble or 2 with this set up

temps

Posted Image

around 6-8 degrees and feeling raw

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

friday night

Posted Image

winds easing on a south westerly still

rainfall

Posted Image

going to call light showery bits here

temps

Posted Image

Posted Image

frost unlikely due to cloud but if you get some clear slots a frost is possible

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

saturday

Posted Image

a weak south westerly

low closeby

Posted Image

heavy rain again

temps

Posted Image

Posted Image

again 6-8 degrees

feeling yuk

so all in all

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Good update JP and PP, any news on things being resolved yet?

Wet and errrr wet here, I had already decided to call it a night and curled up on the sofa for dinner/tea (what ever you want to call it) and watched a DVD minus the wet clothes from my earlier trip out.

• Like 2

Posted

hi pp

Hi JP   Posted Image

got my own saucepan megamix going at present

Good to hear about the megamix - I have amassed enough vouchers to take advantage of the sales and update my 15yr old rather posh Circulon saucepans that I have wrecked through constant dishwasher assault. Didn't want to throw them out if you may need to avail yourself Posted Image

i hope you sort out you situation soon but sounds like you could

be banging your head on the wall with that Posted Image

Yep! There is hope though...I finally got to speak tonight to the only sensible person in SW I have EVER  found over the last 9 years .....fingers and paws crossed.

you never know someone may read this thread and sort it out quick for you

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

heres the fax update for now

JP - your updates are an absolute godsend to peepies like me who are in "weather-challenged" areas.

I include others here too such as  Coast, Tamara, MK and Surrey.

Thank you everyone Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Also - it's the reports coming in from the region from everyone here on the SE thread that really help people like me make constructive decisions at short notice about how to prepare/respond to these inclement weather situations;  including ascertaining/managing the risks for not just the piggies and me ---but also anyone else attending site in the back of my garden............................................like the invisible SW contractors Posted Image

Thanx everyone and Happy New Year!

XXxx

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

JP - your updates are an absolute godsend to peepies like me who are in "weather-challenged" areas.

I include others here too such as  Coast, Tamara, MK and Surrey.

Thank you everyone Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Also - it's the reports coming in from the region from everyone here on the SE thread that really help people like me make constructive decisions at short notice about how to prepare/respond to these inclement weather situations;  including ascertaining/managing the risks for not just the piggies and me ---but also anyone else attending site in the back of my garden............................................like the invisible SW contractors Posted Image

Thanx everyone and Happy New Year!

XXxx

you have back garden contractors! Posted Image

quick! on topic, it is still raining here!

• Like 1

Posted

Aww no PP was hoping you would have better luck.

Sounds like you still have your sense of humour though?! That can go a long way to get you through tough times.

Hi SJ

Thanks for the response......I too was hoping for better luck.....unfortunately it was not to be today .....and to cap it all, the NW smilies are not working for me.

Says it all really LOL

and yes - sense of humour still here....but really starting to be concerned about clinging by fingernails to the rockface in current conditions...IYSWIMxxxx 

• Like 1