Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 31/12/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted

It has gone hasn't it? I'm still seeing plenty of rain unfortunately but maybe the wind warning takes precedence? GFS has this for rain later tonight into tomorrow and beyond:

Posted Image

24 hours+ of relentless rain and gales on top of the flooding already present in some SE areas...

Thanks Coast - It was just that there was specific warning for rain (or so I thought). No matter as looking grim anyway for driving around tomorrow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy, windy, cold.

Hi all enjoying last day off with a huge cooked breakfast I couldn't manage to cook yesterday!! Setting up bird feeding station aswell. Beautiful day... So lovely to have this dry interlude. Even have a snail shell on the bedroom window here !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

It's maddening! Just please give me some quiet cold weather - I don't care if it snows or not now. Just some relief from the wind and rain is enough.

Luckily I didn't lose power and spent the evening on i-player catching up with all the ghost stories and films I didn't have time to watch over Christmas - you can't watch them properly at the time anyway, as people are chattering or opening pressies etc. or you're cooking and it's rude to watch telly with guests there (or so my parents taught me).

I cant even bear to read the Models thread in case it's more of the same for the next few weeks.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!

Good Afternoon everyone from a sunny and bright NW1. A fabulous view from the 27th floor today across London.

Just saw the following on the BBC News website following this morning's COBRA Mtg as per link below. It makes for concerning reading especially for COAST and his friends on the South Coast. Stay safe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25572390

Happy New Year everyone

Kind Regards

Dave

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Yellow Warning of Wind for London & South East England :

Brighton and Hove, East Sussex, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Portsmouth & West Sussex

Another spell of unsettled weather is expected on Friday with further wet and windy conditions likely across western areas in particular. Tides will be very high, and the public should be aware of the risks of large waves and coastal flooding.

This is an update to the Alert issued on Wednesday to increase coastal gust values.

Issued at:

1206 on Thu 2 Jan 2014

Valid from:

0005 on Fri 3 Jan 2014

Valid to:

2359 on Fri 3 Jan 2014

A developing Atlantic low pressure system is expected to move northeastwards just to the west of Scotland on Friday. This will push further bands of locally heavy rain across the UK and winds will gust to around 60-70 mph over coasts and hills, locally 80 mph along some exposed Irish Sea coasts. Inland, gusts up to 50 mph are likely. Lowering pressure will combine with high tides around the UK coastline and bring the risk of some flooding.

Yellow Alert of Rain for London & South East England :

Hampshire, Surrey, Kent, Brighton and Hove, East Sussex, Isle of Wight, Portsmouth, Southampton & West Sussex

Outbreaks of rain, heavy at times, will affect the UK on Sunday. Quite widespread accumulations of 10-20 mm are then likely with locally in excess of 40 mm possible over some higher ground.

This additional rainfall, following the recent wet weather, means that the public should be aware of an increased risk of both surface water and river flooding as well as disruption to transport.

Issued at:

1233 on Thu 2 Jan 2014

Valid from:

0900 on Sun 5 Jan 2014

Valid to:

2359 on Sun 5 Jan 2014

Another spell of wet and windy weather will affect the British Isles on Sunday as a new, deep depression becomes anchored over the eastern Atlantic Ocean. The associated frontal system is then expected to move eastwards across Britain, perhaps not clearing the far east and southeast until Monday morning.

http://www.metoffice...Time=1388707200

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

I think it's all banks mate, trust me I could bore u all day with horror stories about TSB

I've not had any problems with santander as yet, not saying no one has though, I might just have been lucky so far. Was abbey before change, no probs then either.

Posted

Just saw the following on the BBC News website following this morning's COBRA Mtg as per link below. It makes for concerning reading especially for COAST and his friends on the South Coast. Stay safe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25572390

Hi Dave.

I am a little concerned about flooding in low lying areas especially the Pevensey marshes (closest likely to affect me) and then the Cuckmere River which was almost up to the top as I passed it this morning. Lewes and Uckfieid normally suffer as well so I shall be on flood look out myself tomorrow.

So far so good:

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/34678.aspx?page=1&type=RiverAndTown&term=eastbourne

But check out the SE area generally on the Environment agency website:

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/34678.aspx?type=Region&term=Southeast&from=fl

Posted

Yalding residents get sandbags amid new flooding fears

Sandbags have been given to residents in areas of Kent severely affected by flooding over the Christmas period, following more rainfall. Maidstone Borough Council said it delivered supplies to people in several streets in Yalding and Maidstone.

