Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 31/12/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Morning all Posted Image damp dark and breezy walk to work along Birdcage this morning. very grey out there but depressingly mild too.

anyone else in work today?

Yep :( although I think we are getting away with a 1pm finish which will be nice! After Yesterday's travel chaos - OH was supposed to be picking me up from the Station, but ended up gridlocked in the Lakeside traffic trying to leave work after the Dartford bridge closure, so I got the train there and we ended up in Giraffe (which I wasn't hugely impressed with) sitting next to his ex(also unipressed with) for three hours while we waited for the traffic to clear. bah. Currently debating what to do tonight - half tempted to boycott the parties and sit indoors with a few bottless - at least I won't have to do battle with the rain.....

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy, windy, cold.

Morning all!!! Happy new year an all that. Got about 12 people over later for,buffet and bubbles. Gawd knows how will fit them into living room! Non descript sort of day here,,bit of sun, cloud and wind. Bird community going nuts tho, as haven't refilled the feeders, will do it shortly. Had a jack daw hanging off one of the feeders yest, most odd ! He nearly brought the whole thing crashing to ground.

• Like 2

Posted

Yep Posted Image although I think we are getting away with a 1pm finish which will be nice! After Yesterday's travel chaos - OH was supposed to be picking me up from the Station, but ended up gridlocked in the Lakeside traffic trying to leave work after the Dartford bridge closure, so I got the train there and we ended up in Giraffe (which I wasn't hugely impressed with) sitting next to his ex(also unipressed with) for three hours while we waited for the traffic to clear. bah. Currently debating what to do tonight - half tempted to boycott the parties and sit indoors with a few bottless - at least I won't have to do battle with the rain.....

Tonight I'm going to be very boring and do the same, stay in, have a beer (or 3) see in the New Year and go to bed (hopefully relatively sober)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Morning all

A very blurgh day here, mild and dry (for now) but quite dull with it, had to nip out when I realised I had 3 bills to pay that I had totally forgotten about (so expecting a letter or three in the new year, great start to 2014).  Have been doing some experimenting with art painting ideas and think I have cracked it now, so will try it over the next few days on proper watercolour sheets (been using standard 80mg A4 for testing on).

No plans for this evening so far, certainly not going into town as it will be full of weirdos I expect,  may end up a quiet night in with some friends/family.

What ever you are all doing, hope you have a good one.Posted Image

Posted

Morning all Posted Image damp dark and breezy walk to work along Birdcage this morning. very grey out there but depressingly mild too.

I've been dozing all morning, Southernman just woke me by calling as he is at work today.

Posted

Bit of a breeze out here, expect it will get worse as the day moves on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Morning all,

From yet again, a wet and dismal Croydon, with more significant rain on our doorstep now.

Just popping up a post again I made a few days ago, regarding trying to organise a Regional meet-up based around a talk by Ian Currie, please see post below. It's possible Ian could do a couple of talks for us, one based south of the Thames and the other, north of the Thames, to give members as much chance as possible to attend. If members could let me know if they are interested, so I can let Ian know the sort of numbers likely to attend, it also gives Ali an idea too.

"Hi Ali,

Would you still want to base a south of the Thames regional meet-up, around one of Ian Currie's talks? He's the chap that co-wrote the county weather books, that some of you might have read and a few other weather related books as well. He's also made numerous appearances on radio and tv, he has also written weather columns for many local newspapers. Tamara and I were fortunate to have an interesting few hours with him, back in November. I've since attended one of his talks based on his book, Frosts, Freezes and Fairs, at Addiscombe and he regularly performs these talks, about all sorts of weather related events, throughout our region. They really are worth going to see and he has some of his books on sale at these talks, which he's always willing to sign personally for you.

I'll be contacting him at the end of the coming week, with a view to finding out what dates would be available for our members to attend one of his talks, I'd imagine we'd be looking at early Spring now. With that in mind, it might be worth finding out how many members would be interested in coming along and trying to agree on a location that's most acceptable for members to get to, with Ian's approval of course.

If any of you are interested in coming along, could you please drop me a PM and then I can give Ian an idea of numbers that would like to attend one of his talks."

Regards,

Tom Posted Image 

Edited by Kentish CZ
  • Like 5

Posted

Getting very dark here now.

Just reading the news that peeps are complaining about the power cuts over the last week, and TBH I think they expect too much as the power co's can only do so much!

