Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1st January 2014-06z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted

There is a link somewhere on the NOAA site posted on netweather within the archives which suggests fewer balloons are released during the weekend period, hence I'm a believer in weekend runs having more wobbles than would be otherwise anticipated. Whether a few less observations have enough impact on the entire GEFS suite for example, would be up for debate. Back to the model discussion we better go, otherwise both of us will be in trouble, John. PM me for a chat if you wish.

I am not sure if balloons are as massively important as they once were, due to the quality of satellite soundings available nowadays. A real sounding (balloon) is better, but it's only for one point (or assumed to be for one point, despite drift during flight), but inferred soundings from satellite can cover the entire globe. 

• Like 4

Posted

There is a link somewhere on the NOAA site posted on netweather within the archives which suggests fewer balloons are released during the weekend period, hence I'm a believer in weekend runs having more wobbles than would be otherwise anticipated. Whether a few less observations have enough impact on the entire GEFS suite for example, would be up for debate. Back to the model discussion we better go, otherwise both of us will be in trouble, John. PM me for a chat if you wish.

I must admit, I've never seen or heard of that being an issue tbh.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I am not sure if balloons are as massively important as they once were, due to the quality of satellite soundings available nowadays. A real sounding (balloon) is better, but it's only for one point (or assumed to be for one point, despite drift during flight), but inferred soundings from satellite can cover the entire globe. 

Thanks forecaster, radiosondes are the ones I'm referring to.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I must admit, I've never seen or heard of that being an issue tbh.

If I had full access to any back-dated archives I know I read something somewhere, but as forecaster suggested and JH alike would be soon tell me, perhaps their importance has diminished over recent years. A couple links I've found should anyone be interested are as follows, fascinating enough anyhow.

http://weather.uwyo.edu/upperair/sounding.html

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/data-access/weather-balloon-data

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/iln/UpperAir/UpperAir1.html

Even then the above doesn't seemingly answer my question. Onwards now then to what tonight's ECM has to offer us, will it be a continuation of the Atlantic onslaught, I hope not for all those affected by this rather nasty weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Certainly a different pattern starting to emerge now and thankfully its a less stormy one though we do have tomorrow and Monday to get through first

Posted ImagePosted Image

Starting to become cooler as well

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

JMA so close bite 1 but will it work out bite 2?

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

The latest Korean model suggests a big freeze from the east for the UK come February, it's on its own but at least it is there. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

High pressure incoming

Posted ImagePosted Image

Wanna see these sort of charts appearing on GFS, then I will believe much drier weather on the way, rather than just a bit drier

• Like 1

Posted

Cold incoming from the East maybe!!!

Edited by Ali1977

Posted

Cold incoming from the East maybe!!!

Not from that chart, but quite possibly from the latter end of the run. Something seems to be brewing though doesn't it.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Cool and crisp end to ECM, after all the rain we've had lately a settled spell with be greatly welcomed by many

Posted ImagePosted Image

• Like 4

Posted

High pressure over Scandinavia by day 9 - not quite the right shape to get the cold to us, but still pleasing (and if it came off, it would be a lot cooler and drier!)

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm2161.gif

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Rather chilly looking end to the ECM, it's a little better, mainly for developing a slightly better cut off low over the Med which brings some cold air our way. Cold, dry and frosty sum it up. We need a trigger low or shortwave to go south east earlier on to support something more substantial than a slack south easterly.

• Like 1

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2014010412/ECM1-240.GIF?04-0

Well ironically at 240 the ECM shows a very raw continental flow & a shallow system moving south across the UK in -3 to -5c air

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2014010412/ECF0-240.GIF?04-0

Possible snow there-

Anyway I much prefer the JMA solution with the heights holding in situ at a more Northerly locale ready for the second bite...

S

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Hi all, forgive my total lack of knowledge here, but just wondering about the Ice storm hitting NY and Canada. What is the possibility of that weather coming our way - even as more rain? Doesn't it often follow that what they get we get a week later - or is that an old wives tale??

Many thanks, Woody

Posted

Hi all, forgive my total lack of knowledge here, but just wondering about the Ice storm hitting NY and Canada. What is the possibility of that weather coming our way - even as more rain? Doesn't it often follow that what they get we get a week later - or is that an old wives tale?? Many thanks, Woody

A bit of an old wives tale really unfortunately. If any weather was to affect us from the US it would be in the form of wind and rain, any real cold for us usually comes from the North or East during winter months.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather
Hi all, forgive my total lack of knowledge here, but just wondering about the Ice storm hitting NY and Canada. What is the possibility of that weather coming our way - even as more rain? Doesn't it often follow that what they get we get a week later - or is that an old wives tale??Many thanks, Woody
no its not an old wives tail .if we are in a cold pattern say high pressure somewhere to our north and its mainly dry what happens is low pressure exiting the states moves across the atlantic and can bring snow if it moves close to the uk ,but it does not happen very often ,you need the right weather patterns especially the jet aligned right .Im feeling a bit more upbeat tonight lets hope something is a lurking out there perhaps at day 10/11 .cheers .just would add that i meant weather system rather than any wintry element making it across the atlantic ,cheers . Edited by J10
  • Like 1

Posted

Very pleased with tonights outputs, even though the ECM doesn't deliver a deep cold easterly it will be much colder than recently. Theres still also a chance that it could develop more favourably.

Earlier the easterly carrot is still dangled because of the fine margins that could tip the balance that way, I think we have to look upstream once again to see how the pattern there will effect the amplification in the mid Atlantic because with a bit more sharpness upstream we could get a better kick north of the high.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

I have to say C with all respect, people have been following the Ens since late autumn and they have offered no more in the way of guidance than simply following the operational’s and using a little knowledge and some common sense, they chop, change and trend this way and that in much the same way, which is not surprising as they come from the same data, just tweaked. If over the years I had a tenner for every time this thread had been advised that the Ens would cast some light on the way ahead, only for the Ens to show nothing of the sort, I'd have accumulated a large pile of cash by now. The main problem for all modelling, is that the starting data is constantly changing, the Ens are supposed to help with that fact, but what you end up with is Bertie Bots every flavour of jelly bean, with little idea of which one isn’t poisoned, thus people on this thread just go with whatever most suits their preference, usually cold in winter because that’s what most of us are looking for. In terms of the tweaking there must be a set criteria for the way each perturbation is set, so with every new run with its change in data a corresponding pre-set change must be made to each ensemble run, therefore an ensemble spread can only be of real use when analysing the run that they were derived from, trying to put them in the context of several runs over several days in an attempt to look for trends is fraught with even more problems than attempting to find a trend in just the operational’s, this is because the greater number of perturbations the greater spread of possible outcomes, in other words spotting the correct trend can become like looking for a needle in a haystack, especially given that the chaotic nature of climate means that even when something looks to have wide support it still has a massive chance of not being the correct trend, in other words you may have a good cluster of members supporting a similar evolution but a single member with no support could conceivably be the correct call. I hope this make sense it does to me at least LOL

I guess that is when a little experience comes in handy as well. I would say that when the ensemble trends in the same direction that the MJO, GWO and strat data point to then one will have a far better chance of picking out that needle in a haystack. Also you will have a far better chance of picking a trend looking at all of the ensembles over all the output over a number of runs, rather than just looking at the deterministic runs. I guess that you are trying to say that the ensembles can occasionally lead you up a garden path, but more often than not they will spot a trend especially if one looks at the cumulative anomalies set over a number of days.

• Like 9