The Environment Agency has issued a flood warning for the River Beult at Yalding, which was badly hit by the floods last week, and the lower Medway. It said water levels would peak on Thursday afternoon. In a statement on its website, the Environment Agency said: "Flooding is not expected to be to the extent of flooding at Christmas. "We are continuing to monitor the situation and will update this message if the situation changes."

Prime Minister David Cameron was confronted by a flood victim as he visited Yalding, on Friday, where homes were damaged by floodwater. Resident Ericka Olivares criticised the response of the power firms and local authority but the leader of Kent County Council, Paul Carter, defended the way the crisis had been handled. Following his encounter with Ms Olivares, Mr Cameron said the severity of flooding in the area made it difficult to ensure homes were protected, but "we have got to do more and we have got to do better". Power was restored to most villagers on Saturday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-25568974

Posted

Very short sharp shower just now. Came over quite dark but can see blue sky coming in again.

Ok well there was blue sky honest guv, gone now Posted Image

Edited by Sussex Jules
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
  • Weather Preferences: I like a bit of weather
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT

To be honest I am a novice at all this but I have found these forums on netweather and their weather alerts outstanding... This is the site that myself and family are following to keep up with the weather. Dreadful forecast expected, stay safe everyone

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, blue sky summers, misty,frosty autumns!

Hi Sussex Jules,

Same shower passed over Uckfield about 10 minutes ago! Very bizarre, blue skies appeared and now huge grey clouds building!

I would think some of the residents of Uckfield will be having a worrying few days with what is forecast at the moment.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

After yesterday and further more extensive leaking in the extension, today has been a respite. I am hoping tomorrow is quiet without rain here tomorrow. Sunday looking bad here though.

Happy New Year all and stay safe.

Posted

Hi Sussex Jules,Same shower passed over Uckfield about 10 minutes ago! Very bizarre, blue skies appeared and now huge grey clouds building!I would think some of the residents of Uckfield will be having a worrying few days with what is forecast at the moment.

Definitely I'm pretty safe here but near enough to rivers and marshes to be concerned about 'getting about'. Sky has gone very dark again should be on it's way opp norf to Uckfield pretty soon!

• Like 2

Posted

I would think some of the residents of Uckfield will be having a worrying few days with what is forecast at the moment.

Let's hope it's not on the scale of 2000:

• Like 1

Posted

Well, the rain from Hailsham had arrived! The sky is so dark too!

I am beginning to feel that I might just ad well leave the lights on all day!!

• Like 1

Posted

Yes Coast. I remember that well. My youngest son was 3 years old and I can remember having to try and explain to him that no, we hadn't moved to the sea side overnight! That was a truly weird experience seeing that boat on the High Street. Near my end of Uckfield which is near the river by the old Hempstead Mill House, the level of the river rose some 20+ feet and flowed over the road. That was truly scary!

• Like 2

Posted

Well, the rain from Hailsham had arrived! The sky is so dark too!

I am beginning to feel that I might just ad well leave the lights on all day!!

Blue sky again so should clear with you pretty soon, just in time for it to get darkPosted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Don't look too far West into the Atlantic if you have a nervous disposition:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Zoiks!

• Like 2

Posted

hi all

will update the fax charts later

have a look at the ecm 00 ensembles

temps

Posted Image

wind

Posted Image

rain

Posted Image

i will let you decide

but to me the 8th onwards is starting to look a LOT dryer and slowly cooling down

high pressure for us??

i cannot remember looking for dryer weather rather than snow in the winter

lets see where we go later but plenty to watch between now and tuesday at least

back later

john

• Like 1

Posted

My God... that looks like way too much rain for rivers to cope ... and now there is risk of tidal flooding too ... :( not good at all

Posted

and heres the fax for 06 tomorrow

Posted Image

942 low

trough added now

strong south west winds gusting higher here in the afternoon

high tides etc

Posted Image

Posted

hi all

will update the fax charts later

have a look at the ecm 00 ensembles

temps

Posted Image

wind

Posted Image

rain

Posted Image

i will let you decide

but to me the 8th onwards is starting to look a LOT dryer and slowly cooling down

high pressure for us??

i cannot remember looking for dryer weather rather than snow in the winter

lets see where we go later but plenty to watch between now and tuesday at least

back later

john

Hi John - with regards to the temperature chart...is the yellow average line the average of the runs or the long term average? And what is the blue NCEP line referring to?