EDIT: OMG!!!!! It is lashing it down here!

EDIT EDIT: It appears to be mixture of heavy rain with sleety hail in it.

Edited by Jax

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

I don't know how that happened but my post ended up in the middle of your one MK I was quoting!!!

This was for MK lol

Thanks for all your hard work this year and I hope you get something to measure around the 14th -18th Jan that's not a surprise lol. Chris

Thanks Chris, if things go to plan it won't be snow that I'm measuring mid month Posted Image

Morning (just about I think) MAF and all - just had some very heavy rain here and no I'm not working today, Mr P is on an early (shame) but I stayed in bed (I will venture out to pick him up after 2pm though) no work for either of us until Friday now so plenty of time to party (and recover) have a very happy new years eve folks....stay safe and best wishes for 2014..

post-10773-0-02110100-1388490538_thumb.j

Ali x

• Like 1

Posted

Just posted in the other thread, but the radar looks as though there's a bit of a squall line incoming?

• Like 1

Posted

Yep Posted Image although I think we are getting away with a 1pm finish which will be nice! After Yesterday's travel chaos - OH was supposed to be picking me up from the Station, but ended up gridlocked in the Lakeside traffic trying to leave work after the Dartford bridge closure, so I got the train there and we ended up in Giraffe (which I wasn't hugely impressed with) sitting next to his ex(also unipressed with) for three hours while we waited for the traffic to clear. bah. Currently debating what to do tonight - half tempted to boycott the parties and sit indoors with a few bottless - at least I won't have to do battle with the rain.....

is it me, or are they shutting the bridge for even a slight breeze these days? my daughter was planning a trip to bluewater on weekend. ive told her to make her own way there and back :lol:

Morning MK! (just) :D

Just posted in the other thread, but the radar looks as though there's a bit of a squall line incoming?

oh and i bet it arrives around 1'ish :rolleyes:

by the way, there is a marching band practice in trafalgar square at one. going to be busy that way if your headed home via charing cross :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Yellow Alert of Rain for London & South East England :

Brighton and Hove, East Sussex, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Kent, Medway, Portsmouth, Southampton, Surrey, West Berkshire, West Sussex, Wokingham & Reading

Further rain, heavy at times, will spread quickly northeastwards on Wednesday. Rainfall totals are expected to be widely 10-20 mm, but as much as 30 mm over some south facing coasts and hills. South or southwesterly gales with gusts 50-60 mph on coasts and hills will accompany the rain.

With ground already saturated over much of this area, the public should be aware of the risk of further localised flooding.

Issued at:

1055 on Tue 31 Dec 2013

Valid from:

0600 on Wed 1 Jan 2014

Valid to:

2359 on Wed 1 Jan 2014

Another active Atlantic frontal system and deepening area of low pressure is expected to push northeastwards across western UK on Wednesday. A combination of strong winds and very moist air will give locally significant rainfall accumulations especially over south-facing coasts and hills. The more persistent rain should clear eastwards later on Wednesday and overnight into Thursday.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?regionName=se&from=rss&sn=4EE77731-475E-341F-39DC-3DFFF969FD6C_5_SE&tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1388534400

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder / lightning, Freezing rain, snow, ice and blizzards!

Very dark and torrential rain here now near St Neots, got my morning run out of the way just in time!!

Edited by chillyblast

Posted

Nope, Chancery Lane to Upminster for me, I'm avoiding Main stations! Fortunately it's a 2 minute sprint to the tube and I've got my hat with me, so it'll be fine..... :D

Posted

Light rain here now, but that was one hell of a downpour earlier, very squally.

Posted

Just managed to hoover the car out before the rain arrived.

Happy Easter!

saw easter eggs being delivered to a shop this week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Afternoon each. Very grey and chilly here in Ippy with quite a strong breeze/wind.

It's The Nippers second birthday today and we have people coming over later so no doubt it'll be chaos.:O

I hope Surrey is right about those French imports ( I take it he means thunder storms) That'll make summer exciting for a change. :)

Have a good day, everyone. :)

• Like 1

Posted

aaaaand it's tipping down. Awfully dark too.

Posted

just a warning  that line of rain in bound could be a bit  violent  on the  leading edge so be careful, looks like  that one which  hit Newcastle last  year

Posted

We have hail!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

It's raining.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder / lightning, Freezing rain, snow, ice and blizzards!

Passed through and now just grey, no wind and no more rain. 997.5MB